RP-280F & RP-250C Tweeter falloff, i thought they were rated to 25khz?

mother's corpse

What I meant by angle is if you get a calibrated UMIK from Cross-Spectrum, they measure it at 0 degrees, 45, and 90.  You have to use the right file based on which way it is pointing, there's actually six that are supplied.  I would assume that it could roll off up high if you didn't.  

Yes I did exactly that, since I am point it inches from the tweeter I didn't use the 90 degree file I used the other that was supplied for this type of measurements.

275b430d23dfcecdc41fcf1a1fdd6abd.jpg

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Is your microphone calibrated properly and are you using the right angle?  Unless you know it's calibrated and loaded the right file and are using the right angle, I'm not sure I'd trust high frequency graphs much.  

I'm surprised it is that flat inside a room with no EQ, you should still be getting reflections of some sort.  

It's flat because I took it right up to the tweeter to eliminate the room response so I can know for sure it's not the room.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Got mine done last night as.  There is not the same drop off you are seeing MrGrey.  I didn't have time to send a graph to my pc, as my wife was complaining it was 1230AM and I was fiddling with speakers.  But my drop-off was less drastic and didn't start until 238000 hz.  Even then it only fell off just shy of 9% from max output at 15k hz. 

MrGrey, I am absolutely NOT saying you are doing anything wrong, but mine appear to be working close to advertised specs.  I won't speculate for you, just wanted to update the lobby that mine are in fact working is all, so please do not take offense to my update. 

I hope you get it sorted MrGrey

• Like 2

I've measured my RF52iis up to 20K and they were solid.

My guess is also the microphone placement.  I find pointing it straight up at the listening position is the easiest for me to get good readings across the spectrum.

Especially at the high frequencies they should have no problem reaching the mic.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, busht4169 said:

Got mine done last night as.  There is not the same drop off you are seeing MrGrey.  I didn't have time to send a graph to my pc, as my wife was complaining it was 1230AM and I was fiddling with speakers.  But my drop-off was less drastic and didn't start until 238000 hz.  Even then it only fell off just shy of 9% from max output at 15k hz. 

MrGrey, I am absolutely NOT saying you are doing anything wrong, but mine appear to be working close to advertised specs.  I won't speculate for you, just wanted to update the lobby that mine are in fact working is all, so please do not take offense to my update. 

I hope you get it sorted MrGrey

That's interesting, i take no offense at all. do you mind telling me how you took the measurements? that mic placements and how far from the tweeter. since my RP-250C center is doing the same i want to make sure its not a defect from that batch i have since i purchased as soon as it was released.

11 minutes ago, MrGrey said:

That's interesting, i take no offense at all. do you mind telling me how you took the measurements? that mic placements and how far from the tweeter. since my RP-250C center is doing the same i want to make sure its not a defect from that batch i have since i purchased as soon as it was released.

You have not said how the speakers sound and do you like them?  If something is not right, it is easy to detect after some time listening to them.  If you can't get the measurements, you want, it may be anothr problem not related to the speakers.  I would hate to see you get rid of nice speakers just due to the measurements.

9 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

You have not said how the speakers sound and do you like them?  If something is not right, it is easy to detect after some time listening to them.  If you can't get the measurements, you want, it may be anothr problem not related to the speakers.  I would hate to see you get rid of nice speakers just due to the measurements.

They sound amazing, i completely rewired everything found out i had a phase problem and got that fixed with REW and it sounded better than never. i just found it strange that the center and tower tweeters didn't even make it to the clearly advertised spec. i just took this one with the mic a few inches further away.

The measurement file on my Google Drive, maybe i am reading it wrong? and their idea of 25khz has a drop off? 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6HKibzObpOMOEFkUFl1RWMzb1U

WkNxxX.png

There seems to be a problem in the measurement system that I can't explain.  I seen the graph.  If you like what you are hearing, I wouldn't be concerned.  Now, it is time to let the music/movies play!  The FV 15HP is a nice sub and should feel the bottom nicely for music and movies.  You have got a good system!  Did the Sony avr give you a XO point?  My avr set the RF 7 II to 80 Hz which is great.  I don't care about the spec's and alway keep the XO much higher.  It leads to greater dynamics and midrange performance.

10 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

There seems to be a problem in the measurement system that I can't explain.  I seen the graph.  If you like what you are hearing, I wouldn't be concerned.  Now, it is time to let the music/movies play!  The FV 15HP is a nice sub and should feel the bottom nicely for music and movies.  You have got a good system!  Did the Sony avr give you a XO point?  My avr set the RF 7 II to 80 Hz which is great.  I don't care about the spec's and alway keep the XO much higher.  It leads to greater dynamics and midrange performance.

Thanks allot:). yeah i settled at 80hz after messing around for a while, it just makes sense and works without any problems at all.

ps you have the rich man setup!!:o 3 systems is insane :ph34r:

22 hours ago, MrGrey said:

Yes I did exactly that, since I am point it inches from the tweeter I didn't use the 90 degree file I used the other that was supplied for this type of measurements.

Are you using the calibration file that came from MiniDSP?  They only go to 20 kHz.  Here is an example:

https://www.minidsp.com/images/umik/7000343.txt

Not to mention that there's no telling what your sound card is doing that high.  

1 minute ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Are you using the calibration file that came from MiniDSP?  They only go to 20 kHz.  Here is an example:

https://www.minidsp.com/images/umik/7000343.txt

Not to mention that there's no telling what your sound card is doing that high.  

Yeah i downloaded both files with the code printed on the mic. its coming from my GPU GTX 980 via HDMI to my avr. i guess the mic is falling off then? since it says only 20khz?

22 minutes ago, MrGrey said:

Yes that's why I asked if it was calibrated.  If it wasn't, your graph would look just like what you'd expect the microphone rolloff to look like.  

2 minutes ago, MrGrey said:

Sorry can you was that again i don't quite understand

I'm saying an uncalibrated UMIK-1 measuring a perfectly flat speaker may look very similar to the graph you posted.  I'm just saying that's why I asked about it.  

This should illustrate my confusion a bit better.  This is in my room with an RP-250C right now, with a calibrated UMIK-1 from Cross Spectrum.  I did the same thing you did and put the microphone inside the horn.  Notice the erratic response as I would expect. I then pulled the microphone back 10" and measured again which is the magenta line.  Quite a bit smoother but it's still not rolling off starting at 16 kHz like you were showing, and upper extension was actually better than inside the horn.  Unless you were in an acoustic chamber and measured the right way I just wouldn't trust measurements like this, I just don't think it is a viable test.  This is literally the same setup with only the microphone moving back 10". 

rp-250c_zpsu8r6whr5.jpg

• Like 2

they (companies) lie about response they lie about efficiency (everybody does). If you don't lie you look bad because everybody else does. The average person cannot hear 25KHz, they probably cannot hear 20 KHz and even at 18 KHz there is very little music harmonic to hear. If we all spent as much time working with our speaker position and room I think that we would all be much farther ahead.

• Like 2