New Klipsch Reference Over-Ear Headphones

Nick Radonich

Hoping to get an answer from someone at Klipsch - 

I was just looking at what I *hope* are new Reference Over-Ear headphones (http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-over-ear).  I'm planning on, if they are going to be released, pairing them with a decent Portable Headphone DAC / Amp, the OPPO HA-2SE (https://www.oppodigital.com/headphone-amplifier-ha-2SE/).

Anyone on the inside know when they're going to be released for Purchase?

Thanks!

Pst. These are landing this month. From every DAC I've tested in the office the ESS arguably performs the best. I haven't tested specifically with the Oppo, but Dragonfly and a few others outperform most BurrBrown and Cirrus DACs with this headphone (my subjective listening). The new Over-Ears are low impedance and very sensitive. You should be able to drive them with ease (make sure you set the Gain setting to Low). They're also tuned to be flat, not bass-boosted, so the Bass Boost feature may be a useful asset.

On-Ears: $199 passive, $249 Bluetooth (with aptX + AAC, 20 hour battery)

Over-Ears: $249 passive, $299 Bluetooth (with aptX + AAC, 20 hour battery)

Official press release will go out soon on why the Over-Ears are $50 more (hint: unique driver technology)

18 hours ago, Vlad said:

Pst. These are landing this month. From every DAC I've tested in the office the ESS arguably performs the best. I haven't tested specifically with the Oppo, but Dragonfly and a few others outperform most BurrBrown and Cirrus DACs with this headphone (my subjective listening). The new Over-Ears are low impedance and very sensitive. You should be able to drive them with ease (make sure you set the Gain setting to Low). They're also tuned to be flat, not bass-boosted, so the Bass Boost feature may be a useful asset.

I played with the DragonFly Red for a little while with my Image One v2 On-Ears.  Nice and black, sounded excellent.  Only downside is AudioQuest nerfed the ESS DAC to only handle up to 96/24 - 192/48 with no support for DSD, and no support in the near future.  I looked at the TEAC HA-P50 as well as a couple other portable DACs and out of all of them, the OPPO seemed like the best choice with Native DSD and a Class AB amp.  

Just be careful making your decision based on the limitation of 192/48 support. I tend to check my files with Adobe Audition and actually view the high frequency content. In most cases there's nothing up there as the masters were typically 96/24. I'm not going to start the discussion about dog whistle frequencies but I've been underwhelmed by the content I've downloaded from HD Tracks and several others unless I can find a demonstrable difference on http://dr.loudness-war.info/.

On 10/7/2016 at 7:15 AM, Vlad said:

Just be careful making your decision based on the limitation of 192/48 support. I tend to check my files with Adobe Audition and actually view the high frequency content. In most cases there's nothing up there as the masters were typically 96/24. I'm not going to start the discussion about dog whistle frequencies but I've been underwhelmed by the content I've downloaded from HD Tracks and several others unless I can find a demonstrable difference on http://dr.loudness-war.info/.

Oh I understand fully.  I'm not basing *just* on the limitation of the 96/24 support.  More of the fact that I would like to get into DSD and related HD Formats.  Unfortunately, as I mentioned, AudioQuest at the moment will not support DSDs and doesn't have an idea if / when they ever will.

One of these years, I will make the trek out to come see Klipsch in person.

• 7 months later...

Having an issue pairing these headphones with my LG OLED B6. I can get the tv to recognize them and they showed up in the paired menu just when I select connect they connect and automatically connect. There is no voice telling you if the headphones have been paired or if they are pairing.  Could this be a compatiblity issue?!?

The LG is Bluetooth 4.0. 

12 hours ago, Jayraysai said:

Having an issue pairing these headphones with my LG OLED B6. I can get the tv to recognize them and they showed up in the paired menu just when I select connect they connect and automatically connect. There is no voice telling you if the headphones have been paired or if they are pairing.  Could this be a compatiblity issue?!?

The LG is Bluetooth 4.0. 

I'm looking into this. Right now it's not very clear what implementation of Bluetooth LG is using. Have you tried to pair any other non-LG Bluetooth product to your B6?

• Like 1