Does somethng happen to a signal when you use a split input?

Schu

I am wondering if anything is happening to the signal in a wire if you run that signal into a split connection ...

I am trying to run my HT and 2-channel somewhat separate from each other save for the main amplification, so I tried to run a pioneer integrated in pre out to a Y splitter then into my monoblocks... the other end of the Y is connected to my tube pre amp for 2-channel but something is being lost in the translation. The system doesnt seem to suffer in as far as HT is concerned, but the 2-channel sound is flat and lifeless. Is the fact that the Y is connected to two sources atthe same time disturb the signal when I am trying to use the system for critical listening?

I dont mind manually switching out the rca cables depending on how the system is going to be used, but I am trying to understand what is changing... both systems are NOT on at the same time, obviously.

Schu, use a Niles SKP-1 in reverse and a 12 volt trigger to do the switching. Here is mine that is unused now that had a Wii power supply and an A/C power switch as well. The far left unit is a Global Cache that was wired into an IR receiver so that my Harmony could control it.

Golbal Cache Board.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Schu, use a Niles SKP-1 in reverse and a 12 volt trigger to do the switching.

Tyvm...

Better than a manual switcher?

I guess the original question is, does something happen to the signal when they are not separated...

I am curious about the splitting also but in my setup there was zero signal degradation.  A was the HT amp to the Belle L&R and B was from my VRD monos to the Belles. I had the Harmony set for a slight delay just to ensure HT amp and VRDs never 'saw' each other.

That makes sense... thank you. I figured if was something about load or resistance etc...

I had already discounted doing it after trying it for about 5 minutes, it just wasnt working for me. I was just trying to make sense of why it would not work.

1 hour ago, Schu said:

That makes sense... thank you. I figured if was something about load or resistance etc...

I had already discounted doing it after trying it for about 5 minutes, it just wasnt working for me. I was just trying to make sense of why it would not work.

That makes sense to me, too.  I thought that was a good question.

I would have been afraid of having both amps/systems turned on at the same time by accident.  I know you would be careful, but  I have too many bad memories of dropping the needle on a turntable where I THOUGHT I had turned the sound down from the previous LOUD listening session. 

On 9/20/2016 at 7:53 PM, babadono said:

Schu, if I understand you correctly you are Y-ing 2 line level OUTPUTS into a single INPUT. NO, don't do that. Even with one off you are putting a load on the other one that is on that it does not like.

Right............he wasn't "splitting" anything.  He was using the splitter backwards and combining..................uh..........NO.