Fisher 400

dm465531

Well I got my first tube piece of stereo equipment and I am pleasantly surprised.  I picked up a Fisher 400 from a friend of mine who told me everything was working on it and the price was right.  I took a chance and it pairs with the Heresy II rather well. Only listening to my chromecast but I should get my turntable back in shortly.  What are the best products to clean metal surfaces with and the best way to get rid of the filth?  New to tubes and like it.

Front resize.jpg

Top resize.jpg

Tubes resize.jpg

• Like 1

Magic Eraser works well without damaging the print. It's like... well... Magic!   I'd still be careful and if you scrub enough it will still remove more than you want.  Try in inconspicuous spot first of course. Assuming that it isn't causing any trouble, I'd work over the whole thing in multiple passes.  That way you get a more even result and can stop before you go too far.  Be careful with the face plate.

Do you know if the receiver has been restored?  If not, it's worth very serious consideration.  Also, keep in mind that the output tubes used are very costly (at least to me)- even the modern version isn't cheap so you want to be sure that all operating voltages and circuit parameters are within spec.

https://www.tubedepot.com/products?utf8=✓&keywords=7868

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/7868-Tube-Types/Electro-Harmonix-7868

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/7868-Tube-Types/7868

Maynard

As far as I know it has not been restored. I am not that knowledgeable on how to replace transistors and capacitors. I have thought about ordering a restore kit but haven't yet. I played a few songs and did not notice any fluctuations in sound. I will check out the tube site tomorrow. Thanks

Restoring a unit like this is definitely not a beginner's project, especially since the voltages encountered under the chassis can be lethal.  In addition, if you plan to use the FM tuner section, and replace various caps in it, alignment will be necessary afterwards.  This requires some fairly sophisticated test equipment.  If you really like the receiver, and plan to keep it, I'd send it out for a professional restoration.  

Maynard  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...