Advise on JBL's

MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE

Need some advise....

I have a chance to buy some JBL's. These are there Pro cinema line. 

JBL 4648a bass bins

JBL 2446j driver with the JBL 2380a horn & the mounting bracket...

Why do I want em??? Well just look at em.... they look awesome.... the guy has three pair... I think the price is $1100 a pair??? The guy is from Taiwan so there was some communication break down...

Anybody heard these.... have em?? .... what do ya think??

MKP :-)

00G0G_1vzrSjUZQNd_1200x900.jpg

The top horn and driver combos are fetching about $500 (maybe more like $600) a pair right now.  The bass bins I am not so sure, but I don't think they are worth the additional $500.00 (that's just me).  Is it a bad price? Not so much, but its not a steal either.  I think they would sound great.  Do you know if they have a passive crossover?  if not you will need and active crossover and two amps to run them.  Three of those babies would make a decent L/C/R for a home theater.

• Like 1

Here is the equivalent Klipsch product: http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/KPT-904-Data-Sheet-v03.pdf

KPT-904-Angled.jpg

I've heard this one: http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/KPT-942-Data-Sheet-v03.pdf

KPT-942-Angled.jpg

...and the 4 x 15" bass bin:  http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/KPT-942-4-B-Data-Sheet-v04.pdf

KPT-942-4-Angled-THX_160128_095400.jpg

They both sounded very authoritative and impressive, with room-filling imaging and bass.  These three are all from the "behind the screen" cinema product line,

Chris

• Like 2

14 hours ago, The Dude said:

I think they would sound great.  Do you know if they have a passive crossover?  if not you will need and active crossover and two amps to run them.  Three of those babies would make a decent L/C/R for a home theater.

Yea Nick I think they would kick......I don't know how the crossovers are set up... I'll know more once I see them. I'm still thinking what I'm going off to get these..... There would be no way I could pull off a HT set-up with those.... I just want to check them out for 2 channel...

14 hours ago, Chris A said:

They both sounded very authoritative and impressive, with room-filling imaging and bass.

Yes Chris I was also thinking of the cinema product line when looking at the JBL's.... I have never seen or heard any of ether in person...

Thanks all......

Still kicking it around...gotta talk to the wife/BOSS..... she's the one doesn't want to sell off gear to check new stuff out... I got to run it by her what I want to part with.... If not this weekend maybe next??? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK.... The wife and I got back an hour ago or so with the JBL's:emotion-21::emotion-21:..... yea there BAD A$$.... also picked up a Crown Macro-Tech 2400 amp.... the wife wanted that... hey if the wife wants a Macro-Tech, I'm not saying no...

So if you guys could help me out with a active crossover.....please give some advise..... not looking to spend a bunch of coin... just something to get me up and running.... 

I saw a few on partsexpress around the $200 range...

Loading pics...

IMG_20161002_182604.jpg

IMG_20161002_183231.jpg

Little update on the JBL's...

Had my audio bud come over last night that knows a lot about active x-overs. He bought one over last night and we got the JBL's pumping....  We didn't have all the cables to get the Crown hooked up. So we used a Carver PM 1.5 for the horns and a Carver TFM-42 to drive the bass bins...

Over all I was really happy with the sound they put out.... It really was on another level.... But My bud Ryan told me once I get a better x-over then we can hear what those JBL's can do... We quickly found out that those four 15" woofers in those bass bins ate up all the power that Carver TFM-42 had..... we didn't clip the amp, but you could tell they wanted more power... We might have been putting 2/3 watts to the horns..

So the x-over I'm looking at is DBX driverack PA2.... He was telling me this x-over can do a lot for the money...

th?id=OIP.Mf76e03c81f7796d64c812fe8191e6003o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=337&h=76

Think I'm going to order this Monday.....

Even my wife was blown away by the sound these monsters put out.... So far really happy with the JBL's.... I got a lot to learn:D

• Like 2

I dont know how the dbx compares to Behringer. But i believe mark1011 had a behringer crossover for sale around your price range. I have an Ashley unit and i will say its a big improvement over a minidsp. Just depends if you want digital or analog.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

MKP, good to see you have found another rabbit hole. You have pretty much covered Klipsch and Carver. Venturing into pro gear should keep you stimulated for quite some time. Good luck on the x over search, can't help you there. Continue to have fun with this stuff!

• Like 1