Cornwall ID Help

DaMuffinMan

I just came into possession of a set of Klipsch Cornwalls and I know absolutley nothing about them. I was hoping yall can tell me a little about what I have and when they were made, if they are original etc. I have attached a picture of the sticker onthe back. I looked at the serial # ID post but could not figure out how to ID mine.

Thanks in advance

Dan

cornwal.jpg

welcome to the forum Dan

dtr20 is correct

COO on the label stands for Cornwall - Oak - Oil

the Y stands for 1983

035 on the one label, if you have 034 or 036 on the other label means consec serial numbers that the veneer with be book matched

the rest of the numbers just tell you how many they made that month or that year

I left Klipsch as an employee in September 1983, but I'm just curious...look at the back of the speakers.  Facing the back, look at your top left miter joint on each cabinet.  A little below that miter joint, on the rear edge of the side panel, there should be some letters stamped into that edge.

There will likely be two letters side by side and a single letter either above or below the pair of letters.  This will be on BOTH cabinets, Let me know what you see there.

Be advised that the stamping of the pair of letters was done prior to the cabinets going to the sanding room by the builder(s) of the cabinet,  whereas the single letter was stamped in after the sanding was completed, prior to the cabinets going to be oiled/finished.  Because of this, the PAIR of letters may NOT be as deep into the edge if some sanding was required on that rear edge.  So, the letters may be filled with wood putty  or they may be faint, but should be visible.  Please let me know what the pair of letters are, and what the single letter is.

In the pair of letters, there will likely be an "A".  That means the cabinets were built by me.  The other letter of the pair will be who was helping me build them.  Unless I was not at work the day they were built, it is highly likely you will find an "A".

The single letter is who sanded one or both of them.

These letters were a quality control measure, so that if there was something wrong found at the inspection of each subsequent place the cabinets went in the process for the speaker cabinet, they could take it back to whomever's code was stamped into the edge to correct the fault.

• Like 2

HDBRbuilder

I checked the back left top corner of the cabinets and I don't see any letters, not sure if the were painted over or not.

I did see USA engraved on the right side and the serial #s on the top (my serial #s are consecutive so I think that's good).

I will upload the pictures from my phone as soon as I can resize them.

kcw4.jpg

Check the bottom right the same way...those initials will be likely be upside down there...SOMETIMES the initials were stamped in PRIOR TO the installation of the front and rear glue blocks, shelf and motorboard...but I never stamped the initials in until the cabinet was completed, so it is more likely that these were built either on one of my days off, or after I left in 1983.  Please let me know what you find there, if anything.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2016 at 8:42 AM, DaMuffinMan said:

I just came into possession of a set of Klipsch Cornwalls and I know absolutley nothing about them. I was hoping yall can tell me a little about what I have and when they were made, if they are original etc. I have attached a picture of the sticker onthe back. I looked at the serial # ID post but could not figure out how to ID mine.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Dan - congrats on your new 'find'.  that's awesome!  I keep looking & hoping that I too may come into possession of a pair - a pair of anything, but if I had my choice, well, I do have a list.

welcome to the forum.  a word of advice from another fairly newbie to Klipsch - it is sometimes referred to as a "sickness"  B)

my GF would agree that I resemble that remark  :o

• Like 1

On 10/18/2016 at 2:53 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

Check the bottom right the same way...those initials will be likely be upside down there...SOMETIMES the initials were stamped in PRIOR TO the installation of the front and rear glue blocks, shelf and motorboard...but I never stamped the initials in until the cabinet was completed, so it is more likely that these were built either on one of my days off, or after I left in 1983.  Please let me know what you find there, if anything.

Here are the pictures, I cant really make out what it is.

cw4.jpg

cw3.jpg

cw2.jpg

cw1.jpg

The stampings may well have been filled with wood filler prior to sanding the rear edges.  This happened quite often.  then when they got to the paint room from the sanding room, they were shot with black paint.  So, no big worry!  I really have no idea what was done after I left in September 1983.  I can just verify what was going on while I was working there.  A number of folks have speakers built by me...kinda funny that some of them seem to prize them for some reason...LOL!  It's a big ego boost for me that they do so.  Most of the builders paid close attention to detail when building, otherwise they didn't last very long building them.  Personally, I wish more people looked for the "W", since that was Bois D'Arc's letter...and he built a crapload of speakers over the years...of all types...Robert Wyatt, a really great guy!  We started at Klipsch within a few weeks of each other and had a ball when we were working together as a team...rock'n and rollin'...and having a blast joking around with each other!  He is the one on that old ad that says "A little Heresy is good for the soul!"

• Like 2

On Tuesday, October 04, 2016 at 2:01 PM, Budman said:

welcome to the forum Dan

dtr20 is correct

COO on the label stands for Cornwall - Oak - Oil

the Y stands for 1983

035 on the one label, if you have 034 or 036 on the other label means consec serial numbers that the veneer with be book matched

the rest of the numbers just tell you how many they made that month or that year

Budman already did that.

• Like 1