Cossatot Morning at Camp Lillian Spring, AR

Mallette

It's a beautiful morning here on the Mallette freehold at the edge of the Cossatot River Primitive area near Wickes, AR.  The body bag in the campfire picture contains my son.  It's about 50 degrees this morning, high pressure, and very dry.  Job one of the day is to replace the meter box and get the breakers rewired so as to get the power on in advance of the building arrival next week.  Then, troubleshoot the pump.  We have a well that taps into an underground stream of the finest water imaginable. 

The body bag in the campfire picture is my son.  Too cold for him to want to crawl out yet, but I'm feeling great out here with a cup of fresh ground Columbian medium roast prepared in a French press with spring water.  With the pump not on, we use water from Lillian Spring, named after my mother.  Very nice with whisky as well!

Another shot is just morning light in the woods looking up the drive towards a pole barn we use as another camp area.  I've an excellent forester from DeQueen, no known relation but interestingly named Allen Mallette, who is going to surgically mark some of the big pines for harvest so as to allow the hardwoods more room.

Last image is the outline of where the little (12X16) lofted barn will be. 

We're here through Saturday afternoon, then back to Texarkana for "Dine on the Line," a rather unique celebration of the state line where well over a thousand will sit at tables half in Arkansas and half in Texas and toast our unique situation.DSCN0553.JPGDSCN0548.JPGDSCN0550.JPGDSCN0551.JPG

DSCN0549.JPG

• Like 1

• Moderators

Have fun, that's a nice looking area, it's always good to get away from civilization even for a short time. I know you will have water and electricity but just the lack of people, traffic and houses is a good thing, a few amenities for convenience would not take away from "getting away'. Always a good thing.   

Edit; you picked a good weekend, the first cool front of the year. :emotion-21:

Yezzir, BSM, I am SO happy to be out of Houston forever.  It's less than 1.5 hours back to Texarkana from here and we love it.  We'll be up here every moment we can.  My son wants to spend as much summer up here as he can.  Got potatoes in the coals and hardwood on the grill almost ready for the steaks.  Sun is going down, and all is right with the world!

Dave

Dang sure black here.  Not a sign of light.  Most stars I've seen since living in far west Texas.  Wish I had my DSLR and a tripod.  Incredible density and so many meteors visible.  Looking forward to killing the lights and turning in so I can just stare in wonder. 

Dave

One winter, living in Wisconsin, 30 miles outside of Madison... went outside all bundled up. Lay down in the snow and looked up at the stars. Incredible view! Not much moisture in the air when it's -10 degrees.

Bruce

10 hours ago, Mallette said:

Dang sure black here.  Not a sign of light.  Most stars I've seen since living in far west Texas.  Wish I had my DSLR and a tripod.  Incredible density and so many meteors visible.  Looking forward to killing the lights and turning in so I can just stare in wonder. 

Dave

It should have stayed that way since the moon rose near 7am and set right at around sunset on the 30th.

Workday.  Fixed some major structural issues with the pole barn.  Son was extremely diligent and had some excellent ideas.  We had to sister that broken cross beam and replace the perpendicular supports once that was done.  Wound up pretty worn out but very satisfied with our efforts.  Still some work to be done but the most egregious issues were dealt with today.  Couldn't be happier with his attitude and efforts. 

Awesome few days.  Doesn't get much better!  Anybody within driving distance is welcome to use this property...seriously.  Just let me know and I'll send coords.  All I ask is pack in in, pack it out. 

Dave

DSCN0563.JPG