Atmos Setup

bpaten05

Im looking to put together a 5.1.4 Atmos set up in my new living room in my basement. My plan is to purchase 2-rp280f, rp450c, 2- rp250, r115sw. I do not want to use up-firing speakers for this set up and plan on using 4 in ceiling speakers. I know the CDT 5800 in ceiling speakers are the top of the line for Klipsch but they seem to also be asking quite a bit for what I would be using them for. I am looking for a good timbre match but do not want to spend $400 on each of the 4 in ceiling speakers. Does anyone here have any recommendations or experience with a set up similar to mine? Any advice would be appreciated. thank you !

Those look pretty nice for sure. Did you end up building enclosures in the ceiling for them? Also, I was looking at a really good deal on Klipsch PRO 6800c in ceiling speakers. Are there any reason those will not work for this application? Everyone seems to mention using the CDT5800 but like I mentioned before I dont really like the idea of spending $400 for ambiance lol. 

4 hours ago, bpaten05 said:

Those look pretty nice for sure. Did you end up building enclosures in the ceiling for them? Also, I was looking at a really good deal on Klipsch PRO 6800c in ceiling speakers. Are there any reason those will not work for this application? Everyone seems to mention using the CDT5800 but like I mentioned before I dont really like the idea of spending $400 for ambiance lol. 

I did not build enclosure for the in-ceiling or in-wall speakers.  The space between the wall joist makes for a nice box for the in-wall speakers.  I have a drop ceiling so, it would be very hard to buil a nicely sealed box enclosure for the speaker.  These particular speakers in my signature are made for drop or regular ceiling installation.  It was really simple to put them in.

If you are wondering how well they matchup, I am running a fairly aggressive system with the RF 7's, RC 64 and 8 super size subs.

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

I did not build enclosure for the in-ceiling or in-wall speakers.  The space between the wall joist makes for a nice box for the in-wall speakers.  I have a drop ceiling so, it would be very hard to buil a nicely sealed box enclosure for the speaker.  These particular speakers in my signature are made for drop or regular ceiling installation.  It was really simple to put them in.

If you are wondering how well they matchup, I am running a fairly aggressive system with the RF 7's, RC 64 and 8 super size subs.

I like that setup! I'm almost teetering with the idea that for how much the 2 250s speakers are it may be in my better interest to run towers in the rear as well. 

Towers will provide more bass if there are no subs in the back of the room.  In-wall or in-ceiling surround back speakers offer a cleaner look, no long wire runs of the floor.  I am amazed at how lound  and how much presence comes form my Klipsch 5 1/2 in. speakers.  They are not over powered by the other speakers.  I would of got larger surround back speakers but, the deal on the used speakers was just to good.

I really makes a lot of sense puting subs in the real and front of the room if possible.  It will eliminated the need for large speakers throughout the system.  I've used tower in the back but, this setup has much more impact.

2 hours ago, bpaten05 said:

I'm almost teetering with the idea that for how much the 2 250s speakers are it may be in my better interest to run towers in the rear as well. 

Towers are nice for aggressive tracks and panning... at least for the center seat.  Don't make the mistake of firing a tower into the ear of the outside seat from 3' away, it's not a pleasant thing, you need some space, and most people don't have enough.  Most of the time, slightly elevated surrounds are more pleasant in this situation.