traffic - what's your limit

Woofers and Tweeters

Getting stopped by the police for doing something wrong is reactive, not proactive. The self control people have is, mostly, due to the fear of punishment (proactive). When the punishment isn't harsh enough, that's when people stop self control.

IMHO, general speeding: 1X fine, in a construction zone: 2X the fine, in a residential / school / someplace where kids could be playing: 3X the fine. That will stop most people from speeding in your neighborhood.

Obviously the system isn't working. What should the punishment be for :

Texting / surfing on a phone?

Tailgating?

Etc?

30 minutes ago, Weber said:

Getting stopped by the police for doing something wrong is reactive, not proactive. The self control people have is, mostly, due to the fear of punishment (proactive). When the punishment isn't harsh enough, that's when people stop self control.

IMHO, general speeding: 1X fine, in a construction zone: 2X the fine, in a residential / school / someplace where kids could be playing: 3X the fine. That will stop most people from speeding in your neighborhood.

Obviously the system isn't working. What should the punishment be for :

Texting / surfing on a phone?

Tailgating?

Etc?

Do like the Old West, five them a fair trial then hang them. With this system you don't have to worry about subjectivity.

JJK

1 hour ago, Weber said:

Not into tailgating. Because I don't know what's their hurry, I usually look for a place to let them pass. 

I did some work in Texas, more than once. It was the first time that, on a 2 lane road with a shoulder, people would ease over and drive on the shoulder to let someone pass. Not sure if that courtesy is still practiced there, but it never caught on here. :mellow:

it's been some years ago since I've been out that way, but I saw the same thing.  west from Texarkana to Paris and then north into OK.  I loved it!  and still practice that as I can here in MS (I move right near my white line so those behind me can see a little more to pass me if they would like to.  especially the ones that are a bit close for my comfort.)

• Like 1

On 9/27/2016 at 8:13 PM, wvu80 said:

When on a two-lane road with 10 cars in a line the last car in the line drives like an idiot 80 mph to pass and risks a head-on to get one car length in front of #9, and is still eight cars behind the lead car.  And they CONTINUE to leap frog cars one at a time, risking lives and saving virtually NO time on their trip.

The obvious and easy solution to stop someone from passing you that way is to speed up to take away their option to merge in front of you.  Honk horn and display middle finger for maximum effect if possible. 

You should stay off the road.

In one breath you're annoyed that others drive slow, yet it's unacceptable for others to drive faster than you. If you're so concerned about accidents, then how is your obnoxious behavior reducing that risk? Is it really such an awful thing that someone might have a genuine reason for trying to pass? 

• Like 2

[quote post="2062231" timestamp="1475025223"

The obvious and easy solution to stop someone from passing you that way is to speed up to take away their option to merge in front of you.  Honk horn and display middle finger for maximum effect if possible. 

Totally disagree.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Totally disagree.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, DrWho said:

You should stay off the road.

In one breath you're annoyed that others drive slow, yet it's unacceptable for others to drive faster than you. If you're so concerned about accidents, then how is your obnoxious behavior reducing that risk? Is it really such an awful thing that someone might have a genuine reason for trying to pass? 

Ha!  Always good advice!  :lol:

Either that, or I...was...kidding just a bit about driving others off the road to kill the offender.  :unsure:

+++

Did I get you too, Mr. SWL?  The quote thing was messed up, but I think I was un-funny enough to create confusion with you too.

MY bad, not yours. 

+++

I have GOT to work on my sarcasm.  Like my mom used to tell me, if you have to explain it, it probably wasn't all that funny to begin with.  :P

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Not sure who originally said it but Ron White said it the best "You can't fix stupid".  Rule out stupidity, ignorance, and a loose grasp of English.  And keep in mind that speed limit signs are just a suggestion.....there would be nothing but perfect drivers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...