RF-82 v RP-3 v RF-5 v ABC 123

LousyTourist

RF-5's have my vote, just picked up a pair myself and I'm still surprised by how good they sound every evening I turn them on. Never had the 63's or 82's. I myself considered the 63's but man are the cabinets deep, like 20 inches I believe and with rear ports, not sure they would have worked in my situation.

The RF-5's get my vote as well, one of my favorites. I have loved the sound of my RF-5's for about 15 years. For me the RF-5 is an excellent size, gorgeous styling with real wood veneer and one of the most natural sounding speakers I have heard with a very well balanced great bass. They really come alive when mated to the proper components.

• Like 1

RF-5s will provide you the best value and sound of the ones mentioned.  The RF-82s are nice, but wouldn't be able to out perform the 5s. As much as I've held reverence for the RP-3s, I'd prefer a dedicated sub to handle things under 60 Hz. I actually had chosen the RF-3s over the RP-3s when given the option.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, IbizaFlame said:

RF-5s will provide you the best value and sound of the ones mentioned.  The RF-82s are nice, but wouldn't be able to out perform the 5s. As much as I've held reverence for the RP-3s, I'd prefer a dedicated sub to handle things under 60 Hz. I actually had chosen the RF-3s over the RP-3s when given the option.

Good to see you IbizaFlame!

The RF-5 for sale is cherry, the guy has sanded them down but not refinished them, so they are looking a bit fugly. They also have a pushed in dust cover on one of the woofers. 

The RF 82 II's are NIB, and the right color (black). WAF is the major factor here; if it makes our living room look bad, it won't stay long.

As much as I'd like sound to be the deciding factor, it's not. If it were, I'd still have my Klipschorns, or maybe some Cornwalls  that a guy put Altec horns on top of (very low WAF).

If WAF is a factor and you don't want to put any work in, the 82's might be a better option.  However, if you aren't opposed to putting in some work, the RF-5's are still a better option.  Those speakers are some of the finest towers to have the Reference name tied to them.

14 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Good to see you IbizaFlame!

Howdy there, buddy.  Good to see you too!

• Like 1