Conrad Johnson PV series tube preamps

dirtmudd

I have a CV-5 that I'll occasionally pull off the shelf. I played around with tubes a while back and found that Telefunken 12ax7's worked best with my TT setup. They tend toward clean and detailed which sounds pretty good through the somewhat warm PV-5's gain stage. On that note, I found the RCA triple mica black plate 5751 improved upon the originals a bit but most 5751's sound pretty close to each other in my experience and they used to be easy to pick up cheap at hamfests (I haven't been in years though) so no real reason to spend too much. PV-5's  originally shipped with GE 5751 (which are fine tubes if a bit warmer sounding than the RCA's) but now CJ uses Gold Lions so that should be a good option.

The PV3 uses four tubes three 12AX7 and one 12AT7's.  Can't recall what I finally settled on since it's been awhile since I rolled them, but I believe it's a mix of Russian and Telfunken.  Also if you are using the phono try reversing the arm wire leads to the cart.  The linestage is phase reverse, the phono is correct phase at the tape pout which means it's phased reversed at the cart, or something like that. I prefer listening with the leads reversed.

1 hour ago, thebes said:

The PV3 uses four tubes two 12AX7 and two 12AT7's.  Can't recall what I finally settled on since it's been awhile since I rolled them, but I believe it's a mix of Russian and Telfunken.  Also if you are using the phono try reversing the arm wire leads to the cart.  The linestage is phase reverse, the phono is correct phase at the tape pout which means it's phased reversed at the cart, or something like that. I prefer listening with the leads reversed.

How do I correct for a phase inverting component?

The total number of phase inversions in the system should be either 0 or an even number.

If you have an odd number of inversions (typically 1), compensate by inverting phase at the speaker terminals. Be sure to reverse the polarity on BOTH speaker terminals. In other words connect the amplifier positive (+ or red) connector to your speakers’ negative (“-” or black) connector for both sets of speaker wires.

How do I know if my conrad-johnson component is phase inverting?

Phase information on conrad-johnson products is in all but the earliest conrad-johnson owner’s manuals (PV1,PV2, PV3, MV45 and MV75).

Early conrad-johnson preamplifiers were phase correct (with the exceptions of the PV3 and the PV4 which inverted phase of line-level inputs). From the PV7 and the Premier 7 on, all conrad-johnson brand preamplifiers (both tube and solid-state) have been phase inverting in the line-stage.

All three pre-preamplifiers (HV1, HV2 and Premier Six) were phase inverting.

All conrad-johnson power amplifiers, tube and solid-state, are phase correct except the Premier 350.

• 2 weeks later...

If you possibly can, getting a PV-10 or newer is a very good idea, and avoiding the PV-8 is also a good idea.

Anything pre PV-8 has a lot of loop feedback around both the phono stage and the linestage, while the PV-10 plays catch up and eliminates all of that.  The PV-8 was an attempt at eliminating the loop feedback, but doing so by adding in a bunch of cathode followers all over the place. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2016 at 1:30 PM, audiowize said:

If you possibly can, getting a PV-10 or newer is a very good idea, and avoiding the PV-8 is also a good idea.

Anything pre PV-8 has a lot of loop feedback around both the phono stage and the linestage, while the PV-10 plays catch up and eliminates all of that.  The PV-8 was an attempt at eliminating the loop feedback, but doing so by adding in a bunch of cathode followers all over the place. 

So what should I do with my pv7?

• 7 months later...

I have been using a pv12 and premier 11a for many years. 

Have not heard better. 

I am using all nos tubes and it made a big difference . 

The most problematic tube is the 12au7 line stage in the pv12. 

I found the rca clear tops to be the most rugged in that position. The amperex bugle boys are the best sounding though. The rca's are cheap and easy to find though and sound very good. I think cj did not use a grid stop resistor and it's makes the stage very fussy. 

the second half is a cathode follower and they can be hard on the tube as well. 

The phono one stage is wonderful and 3D with bugle boys. 

Nos tubes are expensive but usually outlast and outperform modern tubes by a wide margin. 

I have the same set of rca 6550a in the pr 11a for over ten years. Same for the small signal tubes. I have a combination of rca and tungsols .  There are no electrolytic caps in either of my amps just film caps even in the power supply. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I really like my CJ PV. I have heard some concerns about the PV8 in the past. All the rest are quite good I would infer.

HH Scott LC21 or 130 would only be phono sections I like as well. Bass weight realism of instrument decay and soundstage are excellent.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

There are some good deals on the CJ Classic preamps.....  I have a Classic 2 SE and it sounds phenomenal......yeah it has zero features but if you can live with out balance or remote it is a real sleeper.   My DAC and streamer have remote volume so its not an issue for me.  But I have no problem getting up to adjust the volume.....it sounds that good i dont even care