Quartet

Bkbooher

Hi I'm new here and just picked up my first kilpsch product that a older set of quartets at a yard sale for 40$ that's in really good condition but my question is what's a good receiver for them all I have now is a decent sony but I want to get the most out of them to really enjoy them 

Welcome to Klipsch and welcome to the forum. There are good folks here.

You are going to love the Quartets.  They are the baby bear in the Quartet (no suffix), Forte II, and Chorus II line up.  The baby bear does not have quite the bass power the others but very respectable.

The question of amplifiers for Klipsch products is a vast subject.  The most consistent trend is good reports for amps operating in "Class A" and particularly tube amps. Somewhat expensive.  Nonetheless, there have been favorable mentions of older, low power (like 20 watt) Japanese receivers.  These usually operate in "Class A" at lower levels.  Further, "digital amps" called Class D or Class T have a very big following in the audio world.

It may well be that your Sony will give excellent results.  You should listen for a couple of months before spending money.

Placement in the corners of the room, the speakers "toed in" toward the listener is always a starting point.

My only gripe with my Quartets is that they are short.  I've put them on 18 inch stands to get the mid up to ear elevation.  Echhh, 12 inches would probably do as well. 

I've also moved them into the room along with the modest flat screen TV display.  Closer to the couch.  The bass is still good.  A nice surprise was that watching Star Trek, the next generation, the sounds of the engines could be heard without being intrusive.  

Everyone here will like to hear reports of your adventures with these.  So don't be shy.

WMcD

Well I've always enjoyed some good sound I remember growing up my dad had a old pioneer pushing a couple 15 inch jbl and man those things rocked big time so I've always liked the vintage receivers but this is my first time purchasing anything like that and hopefully I can build something that was as nice and loud as his 

I'll add this suggestion, again.  Look at older Yamaha CA-x00 and CR-x00 units.  Especially the CA-series.  They are switchable to Class A on the front panel.  I had a CA-800 I liked a lot.  A conservative 45 wpc in Class AB and 8 wpc in Class A.  It also has pre outs, but the preamp has no on/off thump protection.  Old School rules apply. 

23 hours ago, Bkbooher said:

Hi I'm new here and just picked up my first kilpsch product that a older set of quartets at a yard sale for 40$ that's in really good condition but my question is what's a good receiver for them all I have now is a decent sony but I want to get the most out of them to really enjoy them 

Bkbooher,

Welcome to the forum.

Crazy great score.:emotion-21::emotion-21:

The majority of the time that I owned my Quartets(and forte's), I drove them with 80's Denon integrated amps(PMA-1080R, PMA-750, PMA-700V).  The combinations were incredible.  Rock solid build quality, fast punchy bass drive, sweet neutral midrange, detailed highs.  These can be found on the used market from around $100.00 to around $300.00 based on condition/model.

Where are you located?

Bill

37 minutes ago, Bkbooher said:

I'm located in Bristol tn

Check this out.

https://tricities.craigslist.org/ele/5761498930.html

I drove my first pair of Quartets with a Marantz 2252B with 52w/ch and it was enough power to drive me out of the guest room.

This Luxman with 50w/ch should have just about the same effect.

Bill

9 minutes ago, Bkbooher said:

Just noticed that one of the tweeters isn't working

Well then you can just replace both diaphragms with "Crites Tites".

tidiaph

Diaphragms for Klipsch Tweeters for Heresy II, Forte, Forte II, Quartet, Chorus, Chorus II, KLF Series, KG Series and Cornwall II.  Shipping is $7.00 for a pair of these diaphragms in the US.

Titanium Diaphragms:  $54.00 per pair.  IN STOCK!!

http://www.critesspeakers.com/prices-other_stuff.html

IMO, a worthy upgrade for little $$$.

Bill

2 hours ago, willland said:

Check this out.

https://tricities.craigslist.org/ele/5761498930.html

I drove my first pair of Quartets with a Marantz 2252B with 52w/ch and it was enough power to drive me out of the guest room.

This Luxman with 50w/ch should have just about the same effect.

Bill

Had one of those, now I have seller's remorse. 

Wait.....  You got a pair of Quartets for $40 at a yard sale!?  That's the deal of the century.  On ebay, Quartets start at $400, and go up from there.  Whoever sold you those speakers didn't know what they were worth.  

Well played!  

Even if the tweeters were working properly, you'd do well to replace them with titanium diaphragms.  So nothing lost there.  Best of luck on an incredible find!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You may even want to look into 70's Technics receivers. I found a bottom-of-the-line SA-200 that I'm using into the basement workshop pretty reliably but with indoor/outdoor speakers. Only thing I have to do to it once is a great while is realign the tuner pointer with the station. Wasn't bad for $30. But for Quartets I would look at an SA-600 or so.