Chorus II Subwoofer Match

Scottymac63

Looking for a little feedback on a good subs (2) for my Chorus II's. 2 channel stereo is my goal. Currently have one sealed servo 12" Velodyne that does a decent job at lower levels, but can't keep up at high volumes.

My room is large, 8500+ square feet in volume. 19' x 23' with an open flat ceiling 20' above. Have to use long wall. To the left is a fireplace and windows on each side. To the right is open to the rest of the house and stairs. Rear is basically half wall open to kitchen, the other half a solid wall. Not the best acoustic environment, but getting a full fabric sectional the runs the entire length of the rear wall actually helped. My Chorus's sit approx 13' on each end of my cabinets and 65" LED. The sweet spot on the sectional is also 13' from the front, forming a perfect triangle.

Anyhow, a dealer is pushing my towards a pair of REL T9's (sealed 10" front firing) due to their SpeakON high level connection. I still have concerns about them matching well with My Chorus II's and filling my listening room. I'm leaning towards a pair of SVS PC-12 Plus with a normal LFE connection to a very near in the future Marantz 7011 av. Will probably still use sub crossovers instead of receiver's for 2-channel stereo.

I had REL in the past. They sound great but won't come close to keeping up with your Chorus.

I've got an HSU ULS 15Mk2 with my Altec 19s that does a great job.

My R-115SW actually sounds fantastic with my fortes.

I'd recommend either of those, but you'd probably want at least a pair. I'm guessing many here will suggest DIY or horn loaded for extra power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2c is dependent upon your true goal --

If you want to fill the room and are going to listen to 2 channel music almost all the time, that's one big room.  

I listened to the horn subs at SWL's place once, and I have never heard music sound as good as it did in his listening room.   

I believe he had 2 right next to each other and I could not identify what they were at first and thought they were furniture.

They were that solid, strong and invisible blending with the music.  They were made by a member here in the forum.

I think you could scale 2 up to any potential SPL output needed.  

If you like home theater or TV and want the full effect than I would have to push towards ported subs.

Although bigger is usually lower tuned, bigger is not always necessary, that depends more upon your preference - does it need to play low LFE from movies? 

For that size room, I would strongly consider changing your mindset and getting 4 of something that are lesser but still impressive.

In that size room 4 will balance things out across the listening positions and provide a big boost in overall output.

Which sub to get depends upon how many you get.  I can't stress enough (imo) that getting 4 lesser ones would provide a better result than 2 better ones.

2 or 4 of the SVS PCs would be really nice, but I question how tall they are and if you really want that in your room, even in the corners.  

But if you end up with just 2 subs, get the ones with the most output as that's one big room. 

Again I can't say enough times how much happier I think you'll be with at least 2, and preferably 4.  

2 hours ago, Grizzog said:

I had REL in the past. They sound great but won't come close to keeping up with your Chorus.

I've got an HSU ULS 15Mk2 with my Altec 19s that does a great job.

My R-115SW actually sounds fantastic with my fortes.

I'd recommend either of those, but you'd probably want at least a pair. I'm guessing many here will suggest DIY or horn loaded for extra power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked out the 15Mk2. It seems quite solid. Will look further into them. 

1 hour ago, RoboKlipsch said:

My 2c is dependent upon your true goal --

If you want to fill the room and are going to listen to 2 channel music almost all the time, that's one big room.  

I listened to the horn subs at SWL's place once, and I have never heard music sound as good as it did in his listening room.   

I believe he had 2 right next to each other and I could not identify what they were at first and thought they were furniture.

They were that solid, strong and invisible blending with the music.  They were made by a member here in the forum.

I think you could scale 2 up to any potential SPL output needed.  

If you like home theater or TV and want the full effect than I would have to push towards ported subs.

Although bigger is usually lower tuned, bigger is not always necessary, that depends more upon your preference - does it need to play low LFE from movies? 

For that size room, I would strongly consider changing your mindset and getting 4 of something that are lesser but still impressive.

In that size room 4 will balance things out across the listening positions and provide a big boost in overall output.

Which sub to get depends upon how many you get.  I can't stress enough (imo) that getting 4 lesser ones would provide a better result than 2 better ones.

2 or 4 of the SVS PCs would be really nice, but I question how tall they are and if you really want that in your room, even in the corners.  

But if you end up with just 2 subs, get the ones with the most output as that's one big room. 

Again I can't say enough times how much happier I think you'll be with at least 2, and preferably 4.  

2 channel stereo music is my main use. I actually like the cylinder look of the SVS PC-12s. They're the same height of my Chorus II's. From what I have researched they're very tight and perform well for 2 channel music when placed just to the outside of the mains and ports are sealed. I was concerned it may be too much bass, as I'm not looking to shake the foundation and not much of action movie fan. Occasional movie watching in 5.1(2) is about the extent of my theatre interest. Not sure if four subs would be necessary.

21 minutes ago, Scottymac63 said:

2 channel stereo music is my main use. I actually like the cylinder look of the SVS PC-12s. They're the same height of my Chorus II's. From what I have researched they're very tight and perform well for 2 channel music when placed just to the outside of the mains and ports are sealed. I was concerned it may be too much bass, as I'm not looking to shake the foundation

It won't be too much bass if you don't turn it up too much.;):D  The SVS SLEDGE amp's DSP is very customizable and user friendly.

Most likely someone(someones) will direct you towards DYI subs so wait on that before you pull the trigger on anything.

Bill

25 minutes ago, willland said:
25 minutes ago, willland said:

Most likely someone(someones) will direct you towards DYI subs so wait on that before you pull the trigger on anything.

DIY... I don't think that's an avenue I will go down. Just replacing the crossovers and tweeters in my Chorus's with Crites is as much as I want to handle.

I would check out some of the Rythmik 15 in. subs.  These subs are output monsters compared to similar ID sub and the finish is ver nice and will pass the WAF.  The bass and reflections are going to be a problem in that room.  It will be hard to fill the 8500 cu ft area with just two subs.  The bass will be strong in some spots and weak in others.  Four subs around the room is ideal.  If you are only getting two subs, then concentrate on an area of the room that most of the 2 ch listening will be in.  Also consider some in-wall speakers to help fill the room.

Yes, Denver, Colorado... Where your music listening pleasure can be enhanced legally... Truly in the "sweet" spot ;)

As for Rythmik, I'm reading really good things about them and they seem to be the choice for many audiophiles. Haven't ruled them out by any means. As for filling my large room, the Chorus's do it with ease. Along with the kitchen and up to the bedrooms above. Just seeking a pair of tight music focused subs that can keep up with them.

Would not adding more subs in multiple corners screw up the soundstage for music? Music is my goal, HT is completely secondary. 

Interesting. I would think it would mess with the soundstage imaging for 2 channel. I don't really have the ability to run 4 subs in the room anyways... Furniture, fireplace, etc. I need to stick with two and try for seamless pairing and the ability to keep up with my Chorus's. 

Chris A has talked before about sub placement with 2 channel listening, not to say he's the final word but he seems to really know his stuff.

He does recommend that the subs be fairly close to the mains for 2 channel listening.

If you think about it, you're basically just chopping up which speakers play the low tones - the subs or the mains.

Moving the subs far from the mains, even with the timing corrected for position can still have some location issues.

If the sub is right next to the main, it is located by the main, which is ideal.

The issue with the entire placement then becomes whether or not the 2 mains are actually placed well.

If they are, then the subs will be fine there, and the sound will all come from the soundstage.

This is all true for one listening position.  

Then when you expand it to an entire couch, or several different pieces of furniture, it becomes a compromise because the room will influence what can be heard.

How far is the listening position(s) from the soundstage, and how far are the walls and ceiling...it all plays into what you hear at any given position.

Subs really cannot be fully optimized without some form of measurement.  But generally speaking if I remember right, Chris said the subs should be within a half or quarter of the wavelength of the longest room dimension...or something like that.  

• Like 2

A 10" sealed sub is in no way going to play along with Chorus II's at higher volumes.

I would go a minimum of 2 15" ported subs properly placed.

Localization only becomes a factor when using higher than normal crossover points to the mains.

• Like 3

Yes, with the Chorus II's you only really need help from about 50hz and down. For music the RSW-15 is by far the best sub I've ever owned, for total output the KW-120 THX Ultra 2 speakers are serious cheek flappers, no joke but they didn't seem as tight or musical as the RSW-15 but they certainly hit harder and lower. 

"My vote PSA V1800....Oh yea this is not a poll....My opinion PSA V1800.....I think it sounds great with my Chorus II's"

G.E.M.

That is one hell of an awesome looking sub! Never heard of it before but judging by the looks of it I would think it should work just fine! You could always buy two just to be sure..

• Like 1

Not sure what your budget is but I'd give seaton submersive a VERY hard look. They are praised for their musicality. He uses top notch woofer, top notch amp, and puts them in a very nice cabinet. Much better quality components than just about every other ID company that has been reccomended so far.