Upgrade bug!

marioramos

I have an upgrade bug. For my speakers. I have the original first gen rf7s. Love the speakers. Have had them for 14 years. And feel the need of a change. I have been looking at differ brands but none that strike me as an upgrade to the 7s. I have been looking at older klipsch models like the chorus 2s. All original. Would that older model speaker be a upgrade from the 7s? Also what is a fair price to pay for set of chorus 2 s?

thanks.

mario

• Like 1

you should make up a short list of speakers to listen to. Chorus ll, KLF30, CF4 would be good choices. KLF30 should have new ti tweeter diaphragms as the stock poly skins are not acceptable IMO.

It would be helpful if you could discuss what it is you are looking for in a new to you loudspeaker? What is it that constitutes an upgrade to you. I think that improving your system/room would be a better place to start as you have a very nice set of speakers already.

If you want a true "upgrade" you need to move to a speaker with horn loaded bass.  Horns provide less distortion, and I have found that to my ears that distortion muddys up. IOW the distortion from the bass causes lack of clarity in the mids and highs as well. Tell us where you live and maybe a forum member will have some big horns for you to listen to and hear the difference. It is not a quantity issue, but rather a quality one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, moray james said:

you should make up a short list of speakers to listen to. Chorus ll, KLF30, CF4 would be good choices. KLF30 should have new ti tweeter diaphragms as the stock poly skins are not acceptable IMO.

It would be helpful if you could discuss what it is you are looking for in a new to you loudspeaker? What is it that constitutes an upgrade to you. I think that improving your system/room would be a better place to start as you have a very nice set of speakers already.

I would not be overly enamored of the term "upgrade".  The speakers you list can sound quite different to your ears, but all may not agree with particular judgements, as you can see from all the opinions.  I much prefer the Heritage sound, like the Chorus, Forte, La Scala, and of course the Klipschorn.   The K-horn has bass extending to 32 Hz where the La Scala does not; the others have good and adequate bass.  What YOU have to do is listen to models you're interested in, as the Chorus sounds very different from the RF-7.  Only you can determine whether you'll like it.

I'd be a little cautious about jumping into crossovers and new drivers like tweeters, at least until you can hear them.  They may be OK, after all.

Good luck!

4 hours ago, ChuckAb3 said:

I'd check out the Heritage line for 2 ch listening especially, and also consider upgrading the quality (not necessarily the power) of my electronics at the same time. Takes some time and research, but I've found that it can make a real difference. Good luck.

I think over the years I have but together a pretty good setup , trying lots of different components at least what I can afford. The speakers r not getting  any lack of current as I know watts don't mean much with speakers like these. 10 watts combined both Channals is as much as my ears can handle. My amp shows with meters how much power is used at all times