Sadly Downsizing Khorns or LaScalas

Flason

Currently have a pair of 2009 Klipschorns in a 20X35 room. Lost 150lbs (wife) and am downsizing to a house with a LR of 13X22. Was going to put the Khorns on the 13' wall. Will that be good for them to breath? Or should I just use my LaScala's instead? Sad day to sell either pair but its a small price to pay.....well I digress! :-) Thanks for your assistance.

• Like 2

Try it.  I think you'll still like them more than La Scalas.  I'd recommend moving back to at least 15 feet from that 13' wall to listen to them, however. Make sure that there is sufficient carpet on the floor and that the ceiling is at least 8'...(9 feet or more is better).  Keep the area between the Khorns clear, or at least any object there much lower than the Khorn midrange horns.  Same thing for the side walls--keep those areas clear for about a yard away from the Khorn midrange horn mouth.  They'll sound great.

Chris

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Budman said:

welcome to the forum

one think i've learned in the last 25 years.

Don't sell your K-horns

I've actually been with the forum since it's inception. I was a constant lurker but not a frequent poster as is evidenced by my post count. I do agree to not get rid of the Khorns but the room may dictate otherwise. They are in perfect condition and from 2009. I purchased them from another forum member who lived around 50 miles away. I have enjoyed them for several years now. LaScalas are tough to give up too. I just love both sets. Not quite a Sophie's choice here but I do want the best sound from the system. 

I have had LaScalas in a small music room for years.  I couldn't have been happier.  They are truly a remarkable loud speaker.  Recently,  I was fortunate enough to come across a pair of Khorns that I just couldn't pass on.  I was concerned because of my small music room... I placed the Klipschorns in that room, and was totally knocked back stupid.  I never heard music sound so good.  Records I've listened  to for years  sounded fresh and new.  My biggest regret is that I never even considered Khorns as a possibility  because of the small room size.  Knowing now, just how great they sound, even in a small room, I would have gone Klipschorn over LaScala's years ago.  Would the Khorns sound better in a larger space? Absolutely. But...that's not what I have.

IMHO keep the Klipschorns.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Budman said:

your 09's are far superior than your old 69's -  i don't believe that for 1 second

Oops. :D Didn't see your tag line! Sorry. In all fairness I didn't have them at the same time so I couldn't compare hem. I did love my 69's. They were quite the project. Pretty much brought them back from the dead cosmetically and changed out the tweeter diaphragms before having Crites rebuild my A crossovers. Also added the CT-125 tweeters. They did sing but what do I know. I thought my Cornwall 2's sounded better than my Cornwall 1's though the 1's had nothing done to them. Those I did do side by side comparisons. 

So so I guess I will move with both sets and try them both though I am feeling a lot more positive about the Khorns.  Thank you everyone for your responses. 

9 hours ago, Flason said:

Currently have a pair of 2009 Klipschorns in a 20X35 room. Lost 150lbs (wife) and am downsizing to a house with a LR of 13X22. Was going to put the Khorns on the 13' wall. Will that be good for them to breath? Or should I just use my LaScala's instead? Sad day to sell either pair but its a small price to pay.....well I digress! :-) Thanks for your assistance.

Put the Khorns on the 22 foot wall, and put one La Scala dead center, using either Klipsch's second "Wide Stage Stereo" circuit (don't use the first one) and a mono amp for the center channel, OR use a pre/pro and a mono amp for the center OR an AVR with a center channel output.  This can sound truly amazing.  Your main listening position will probably be right against the rear wall, so you may get some increased bass.  Put a big absorber there to avoid midrange and treble bounce back. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...