Measure Of Todays Youth

JJkizak

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 5:08 PM, JJkizak said:

It's also a wonderment to me how fast their fingers manipulate those tiny cell phone buttons. I just watch them in a state of fascination. My finger hits two buttons at once so they must have undersized fingers.

JJK

They got tiny little hands and tiny little feet

They drive tiny little cars

That go beep...beep....beep

• Like 2

On 9/23/2016 at 2:58 PM, SWL said:

I'm THIS close to pulling one of them over and slapping them silly when I see this....... daily. Can't tell you how many times I've had a vehicle coming at me head-on and you know damn well it's because they're texting. It's as bad or worse than driving drunk.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

It is illegal to text while driving in some states ... lots of tickets being given out.

It's not just the kid's fault - who raised them? When I see an irresponsible young adult I often see that they were raised by someone who isn't a parent (IMO) but rather a "pal". I see 28 year old young men and women with no job, still living at home, hanging out, smoking weed with mom. I see 20 year olds who don't even have a drivers license because the parent will take them wherever they want to go. Often this sort of thing occurs in single parent families. I believe that one of the best things a responsible parent can do is to instill a work ethic in their children at an early age.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, garyrc said:

It is illegal to text while driving in some states ... lots of tickets being given out.

The penalty isn't harsh enough yet. $35 fine? Arrested, loss of driving privilege for a long period, a fine based on household income. If that doesn't work, make it tougher.  

a small fine is reactive while a stiff penalty can be a deterrent. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Weber said:

The penalty isn't harsh enough yet. $35 fine? Arrested, loss of driving privilege for a long period, a fine based on household income. If that doesn't work, make it tougher.  

a small fine is reactive while a stiff penalty can be a deterrent. 

slightly OT but...

just IMO, isn't that how the legal system & penal system should be structured?  I vaguely remember the cop show Baretta (sp?) with Tony Blake.  wasn't his motto "don't do the crime if you can't do the time?"

shouldn't the penalty be a deterrent against any perceived benefit of committing the crime?

23 minutes ago, -js- said:

shouldn't the penalty be a deterrent against any perceived benefit of committing the crime?

I haven't followed the last couple of pages but if we are still talking about younger folks--I can tell you from experience that not many consider it that much compared to the instant gratification they get from doing it. Btw, it is a generational thing because as folks get older they suffer the scars or have too close of call to keep playing by those rules...My 2 cents.

The youth of today don't realize how much they don't know. I have heard people say that the millenials are the best educated generation. Honestly, I learned more during the 46 years after college than in my first 22 years on the planet. Millenials are still young, give them time; experience is the best teacher.

11 minutes ago, Don Richard said:

The youth of today don't realize how much they don't know. I have heard people say that the millenials are the best educated generation. Honestly, I learned more during the 46 years after college than in my first 22 years on the planet. Millenials are still young, give them time; experience is the best teacher.

Agreed, but that could be said of any generation--My mom said the older I get the smarter she and dad would look....Honestly, I still don't see it that way but I get the gist of what she was saying.

25 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Agreed, but that could be said of any generation--My mom said the older I get the smarter she and dad would look....Honestly, I still don't see it that way but I get the gist of what she was saying.

Wait until you are the older generation, it will all become clear to you then.;)

• Like 1

My son is 27 and my daughter is 24.  Son graduated magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from college with a degree in neuroscience/premed. He worked at St. Jude hospital in the summers in college and volunteered at a free medical clinic.  He just finished four years of medical school and is in his first year of residency at Duke Hospital.  Very organized and aware of his surroundings.  My daughter graduated with a degree in graphic design, got a job in one month after college (in a very tight market) worked for a large liquor distributor for two years, became the lead designer then just started a new job a month ago with the 175th largest engineering firm in the nation.  Supports herself.  No problems with drugs or alcohol abuse with either.  Neither married yet - I hope they let me pick their mates!!!!!!!

I tell them all the time that you can't fix stupid.  Think about what is going on in this country and don't believe everything you see in the media.  Mighty proud of both of them.  Best compliment is they are nice people with tons of friends.

Fells good to brag on our kids!  Wish I could say some of that about myself!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Richard said:

Wait until you are the older generation, it will all become clear to you then.;)

^ ^ ^ THIS !  very much agree.  also agree with the post from Zen Traveler that you quoted  - that the older I get, the smarter my parents get.  a WHOOOOOLE lot of truth in that!!!

2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

I haven't followed the last couple of pages but if we are still talking about younger folks--I can tell you from experience that not many consider it that much compared to the instant gratification they get from doing it. Btw, it is a generational thing because as folks get older they suffer the scars or have too close of call to keep playing by those rules...My 2 cents.

sure - but not just directed re the younger folk of today but more toward everyone in general.  just my opinion, but maybe isn't that situation - where the penalty isn't really that much compared to the gratification gained from doing <whatever> - isn't that situation one where the penalties should be re-examined?  for example - say, a speeding ticket.  if the penalty is $50, not much deterrent from driving however fast I want.  now, if you raise the fine to say, $200, $300... yes, maybe that does border on excessive, but to me, that is a much more painful deterrent and much less worth the time recovered by driving faster.

2 hours ago, Don Richard said:

I agree with this as well.  seems like we are the last ones to realize that we don't know what we don't know.  experience is an excellent teacher - albeit sometimes a very painful one

5 hours ago, -js- said:

slightly OT but...

just IMO, isn't that how the legal system & penal system should be structured?  I vaguely remember the cop show Baretta (sp?) with Tony Blake.  wasn't his motto "don't do the crime if you can't do the time?"

Should, yes. Is it? No. A rich person paying  $500 fine isn't the same as me forking over $500. If someone has 10x the income, let them feel the fine commensurately. 

Also, I said household income because some snot nose kid living at mom and pops showing zero income should not get off the hook. 

Don't do the crime if you can't pay the time were lyrics from the theme song of Baretta.  I used to watch as a night owl with my mom, all of the episodes.  His dis dat rants were legendary, and the cockatiel was ever present to lighten the mood.  Weber, your sliding scale for fines is the Swedish model, or at least it used to be I'm not sure these days.  Ironically Blake ran into his own legal troubles...

Oh yeah, Keep your eye on the sparrow...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Weber said:

Should, yes. Is it? No. A rich person paying  $500 fine isn't the same as me forking over $500. If someone has 10x the income, let them feel the fine commensurately. 

Also, I said household income because some snot nose kid living at mom and pops showing zero income should not get off the hook. 

sure - makes perfect sense to me.  agree +100.

12 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Don't do the crime if you can't pay the time were lyrics from the theme song of Baretta.  I used to watch as a night owl with my mom, all of the episodes.  His dis dat rants were legendary, and the cockatiel was ever present to lighten the mood.  Weber, your sliding scale for fines is the Swedish model, or at least it used to be I'm not sure these days.  Ironically Blake ran into his own legal troubles...

Oh yeah, Keep your eye on the sparrow...

thanks for the detail oldtimer.  and IDK anything about the Swedish model of which you speak, but methinks I like the principle of it.

Crime and punishment!!!  We could talk about this for days.    Taking the drivers license has a greater effect.  Even  then  people will still drive until they get caught.  They still drink and drive even though there are pretty stiff laws against that.

My wife scolds me all the time about my comments directed at other drivers.  When I break into my "when I was young we had to . . . . . ." tirade.    We walked 5 miles to school each way everyday in the snow and it was uphill, both ways!

Seriously though, young drivers don't use blinkers to warn of a lane change - or even worse they turn on the blinker AFTER they have completed the lane change which eliminates the "warning"  function of the blinker.  It is there to tell other drivers "I'm about to change lanes"  or as we say in the south, "I reckon I'm a fixin to move over".   This is like putting the "highway out" sign on the other side of the sinkhole.

Also young drivers follow too close and don't realize perception/reaction time and feet per second calculations until after they run into the rear of someone.  They probably won't see the car they are about to hit because they're playing with their phone.

Music has changed as well - from the songs that had great story lines and quotes to the new what's on my mind this second lyrics..

Okay call me old and crotchety (hope that's a word).  I'm reminded of the quote from the Network movie where the guy opens the window and yells "I'm mad as -ell and I'm not going to take this  anymore"?   I think  I've become that guy and its scary!

• Like 1

Okay, Old Timer you got me on that one!

Heck I loved the Eagles because their songs were stories and  observations on life which we could all connect with at some point in time.  Same with Jim Croce, CCR, Stones, and Miley Cyrus. 

Country songs - You don't have to call me darlin darlin.  Greatest last verse of any song.

Okay, I'm kidding about Miley.

The last thing you want to be is an ex boyfriend of Taylor Swift.

• Like 1