Mono Powered Heresy Project Thread

twk123

3 hours ago, ricktate said:

WOW wish I could hear that baby. Do you think if you used 2 amps bass would be better. I have seen some single Heresys for sale but never thought of doing this great idea. How much you got into this so far ???

Its actually been pretty economical. I got the HIP for $150 and the rest of the parts have been around $50 so $200 total. I think the biggest issue with the bass is the cab itself and not the amp although I have considered using the L/R channels of the amp to bi-amp the speaker at the mid/tweet and woofer level. This ended up being too complex though as far as crossover mods and issues with the Wye mono converter though. As far as output, for indoor use I can barely crank the volume past 25% without blowing myself out of the room. Outdoor I can usually crank it up and it could use a little more juice at times and outside is where you really notice the lack of bass. I am considering building a small 12'' subwoofer for it to sit on but need to figure out the wiring for it. If you are going to buy a single Heresy that is not a professional model I would make sure to get some quality handles for either side like the ones listed below. The Heresy is actually fairly heavy to move around but with two handles it will be more comfortable as the single handle on the top of the HIP model is awkward to carry with.

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-surface-mount-flip-handle-black--262-831

All in all it has been an extremely rewarding and fun project. It is cool to take it outside and have a single speaker sitting there with no power cords etc and still be blasting away. If I get the funds I might try to put in a Firefly DAC and have an additional USB plug in.