The magic is back

oldenough

A couple of years ago my Marantz 2245 decided to give up after 40+ years of good service, now after giving a few modern alternatives a whirl the Marantz is back from major surgery...The difference is startling, to the point even my wife made commentary on the sound. The best $350 I  have spent. It's also nice to once again have the blue lights and champagne face plate to look at....:D

• Like 5

I was really torn about whether to have it repaired or not, there are a lot of people who debate the vintage vs modern argument, but as is usual in audio circles no consensus is ever formed. I really didn't know what to expect, and was ready to except the fact I could be throwing my money away. For me this was a winner. 

• Like 5

Hi dtel, I may now get my HK 630 in for surgery after this experience. I don't try to over analyze what it is I am hearing, but I have a pretty good reference point to go back to, in as much that I also have a Marantz 2240, it has a very similar sound to the 2245 before the over-haul, and I often tried to compare them, the 2245 did have a slightly tubbier sound, but nothing really stood out 'tween the two of them....But now in comparison the newly re-furbished 2245 is a night & day difference, detailed, tight and punchy...and a superior sound-stage. One thing that surprised me was the new electrolytic caps, tiny little things in comparison to the originals, but I guess cap technology has moved on in forty yrs +.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, oldenough said:

but I guess cap technology has moved on in forty yrs +.

Probably so but the 40 years sure didn't help the caps either.

The first time I connected the new Cornwall's to the HK I headed over to turn off the sub., not thinking. The sub was connected to the HTR and not to the HK at all, that was just the difference from the bass, but it did improve everything overall, greatly. 

• Like 2

Congrats on your old "new" friend. I had a similar quandary debating whether I should have my Sony STR 7055 recapped. $400 and weeks later I can subjectively say it was money well spent and I have no regrets.

However, I also bought a NIB Sony STR 7045 a model lower and that one sounds VERY similar to the recapped one. The only are that the new restored one shines is in bass management. The attack, decay and the way it handles "double bass tones" has a huge lead over the non recapped model. I attribute that to the new power supplies. 

I also have a Marantz being restored and am looking forward to hearing it.

Congratulations.  Photos would be welcomed.

My h/k 730 just got back from a full restoration.  It sounds fantastic.  A h/k 630 is in for service at this moment.  As in your experience, my wife remarked at the quality of the sound from the freshly restored 730.

Rick-

My restoration guy is a reluctant solid state tech.  He would admit that it has taken way too long.  I doubt he is taking on more such work.  I could ask him, but life has gotten complicated for him, putting his electronics tech hobby/business on a back burner.   Others here can suggest qualified techs.

As to costs.  It could run from $150 to $500, depending on variables.  IMO the h/k "twin powered" ( dual power transformers) are worth the investment.  Of course there are many other worthy vintage receivers and amps, but my experience is with the h/kx30 receivers.

Feel fee to PM to discuss in greater detail.  My guy did my son's 430 a few years ago.  My son still loves it with his Heresy speakers.

• Like 1