EXPLODING Samsung Washing Machines

T2K

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) said it has received over a dozen complaints from consumers about Samsung washers, some of which report machines that have exploded.

Consumer Reports has "suspended" its recommended status for any Samsung top-loading washer that originally earned that designation. The consumer products watchdog tested 10 Samsung top-loaders, of which four had been recommended.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/exploding-washing-machines-add-to-samsungs-woes/ar-BBwMArk?li=BBnbfcN&OCID=HPDHP

• Moderators

Well I guess talking on the phone and washing clothes are dangerous, OK. If i were standing by the washer when it explodes I would then need a washing machine more than ever to clean my pants. 

We had top loading machines, we thought the old style was better plus lasted longer and surely cheaper. all that's left is the drier now, and were back to a standard washer.

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Weber said:

The new ones have a spin cycle that make the cloths come out with very little water. Anyone know what RPM they spin?

I have no idea but it's fast, I was always nervous to pass by it at full speed, I would guess that's when they explode ?

Yes they did spin until almost dry which saves on drying time. What we didn't like about those machines was the repairs. It was under an extended warranty but broke twice in a year, it was Whirlpool Duet, and was some of the first front loaders out, they may have improved ?

3 minutes ago, T2K said:

DO NOT APPROACH any Samsung washing machines you may encounter on the street or around government buildings.

Tell that to the Egyptian airline flight crew who took the suitcase holding the pressure cooker ied.  They left the cooker but couldn't pass up a free bag.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

We better check with USNRET on that.  Those rpm numbers are for front loaders.

You rang? Why, it's proven I don't did math? BTW, my new Electrolux front loaded spins at 1400 RPM max speed. The previous Samsung front loader didn't spin fast at all at the end.

Not sure how the washers work. It seems there would / should be a way to reduce the speed for a heavier load. I'm sure the basket stretches some while being spun that fast, and holding the weight of the wet cloths too. Maybe the basket is going beyond its elastic state and getting thinner each time it's pushed to that state. 

We need to ask a lawyer what we can do about this. :D

42 minutes ago, Weber said:

It seems there would / should be a way to reduce the speed for a heavier load.

On mine it is either auto or manual adjust. I don't know what is happening at the start but when a selection is made and start is selected the first readout is "sensing"; load weight?