Measure Of Todays Youth

JJkizak

23 minutes ago, Weber said:

Just curious as to what you think the debate will be. 

It most certainly will be along the same lines as today but the taxpayer base has statistically changed (i.e., less workers more retirees expecting benefits--Iow, "participation trophies." B) 

18 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

This is really a pathetic thread.  "Hey, let's think of all the negative things we can about today's youth".....yea, that's productive.  Waaaa, Waaa, freakin' Waaaa.

Have you checked the demographics in the poll question regarding age? Startling!  :huh: Okay, not really. For the record, I find nothing wrong with the thread but the pitting of generations in a political sense is going to come--Follow the money and who in the hell wants to pay more taxes....

8 minutes ago, Budman said:

i was eating lunch yesterday at a chinese buffet and a mother was fixing the plate for her son ( he had to be 15 yrs old ) who just pointed at what he wanted and she put it on and carried it back to the table and he started eating

As a person who sometimes eats at buffets please let me thank this mother--I'd rather not have any 15 year old around my food and don't think about when I eat fast food.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

It most certainly will be along the same lines as today but the taxpayer base has statistically changed (i.e., less workers more retirees expecting benefits--Iow, "participation trophies." B) 

Participation trophies are for the ones who didn't even have to participate while retirees who've been paying in have been the contributors...no?

20 minutes ago, Weber said:

Participation trophies are for the ones who didn't even have to participate while retirees who've been paying in have been the contributors...no?

"participate," is the key term that will need clarification in these discussions and your point above will come from the old guys--The young folks will say "your benefits far outway what you've contributed and what's more it's your generation who broke the system. "

Again, I am not siding with one or the other just showing how these things go---In a perfect world I wish we could discuss these issues without insults being thrown, but of course the lowest denominator wins because it's easier to piss someone off than try and get them to see your POV--Even more difficult when you think compromise can be reached to benefit all, but...I don't make the rules.

• Like 1

I am blaming the parents of this lazy generation than I am the lazy generation. I know of several people who are letting their children live with them for no good reason - children who are close to 30 years old won't try to get a good job, and if required to get to work on time and produce something of value for the company, will quit and go back home. 

2 minutes ago, Weber said:

I am blaming the parents of this lazy generation than I am the lazy generation. I know of several people who are letting their children live with them for no good reason -

That's a judgement call and insinuating all of the parents are negligent. Of course, I bet you don't feel that way and can recognize that there are also a lot of good parents out there as well...Good and bad in both/all generations and that's coming from a guy who rallied against those religious nuts when I was growing up.

Most of us have done rotten things growing up, boys will be boys.

I remember putting condoms in the salad dressing at the local buffet, M-80's in mailboxes, flaming bags of dog crap on steps, ETC...

Just need to mature and realize life is not all fun and games.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jason str said:

Most of us have done rotten things growing up, boys will be boys.

I remember putting condoms in the salad dressing at the local buffet, M-80's in mailboxes, flaming bags of dog crap on steps, ETC...

Just need to mature and realize life is not all fun and games.

Yeah, we did stuff like that too.

We would do stuff like cut peoples grass when they were gone and then laugh about them wondering who did that. Sometimes we would wash and wax their cars late at night and we would use their water doing it.

2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

That's a judgement call and insinuating all of the parents are negligent. Of course, I bet you don't feel that way and can recognize that there are also a lot of good parents out there as well...Good and bad in both/all generations and that's coming from a guy who rallied against those religious nuts when I was growing up.

Too many are neglecting to do the right thing in fear of hurting the kid's feelings...even if the kid is 28 years old.