Unresponsive Woofer

standingwave

Hi,

I recently purchased a pair of Klipschorns and have spent an embarrassing amount of time troubleshooting and restoring these old gals. I have hit a road block with one of the woofers. Cosmetically it's perfect. I see no cracking or deteriation. It produces sound, but very, very quietly and distorts. Both woofers measure 4ohm. Help. Please. Sanity receding. 

Thanks

image.jpeg

Is it the coil itself that is having an issue with separation?  Sorry, it's hard for me to see in these pictures.  If it is, a new driver is in your future.  I had the same issue arise with my KP-101's - similar sound too.  A replacement driver fixed the issue right up.

It's not a good idea to mix drivers that are spec'd differently than the schematic calls for.  I believe all of the drivers either test at 4 to 6 ohms.  You shouldn't be without too long though.  There are plenty of Klipsch drivers and after market drivers that should meet your needs.

I don't know a lot about the KHorn, especially compared to some of the others here, so I can't say.  I'd probably recommend the factory replacement, but others may have a better option.  Just be aware, that if you replace one, you should replace both, or you could encounter some problems down the road.

Call Bob Crites and get one of his woofers...either the regular or cast frame one and be done with it no more worries mate. lol...Why so much concern over this old woofer ? If it sounds different than the other on and you want to keep it original you can have it rebuilt but to match them you will need to do both I would think.

• Like 1

Let me suggest that you test whether the diaphragm is moving freely.  With open fingers try pushing in on the cone.  In a good driver the diaphragm will move freely but if the voice coil is binding it will feel jammed or gritty.  The binding may be the result of the crack or sagging you see.  Sometimes heating and mechanical stress on the voice coil winding will cause the mechanical distortion and the voice coil winds up binding against the magnet gap even though the windings are still electrically functioning (so you get some sound and a normal resistance).

I'd suggest you get a pair of new drivers from Klipsch.  

It would be interesting to know what crossover model you have.

Replacing both drivers is just about required.  When you get the other, good driver out it would be very interesting to test it, or have someone here test it for the T-S parameters.   (I could do it even if you want me to buy the units. And, yes I'll share the information.)

WMcD

• Like 1

Thank you for the advice. I ordered a pair from Bob. He informed me they are the Jensen model. I would like to find another so I can have a pair. Are these speakers anything to make a fuss over, or am I crazy as usual? They are just too darn gorgeous for me to not to put some effort into. 

You're doing the right thing. 

K-Horns make magic. People say, "The first time I heard a K-Horn, everything changed."

They are worth the TLC. 

Please post pictures of your work and the units overall..

WMcD

Will do. I want to clarify that the speakers I purchased from Bob are his cast replacements and the original drivers are the Jensens. Bob was super helpful over the phone and took the time to answer all my questions. I wish I lived closer to him, seems like a very cool and intelligent man. 

put the Crites in, send both originals to Bob, re-cone them both.  then they'll be the same and be right for K-horns or other Heritage.  Or re-install them in your k-horns and sell the new Crites woofers.  They're known good, you wouldn't have any trouble selling them.

What year are your Khorns?  those look like my woofers.  Mine are 59 or 60s.

woofer1.jpg