buy r26f or r28f?

swapnil

Subwoofers in a home theater configuration are an almost must.

Here's the USD price breakdown:

R-26F: $698 a pair

R-28F: $898 a pair

RP-260F: $798 a pair

RP-280F: $958 a pair

IF you are keen on doing a subwoofer, explore the idea of the RP-160M with an R-110SW, R-112SW, or R-115SW.

Also, the R-110SW:115SW range from $439-$719 USD.

My recommendation for the RP-160M was only to keep your cost down.

You might opt to build the system piece by piece.  Start with the AVR and the main speakers.  If you can, swing for the RP line (the real Reference gear), and that Denon.  You will enjoy those for sure.  It should entertain you enough for the time being until you've saved enough for the subwoofer.

That's how I had to do it.  I started with a shoddy Kenwood HTIB back in 2001.  It took me a while to swap out the pieces of that for the gear that I wanted.  To a certain extent, I'm still doing it.  That's what we call the upgrade bug - and it's a pain in the wallet.  All for the purpose of seeking good sound though.

Like I said, the RP-160M was only suggested to keep cost down.  They're respectable bookshelf speakers that don't know they're bookshelf speakers.  Members here have placed them on a pedestal almost as high as the P-17B Palladium bookshelf speakers, and categorize them as one of Klipsch's top three reference bookshelf speaker outside of the RB-5 and 75.

Floor standing speakers will have better bass extension. Hands down, thus...my primary suggestion again goes to the RP-260F or 280F, or their cost effective little brothers.

As for other brands - the only other in the price bracket I might consider is Polk.  I had a pair of the TSi-100's and a pair of RTi-4's at one time, they sounded "okay" for some music, but just didn't cut it for me.  I did have a series of Polk Subs before switching to Klipsch subs as well.  Their subs were the highlight of my experience with them.  For the money though, I think you're best off with Klipsch or Energy (by Klipsch).

thanks alot ibiza you have been superbly patient and answered all my queries, now am certainly sorted out with priorities to buy, being 1)denon avr x1200w 7.2 ch

2) standing speakers and then 3)a sub. please correct me if i am wrong. in India there is also alot of hype about yamaha speakers. any take on them?

4 hours ago, swapnil said:

thanks alot ibiza you have been superbly patient and answered all my queries, now am certainly sorted out with priorities to buy, being 1)denon avr x1200w 7.2 ch

2) standing speakers and then 3)a sub. please correct me if i am wrong. in India there is also alot of hype about yamaha speakers. any take on them?

If you're going to purchase a sub, save a little more money on the mains and go with the R-26f. There is hardly any difference between R26f and R28f, especially if you have a subwoofer.

I would stick with the X1200. The only Yamaha line I would consider is the RX-A Series. Yamaha speakers are imo, mediocre at best. The reason they're big in the Asia market is that they're Asia origin and run larger promotion overseas than they do in the states and Europe.

If you're itching for a sub now, do the bookshelf RP-160M. You can always move them to surround duty later. They're a bookshelf speaker that does not know they're a bookshelf speaker. Those paired with a sub would beat the R-28F any day of the week with ease.

The X1200 will do you just fine.  You'll be happy with it.

I run a pretty decent amount of bookshelf and satellites in various configurations.  I have RB-5MA's running as heights in my main system.  There's nothing wrong with bookshelf speakers, when paired properly - they can be just as good or better than some floorstanding speakers.  I really think you'd be more happy with them and a subwoofer, than the R-28F or R-26F's.