Type A 4500 question

jason str

58 minutes ago, Marvel said:

That's awesome, Jason! I have my new baffles for the woofer mounting put in place and the K-400 horns installed (rear mounted... tired and just want them done). Since I have the doghouses opened up I need to add the strips to close the backs and put the two ports in (or build the slot port). Put all the parts back in and try them out. I really miss the big sound that La Scalas have.

Be sure to post pictures.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I am a big believer that a lot of little changes can pay off big in the overall sound.  That sounds like what you did.

I had Dayton capacitors for the midrange and the tweeter, the Dayton is still in there for the tweeter but i replaced the mid capacitor with the Audyn because i had to change value anyways, its a little less veiled than the Dayton.

My last set had the AL-3 and K-401 squawkers and i used a can of Quiet Kote spray on each of those horns as well.

Had some 14 Gauge from other projects so i used some.

Using my older Pioneer VSX something right now, sounds lifeless but wanted to bring the better equipment in for the winter. I am looking to get rid of the Pioneer VSX, SX 780 and Kenwood 9010 and get one of the new Pioneer models or something to replace the old stuff.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the answers.  I am just slightly behind you in terms of making my own mods, so I am following what you do closely.

+++

I thought those caps looked like Daytons, but I thought the Daytons were always yellow on the ends.  It must have been the camera playing tricks.

+++

With the damping material, are you trying to correct a specific flaw in the mid (like ringing, harshness, etc), or are you damping for general improvement purposes?

I damped the horns in my CF-4's to try to get rid of a harshness, and was successful.

+++

I am with you in trying to get the Khorns (LS in your case) to sound good with modern AVR's.  I am sure if I put a lot of money into tubes my Khorns would sound great, but I like the convenience of the AVR so I want my Khorns to sound good with my Onkyo 717.

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Thanks for all the answers.  I am just slightly behind you in terms of making my own mods, so I am following what you do closely.

+++

I thought those caps looked like Daytons, but I thought the Daytons were always yellow on the ends.  It must have been the camera playing tricks.

+++

With the damping material, are you trying to correct a specific flaw in the mid (like ringing, harshness, etc), or are you damping for general improvement purposes?

I damped the horns in my CF-4's to try to get rid of a harshness, and was successful.

+++

I am with you in trying to get the Khorns (LS in your case) to sound good with modern AVR's.  I am sure if I put a lot of money into tubes my Khorns would sound great, but I like the convenience of the AVR so I want my Khorns to sound good with my Onkyo 717.

Just about any horn benefits from dampening, the less distortion the better the sound.

The new Pioneer Elite amplifiers have great reviews, still probably not as nice as good separates but its for the shop so can't go crazy with it.

Schematic is the same with the exceptions of moving the Squawker taps from 4 to tap 3 and 5 to Y.

Replacing the 13 uF capacitor value for a 8.2 uF.

Sound is much more balanced and squawker no longer in you're face but not lagging behind the tweeter or bass bin.

Results have exceeded expectations.

Just follow the thread and you will have no troubles. :emotion-21: