Cornwall ID Help

DaMuffinMan

• Moderators
On 10/25/2016 at 9:34 AM, HDBRbuilder said:

The stampings may well have been filled with wood filler prior to sanding the rear edges.  This happened quite often.  then when they got to the paint room from the sanding room, they were shot with black paint.  So, no big worry!  I really have no idea what was done after I left in September 1983.  I can just verify what was going on while I was working there.  A number of folks have speakers built by me...kinda funny that some of them seem to prize them for some reason...LOL!  It's a big ego boost for me that they do so.  Most of the builders paid close attention to detail when building, otherwise they didn't last very long building them.  Personally, I wish more people looked for the "W", since that was Bois D'Arc's letter...and he built a crapload of speakers over the years...of all types...Robert Wyatt, a really great guy!  We started at Klipsch within a few weeks of each other and had a ball when we were working together as a team...rock'n and rollin'...and having a blast joking around with each other!  He is the one on that old ad that says "A little Heresy is good for the soul!"

Love Bois D'Arc. What an awesome man. Hoping he joins us again in April!

• 4 weeks later...
On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 0:24 PM, DaMuffinMan said:

HDBRbuilder

Can you tell me what the correct logo for the speaker grills would be on these speakers.

Thanks!

No...I was not there in 1984.  BTW, there is no such thing as a Cornwall "1.5"...that is an "audiofool" invention to categorize a speaker according to however they try to use something or some things to categorize it.  Cornwall nomenclature is confusing enough without making it moreso, IMHO!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaMuffinMan said:

What Logos were used in 1983?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

When I left in 1983, I think they were already using the copper-colored rectangular one with "Klipsch" spelled out and in a square at the end was the "PWK" logo.

• 2 months later...
On 10/14/2016 at 0:30 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

I left Klipsch as an employee in September 1983, but I'm just curious...look at the back of the speakers.  Facing the back, look at your top left miter joint on each cabinet.  A little below that miter joint, on the rear edge of the side panel, there should be some letters stamped into that edge.

There will likely be two letters side by side and a single letter either above or below the pair of letters.  This will be on BOTH cabinets, Let me know what you see there.

Be advised that the stamping of the pair of letters was done prior to the cabinets going to the sanding room by the builder(s) of the cabinet,  whereas the single letter was stamped in after the sanding was completed, prior to the cabinets going to be oiled/finished.  Because of this, the PAIR of letters may NOT be as deep into the edge if some sanding was required on that rear edge.  So, the letters may be filled with wood putty  or they may be faint, but should be visible.  Please let me know what the pair of letters are, and what the single letter is.

In the pair of letters, there will likely be an "A".  That means the cabinets were built by me.  The other letter of the pair will be who was helping me build them.  Unless I was not at work the day they were built, it is highly likely you will find an "A".

The single letter is who sanded one or both of them.

These letters were a quality control measure, so that if there was something wrong found at the inspection of each subsequent place the cabinets went in the process for the speaker cabinet, they could take it back to whomever's code was stamped into the edge to correct the fault.

@HDBRbuilder : I've had a look at my "U" 1980 Heresies. I found the letters "M" and "A"  (M above A). I'd never noticed these before. I'm guessing these are yours? If so, I feel like I've won the lottery! (Well  at least hit a scratch off for a $100 or so). If you can shed any more light on them I'd love to hear.  If you'd like some pics or some of their history, at least as far as I'm aware of it, let me know. Thank you for your effort and time. Both then and now. 

Michael K.

Edited by M_Klipsch
Tag

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 0:16 AM, M_Klipsch said:

@HDBRbuilder : I've had a look at my "U" 1980 Heresies. I found the letters "M" and "A"  (M above A). I'd never noticed these before. I'm guessing these are yours? If so, I feel like I've won the lottery! (Well  at least hit a scratch off for a $100 or so). If you can shed any more light on them I'd love to hear.  If you'd like some pics or some of their history, at least as far as I'm aware of it, let me know. Thank you for your effort and time. Both then and now. 

Michael K.

"M" was the person in the sanding department and the "A" was me, so I built your Heresys solo (no helper)...I assume yours are birch Heresys?

• Like 1