Les Miles reportedly fired from LSU

T2K

Herman is high on LSU's list and an obvious choice. Jimbo Fisher is the guy they were going for at the end of last season and is also a strong possibility. Then again, if interim coach Ed Orgeron makes a good showing for the rest of the season...

Miles had not been doing well lately, considering the NFL level of talent he recruited. He was told by the AD to revamp the offense at the end of last season and he was unable to do so. When a person is making $5 million a year and  cannot do what the boss says, he gets fired.

Seriously dumb move by LSU.  Fired after 3 games, and reportedly owed over $12 million.....

Notre Dame is another one, firing their defensive coordinator after Brian Kelly had talked him up and supported him again and again.  Kelly needs to recruit better, not fire coaches....

21 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Seriously dumb move by LSU.  Fired after 3 games, and reportedly owed over $12 million.....

Make that 4 games. He needed to be fired, he had run his course at LSU. The only dumb thing LSU did was to not fire him at the end of last season. The $12 million buyout is the same now as it was then, and we LSU fans had to endure 4 more games of ineffective offensive play before he was shown the door.

Simply looking at W/L stats for LSU over the last several years makes Miles look better than he really was. LSU's record against ranked teams has been 50% lately, with no signs of improvement.

I hear Miles has been getting job offers already. If he gets another HC job his $12 million buyout, paid over several years, will be reduced by the amount of his new salary so LSU may not owe him anything at all.

1 hour ago, Don Richard said:

Make that 4 games. He needed to be fired, he had run his course at LSU. The only dumb thing LSU did was to not fire him at the end of last season. The $12 million buyout is the same now as it was then, and we LSU fans had to endure 4 more games of ineffective offensive play before he was shown the door.

Simply looking at W/L stats for LSU over the last several years makes Miles look better than he really was. LSU's record against ranked teams has been 50% lately, with no signs of improvement.

I hear Miles has been getting job offers already. If he gets another HC job his $12 million buyout, paid over several years, will be reduced by the amount of his new salary so LSU may not owe him anything at all.

Maybe they just aren't that good?

33 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Maybe they just aren't that good?

I've heard the talking heads at ESPN give their analysis.  There are people who keep track of 5-star athletes and it's a fact some teams recruit and have better talent than others.  LSU is though to have national championship caliber talent.  Their running back is a Heisman candidate.

The coach was thought to have wasted that talent, calling for running plays up the middle for yard, verses creative plays which might go for 20+ at a chunk.

As Don said, the AD was telling him to open up the offense and turn this offensive talent loose.  Instead he kept calling non-creative plays that the defense easily read and defended.  They lost a second game so the coach was fired.

When the rich alumni is calling the shots (and paying the coach), I guess the AD had to do what he had to do.  The AD has a boss too.

It has been proven many times that you can assemble a bunch of all stars and still not get a winning team.  Talent alone will not make it against a cohesive team.  Personally I think those guys as a team are just not that good.  If they were, the offensive line should be able to handle running straight ahead. 

29 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

It has been proven many times that you can assemble a bunch of all stars and still not get a winning team.  Talent alone will not make it against a cohesive team.  Personally I think those guys as a team are just not that good.  If they were, the offensive line should be able to handle running straight ahead. 

That's a good analysis, all true IMO.

The fact is Miles was a HAIR from being fired last year and his job was saved only by public sentiment at the last minute.  And that they have fired him IMMEDIATELY after a close loss tells me the decision had already been made, the admin was just looking for the right time to drop the axe.  By firing him immediately while many of his supporters were in the stands they didn't give him any chance to rally public support.

There were political manipulations behind the scenes the public doesn't see.  This firing was planned long before the word was given.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

He shouldn't have to work another day in his life, if he doesn't live too large.

yep.  dang - that's the kind of job I need.  now that there's an opening...   hire me as the next new coach.  I'll agree to a one year deal if you get the money right  :lol:

• Like 1