rec amp/reciever for KLF-20s

dereksbelanger

Hello Klipsch community!

I just nabbed a pair of KLF-20s which I'd like to connect to my media center (its a PC). I only have the two speakers and don't plan on adding more. The PC has AUX, S/PDIF, HDMI and DP outputs. The room is 20x25 with 8' ceiling. So, now I need a amp or receiver. I don't need any features, just something that will drive the speakers correctly.

Would it be crazy to try something inexpensive like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016ZSGWX4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ADPE7GPX91ORE

Recommendations?

Thanks!

Dereksbelanger,

Welcome to the forum.

The KLF-20's don't "need" a ton of power but they sure like some quality amplification for their full potential.

I don't know what your max budget is nor if you are willing to go with used gear but a nice quality integrated amp with 80w/ch or more should drive them just fine.

Your room is on the medium/large side so some good headroom will be a plus. 

Where are you located?

Bill

Welcome to the forum.  Willand is correct in a good qaulity amp is needed to get the most out of the speakers.  Other factors will also make the speakers sound better such as, positioning, and minor room adjustments.  How far back are you sitting and how far apart are the speakers?  How far are the speakers from the back wall and side wall?

3 hours ago, dereksbelanger said:

Thanks for the welcome and reply! I'm in central Massachusetts. Used is ok, maybe even preferred :) I'd love to find something for $150

Tight budget but with good timing(and luck), it is doable.

Was not able to find(on Craigslist) any 2-channel setups in your area that fell in the $150.00 category but I did find this.

https://worcester.craigslist.org/ele/5747522156.html

Not the most ideal for a dedicated stereo setup but highly acclaimed(for stereo and HT) early 2000's flagship AVR.  Tips the scales at close to 50lbs.

Bill

• Like 1

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/48097/sherbourn-2-channel-amp

This Sherbourn 100 wpc basic amp just sold on the Emotiva lounge before i could link it to you...sorry. Good luck with your search!

I have at least one of these Panasonic SA-HE200 receivers hanging around. 100 wpc in stereo. Mine is black. If you ever wish to expand into HT later it offers 6.1 and sounds pretty darned good. Everything but HDMI.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-riv7mDaVr44/p_133SAHE2HS/Panasonic-SA-HE200-Silver.html

Happy to ship it to you for $100 if you are interested.

Tim

16 hours ago, willland said:

Tight budget but with good timing(and luck), it is doable.

Was not able to find(on Craigslist) any 2-channel setups in your area that fell in the $150.00 category but I did find this.

https://worcester.craigslist.org/ele/5747522156.html

Not the most ideal for a dedicated stereo setup but highly acclaimed(for stereo and HT) early 2000's flagship AVR.  Tips the scales at close to 50lbs.

Bill

With her top off one can see she's built very well.

Image result for DENON AVR-5700

5 hours ago, dereksbelanger said:

LOL! The back of that receiver is hilarious :) 

I'm going to see if its still available. Thanks for recommendation, Weber!

Actually, that was Willland's recommendation. I was impressed by what they stuffed inside and, like you, I was impressed by the jacks and jills back there. 

24 minutes ago, Weber said:

Actually, that was Willland's recommendation. I was impressed by what they stuffed inside and, like you, I was impressed by the jacks and jills back there. 

Hey, I don't need any credit.  When the OP said he wanted to spend $150.00, the choices are slim.  Now if he could stretch it to $300.00+, then the pick'ins ain't so slim.

Bill

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dereksbelanger said:

Sure, what you got to recommend for $300, Willand? That Denon is pretty sweet for $150

Just a way to expand your choices.  And yes, I think that Denon is a fine deal at that price.

Here is a good one.  Don't be put off by it's "50w/ch".  Superb dynamic power.  Has stereo preouts if you wanted to add a more powerful amp later.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/5795463934.html  

NAD C325BEE pictured on bottom.  Maybe offer seller $275.00 and see if he will budge. 

Bill

I've got 2 pair of KLF-20's now. I'm driving a 5.1 HT setup with a Pioneer Elite SC-61 which sounds wonderful to me which I got for $500 bucks several years ago. I just setup a 2 channel room with my old gear which is a Parasound HCA-2205A that is very powerful at 220 watts per channel paired with a Lexicon DC-2 preamp. I'm not one for hyperbole but there is clearly more detail in my legacy gear for music only with my 2 channel setup. That said anything normal with regards to specs and price range can drive KLF speakers very well and to nearly everyone's satisfaction. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just a couple days ago I managed to get the AVR-5700 for a good price. All hooked up and sounding pretty amazing! The only down side is that the Denon didn't come with a remote and there is a system setting by default cuts off frequency response below 80Hz.... which can only be configured with the remote. It could be that the setting was changed by a previous owner, but without the remote I cant even check. Anyway, not disappointed at all. Cant believe I have a system that sounds this good.... and all the sweeter when the whole deal came in under $500. You guys really helped with good advice. Thanks so much!