Mono Powered Heresy X-Over Idea

twk123

This is a separate thread to go over the crossover and bi-amp possibilities for the "Tactical Heresy" project. I am going to use a summing network with resistors to create a mono signal but figured I am just wasting a amp channel on my Class T amp. So I figured maybe I can split the signal again to utilize both the L/R on the amp but then use those outputs to Bi-Amp my mono HIP Speaker. Here is the schematic for the project (Red line are +). Do you guys think this will be possible and what would need to be changed if anything?

Normal HIP Crossover

post-30216-0-64200000-1436257409.jpg

Bi-Amped Mono Network:

HIP Bi Amp Mono.jpg

It would seem as though he wants to use all available power from his little amp utilizing both channels into a single speaker and at the same time merging both channels into mono so as not to lose information from the source like you would if you only ran a single channel. I did not know that you could merge a left and right signal like that, seems as though there would be a need for some processing of the signals to prevent overlap? I admit I know nothing about these things though but find it interesting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schu said:

I am wondering what you are hoping to gain by doing this?

I am curious...

At the end of the day using the L/R channels to bi-amp the speaker probably wont make any difference at it gets plenty loud with just one channel and I usually cant even crank the 15 w amp past 25% anyway. That being said, it would be interesting to get it to work from a purely academic perspective.

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

It would seem as though he wants to use all available power from his little amp utilizing both channels into a single speaker and at the same time merging both channels into mono so as not to lose information from the source like you would if you only ran a single channel. I did not know that you could merge a left and right signal like that, seems as though there would be a need for some processing of the signals to prevent overlap? I admit I know nothing about these things though but find it interesting.

That is correct. I looked up some info on other DIY forums and it appears you can merge a L/R into mono as long as you use some resistors so you dont push too much power through the input of the amp and back into the source. This was the ohms that was generally recommended so I figured I would start there and see what the experts here say.

The question I have is if the amp will "see" the woofer and the mid/tweet combo as the same ohms so the output will still be balanced.

1 hour ago, Don Richard said:

Are the mid and tweeter polarities correct?

It is not good to wye outputs, unless resistors are used like the for bass channel. It's OK to wye one output into two or more inputs with most equipment.

I checked a few different diagrams and it looks like the mid and tweeter are actually out of phase with the driver. I am not sure why they are designed like this, maybe due to time difference between the horn and woofer?

I think I am just going to use on channel of the amp to run the crossover and not worry about the bi-amp as it adds too much complexity and could fry something for not much gain.

The info on reversing polarity of the mid and tweet is in this DfH

http://assets.klipsch.com/files/Dope_750501_v15n1.pdf

A related subject came up long ago:  Per the text of the DfH and the schematic, the crossover was reworked internally so that when you wire the mid and tweet to the marked screws on the E type crossover, you are essentially connecting the plus red wire to the mid and tweet to the ground, and thjs implements the reversal of polarity.  Note how the internal ground strap is  connected to the plus output terminals.

You don't physically reverse the connection by switching the wires to the drivers, i.e. don't connect the red plus to the minus terminal.  Of course you could do this if you have a crossover made before the change to the internal crossover.

WMcD