Home Theater Configuration

Arun Gupta

We are planning the following set of receiver, speakers and sub woofer for a 28` x 14` family room:

- Receiver: Denon 6300H (7 channels in family room, 2-4 channels in backyard)
- Left & Right: Klipsch RP 260 F
- Center speaker: Klipsch RP 250 C
- Rear in-wall speakers: Klipsch R 3800 W II
- In-ceiling speaker in the middle: Klipsch CDT 3800 C II
- Sub woofer: Klipsch R 110 SW

- Monoprice 16 gauge for speaker

- Monoprice 6 ft co-axial for subwoofer

- Banana Plugs

Our typical usage would be to watch movies, play games, parties etc.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this configuration, particularly if the speakers, sub woofers and receiver are aligned well with each other. Is anything an overkill or can be simplified?

Thanks,

Arun

Welcome to the forum Arun.  You have a fairly large room. How loud do you listen, do you want the seats to shake with action movies?  These are things to consider.  Bass coverage in a large space is very spotty by nature and multiple subs are needed to fill the space and provide more even coverage.  I would suggest at least to 15 in. subwoofers.  A second one can be added in the future.

A pic of the room is worth a 1000 words and will help people make good suggestion.  I will leave speaker recommendations to forum members with more experience.

• Like 1

great choice on mains. i owned them. skip that center. its not enough. get the 450c to match the mains. i have had all three reference premiere centers the 450 is the only one that will keep up with those. 

skip the 110 sub also. get the r-115 and nothing less from klipsch. you have a large room. i have a 11x17 living room and the r-110 and r-112 was a joke in here. dont dig deep for movies and are very limited on output. the r-115 is a pretty good sub. and one will get you by for sure. a second down the road would be nice. 

everything else you are on the right track for sure! 

sending you a pm also. check your messages up in the top right corner. 

welcome to the forum. 

• Like 1

I agree with above^^^. Get the RP-450C for the center. I had the RP-250C for a center that I got as part of a package deal. I bought the 450 originally because it was bigger and I could place my 65" tv on top. I found it on eBay from a dealer as an "open box" for $400. When it came in, I inspected the box and realized it wasn't open box.... There was no tears or cuts on the tape. 

The 450 has a much "fuller" sound. The 250 really sounds good, but the 450 is a much better choice. I thing it's like $175 more, but worth the difference. Don't buy something because it costs less. Get it for the sound. You'll go down the slippery slope of buying an upgrade in the future.

Also, a 10" sub will not fill the room very well. Go as big as you can. You could also look at Dayton subs. They have a good sound for the price.

Good luck with your new system. You'll enjoy it.

• Like 1

Just now, RTR said:

I agree with above^^^. Get the RP-450C for the center. I had the RP-250C for a center that I got as part of a package deal. I bought the 450 originally because it was bigger and I could place my 65" tv on top. I found it on eBay from a dealer as an "open box" for $400. When it came in, I inspected the box and realized it wasn't open box.... There was no tears or cuts on the tape.

Yes I've attempted to complain about this practice to the powers that be, multiple times.  Some of them seem to have a non-stop supply of open box items, which is BS, they only do it to advertise new stuff cheaper than what they're supposed to be able to.  It's a shady practice in my opinion.  It doesn't just annoy me, it is confusing to customers and it drives prices down.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Arun Gupta said:

- Receiver: Denon 6300H (7 channels in family room, 2-4 channels in backyard)

This is obviously an option, but I wouldn't do this myself.  The advantage of this particular model is that it is able to have all your Atmos channels inside the receiver, without the need for external amplification, but you would be throwing the Atmos functionality away.  I'd recommend to plan on four overhead Atmos speakers from the start.  You can get a cheaper receiver for the back yard.  I did this myself with 2 channels outside, but I'm literally in the process of rerouting those outside channels to Atmos right now, probably finish it tonight.  I got a slim line Marantz 1607 for outside speakers, works great, and that's way more than what you need.  

13 hours ago, Arun Gupta said:

- Rear in-wall speakers: Klipsch R 3800 W II
- In-ceiling speaker in the middle: Klipsch CDT 3800 C II

Other people have said go bigger on the center and subs so I'll skip that and just mention these.  I would recommend the 5000 series.  It's not that much more to get them, and they would have the titanium tweets instead of aluminum, and would match the smoothness of your LCR's better.  Aluminum tends to be harsher at higher volumes, and you may be able to tell they are different if you mix aluminum and titanium tweets in the same room.  I just helped a guy upgrade his cheaper surrounds to reference premiere since his LCR's were ref premiere, he thought it was a significant improvement.  

6 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Other people have said go bigger on the center and subs so I'll skip that and just mention these.  I would recommend the 5000 series.  It's not that much more to get them, and they would have the titanium tweets instead of aluminum, and would match the smoothness of your LCR's better.  Aluminum tends to be harsher at higher volumes, and you may be able to tell they are different if you mix aluminum and titanium tweets in the same room.  I just helped a guy upgrade his cheaper surrounds to reference premiere since his LCR's were ref premiere, he thought it was a significant improvement.  

are you on the same page now? 

• Like 1

Thanks @derrickdj1 @Scrappydue @RTR for recommending a bigger speaker. That was a big concern given the size of our room and I'm glad you spelled out it for me.

@MetropolisLakeOutfitters would also look at 5000 series with Titanium tweeters.

Local Fry's is beating all the online prices. Do you see any gotcha in that? Or something I need to be aware of?

4 hours ago, Arun Gupta said:

Thanks @derrickdj1 @Scrappydue @RTR for recommending a bigger speaker. That was a big concern given the size of our room and I'm glad you spelled out it for me.

@MetropolisLakeOutfitters would also look at 5000 series with Titanium tweeters.

Local Fry's is beating all the online prices. Do you see any gotcha in that? Or something I need to be aware of?

Are these the same prices I can see on fry's website? Or are they quoting you a special price?