Splitting preamp signal to sub

captmobley

Guys, I need help.

i have a Juicy Blueberry preamp with only one set of outputs.  They feed a First Watt M2 amp to my Klipschorns.

I want to add one or both of my SVS PB12x2 powered subs to the mix.

Do I need 2 Y splitters to split both right and left preamp outputs and then recombine them  with another Y into a single subwoofer cable?

Will it do any harm to the pre?  I don't understand enough about matching impedences, or should I be concerned?

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Use one Y splitter for each side out of the Blueberry. You now have four outputs, two for right and left. Use one pair for the M2 amp, and use the other pair for each subwoofer.

That sound right?

For nothing better to do, and because the neighbor is being sort of a jerk...I dusted and cleaned off the old pair SVS 16/46 CS series subs, connected up the Behringer CX3400 crossover and Mackie FR2500 amplifier.

I used Y splitters out of the CD player. The Behringer has the 3 pin balanced inputs, so I've made cables the convert from RCA to the 3 pin connector type. From the Behringer I used balanced 3 pin jacks to the amp. I can run the subs in stereo, but seem to prefer switching the amp to mono with one input, and control each sub's volume pot in mono.

It works, and extends the overall LF response with my Cornwalls. The only that is beat is having to adjust the volume pots at the crossover to blend the subwoofers volume-wise. This is when I miss my Emo HT processor...

• Like 1

If each of the subs have a left and right input you need 4 Y splitters unless you want one sub to be the left sub and the other to be the right. Do not combine the signals with another splitter. Let the left and right inputs of the sub do the combining for you. The sub will combine the signals properly not just short them together like a Y splitter would.

1 hour ago, muel said:

Some of the nicest do!  

http://rel.net/products/

That's odd.  I followed your link and read the blurb about the product I saw, the S/5 SHO.  Here is part of the description of the plate amp:

REL do not include a high pass filter to cross out bass from the main speaker because to do so would generally produce more unwanted effects than the minor benefits such a design confers.

S5_Rear_silo.jpg

If you check out Dayton Audio or Yung plate amps at Parts-express the lower powered models all have high level inputs, none of the higher powered models do.  Technically, I don't know why.

I want to send a full range signal to my speakers so the REL configuration is what I would want.  Cool thing is that you could use the high level in for your 2 channel setup and the LFE for your HT.  It's not going to happen because I won't spend that kind of money on a sub.  I'd like to have that configuration for a sub amplifier though!  I imagine that would drive a THT or F-20 nicely.

2 hours ago, captmobley said:

I'm using the Blueberry only for 2 channel.  The second sub is slaved from the first sub with the output from the first sub.  It works fine that way when it is connected to my home theater receiver's sub out.

OK gotcha. Then you do only need 2 Y splitters. I did not know the 'master' sub had 'pass through' to the 'slave' sub. But let the left and right input to the sub do the combining for you, do not combine the signals with another Y splitter.

3 hours ago, muel said:

I want to send a full range signal to my speakers so the REL configuration is what I would want.  Cool thing is that you could use the high level in for your 2 channel setup and the LFE for your HT.  It's not going to happen because I won't spend that kind of money on a sub.  I'd like to have that configuration for a sub amplifier though!  I imagine that would drive a THT or F-20 nicely.

A lot of plate amps like BASH have both sets of inputs as well.