Upgrade bug!

marioramos

Not a clue what the mod costs.

I will see if I can find the instructions so you can mod the crossovers yourself.

Here is what I could find. I think Dean said the most critical part of this mod was to parallel the 10 ohm resistor with the 2 ohm.

I believe the resistors need to 10-12 watt.

The capacitors: use whatever brand you like, don't mess with the inductors.

I believe I used Dayton capacitors.

You have to get a little creative to get some of the parts to fit.

I have also read dynamat the back of the hf horn. This mod I never did.

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0913.JPGIMG_0912.JPGIMG_0914.JPG

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John Albright said:

I'd say you need an electronics upgrade.  Something in the 50 to 100 watts with a high Class A/Class AB crossover point.  Like an Aragon 2004, perhaps a First Watt Amp, or McIntosh. 

John may be on to something.

What preamp are you using to drive that Monster amp?

Bill

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Albright said:

I'd say you need an electronics upgrade.  Something in the 50 to 100 watts with a high Class A/Class AB crossover point.  Like an Aragon 2004, perhaps a First Watt Amp, or McIntosh. 

whats the deal with this class A amp stuff? i hear a lot about it. I do know some amps do class a for the first ten watts of so and then kick in to class A/Ab.

I do like that. what would be the benefit of this.

On 9/25/2016 at 7:35 PM, marioramos said:

whats the deal with this class A amp stuff? i hear a lot about it. I do know some amps do class a for the first ten watts of so and then kick in to class A/Ab.

I do like that. what would be the benefit of this.

Most amps switch frpm Class A to Class AB around 1 watt. 

In Class A, the transistors (or tubes) are "on" (conducting current and amplifying) 100% of the time.  That generates a lot of waste heat.  They often get too hot to touch. 

In class B, each pair of transistors (or tubes) are "on" 50% of the time and handles only the positive or negative side of the wave, but there is a start up period for each transistor at the crossover from positive to negative that results in distortion. 

In Class AB, each of the pair of transistors operate on both sides of the signal wave, for a small part of the voltage swing.  For instance, maybe the positive transistor operates from -3 volts to +25 volts and the negative transistor runs from +3V to -25V.  That eliminates the crossover distortion and, .... as long as the output signal stays under 3V, the amp is running in Class A.  3V is 1.1 watts into 8 ohms.  

amplifier17.gif?x98918

Notice the shape of the waves near "V out", showing each transistor "on" for a bit on the opposite side of the output wave.