Help with Sony AVR

frankhenrylee

Hello everyone!

I have an old Sony avr that is pretty outdated. It still seems to work, but the audio quality seems out of whack. I've reset it to factory defaults ttried it out and then set it up per manual for my speakers. It doesn't have many adjustments so doubt I could've messed it up too bad. My problem is I seem to be missing some frequency range in between bass and mid. I replaced some white van speakers with some Klipsch RF-82II's recently and the newer RF82's sound a lot like my old WVS's. Is this receiver acting up or gone bad? How much does an avr affect audio quality. I hate that my sound quality did not improve by going to much better speakers.

7 hours ago, frankhenrylee said:

I have an old Sony avr that is pretty outdated. It still seems to work, but the audio quality seems out of whack.

Is this receiver acting up or gone bad?

It could be acting up and on it's way out or just does not mate well with your RF-82II's.

I hate that my sound quality did not improve by going to much better speakers.

With all due respect, that Sony AVR is older(2002) and close to an entry level model.  Klipsch high efficiency(revealing) speakers are going to amplify all the Sony's shortcomings so I am not surprised that the sound quality has not improved.

How much does an avr affect audio quality.

Based on model(and $$$), sound quality can vary substantially.  Usually the higher up the chain, the more $$$, but better parts, more power and features.

Bill

Well, not a lot of action here, but I'll post what I've narrowed it down to.

On one hand, I'm looking at the Yamaha RX-A2060 or 2050 if I can find a deal, but about $1200-$1250 is all I've seen on the 2050 and $1350 on the 2060. Both are real dang high for me, but I doubt I would ever have to replace unless it just broke. 

On the other hand, I'm looking at the Onkyo TX-RZ800. Mainly because it seems to do most of what I'll need and it's marked down to $650. 

My my ideal setup would be a 5.1.4 or 5.2.4. I've also been looking at Auro-3D and it looks like it will have the most surround capability, but I figure it's another 5 years before it's relevant, where Atmos seems to have a decent amount supporters right now.

Anyone have experience with either of these receivers or recommendations/advice they'd like to give?

1 hour ago, frankhenrylee said:

What are these separates you speak of sir? Where can I find out more about this? 

Just one example but Outlaw Audio offers a few different packages. This one I linked is pretty competitive with a 7 channel amp and 120 wpc. and a pretty nice preamp processor. 

Place your order for the Model 975/5000 Combo  Just $999!

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/5000.html

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/975.html

They are in the works for a new updated pre/pro that sounds like it will come in around the same price points but is to include Atmos.

Also, Emotiva has a ton of stuff ready to launch right now. This new pre/pro looking to launch shortly for under $600 and the new 5 channel amp for under $500 as well. Also a new pre/pro in the works to include Atmos, etc.Emotiva_basx_mc700_prepro_front.jpg

Emotiva_basx_mc700_prepro_rear.jpg

a500_front.png?itok=j2Jk3vBL

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar hole in my frequency response with my Sony AVR and it made listening to music super frustrating.  The solution was to set it up properly.  I had been under the assumption for years that using tower speakers meant that I should use the "large" speaker setting until I read about how much better it is to use the "small" setting and set the crossover point manually.  I have KG 5.5 towers for LCR duty, and now that I set the speakers to "small" and changed the crossover point to 70 Hz, it completely transformed the system.  I chose that particular crossover point because it was what sounded best in my particular room.  Now I have a much more even response and transition from subwoofers to main speakers.