Center for RF-83

wolfandy

Hi all

I have an opportunity to trade my current set of RF-35s and RC-35 for a pair of RF-83. However the other party does not have a matching center. And here in South Africa, 2nd-hand Klipsch gear is really difficult to get to - so finding a used RC-64 is basically impossible. I would need to get a new center and am now contemplating between the following:

• RP-450C
  • RC-64ii

The price of the RC-64ii is 2.5x that of the RP-450C locally. Is it really worth the extra money?

My room size is approx. 22 x 14 feet. Amp is a Rotel RMB-1095 (bi-amp for the fronts, single-amp for the center), so sufficient power is available.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks and cheers

Andy

The 83 are serious fronts.    I have 82s which are very similar.    I have been running a RC 7 with 8 inch outers and a 1.75 center.   Matches well with the 8 inch fronts.   I have gone to TSCMs and am using my 82s for center.     The RC 7 is available.  Not sure what it is worth, make me an offer.

27 minutes ago, 1HOHDude said:

The 83 are serious fronts.    I have 82s which are very similar.    I have been running a RC 7 with 8 inch outers and a 1.75 center.   Matches well with the 8 inch fronts.   I have gone to TSCMs and am using my 82s for center.     The RC 7 is available.  Not sure what it is worth, make me an offer.

Thanks for the response. Would love to take the RC-7 off you - but as mentioned am based in South Africa, so I don't think it will work. Logistics and import duties will be a killer...

The other guy is moving into a smaller house and the 83s are just too big for his smaller room. So his is looking for downsizing

The appropriate center would be the RC-64 II.  It's a serious center channel, designed to pair with serious speakers.  Ideally, you'd have a third RF-83 in the mix, but as this isn't always possible, the RC-64 II would provide you with the best matching.  It uses a similar horn, and larger drivers than the RP-450C.

I've never heard the 83's myself but I have compared the RC 64 II to the RC 7 and they sound very similar, both are excellent center speakers. You may be stuck buying new in which case I'd hold out for the 64 II but if a used 7 comes up locally for a decent price I wouldn't hesitate to jump on it.

Congrats on the upgrade, I've read a lot of great things about those speakers and they are definitely on my list of speakers to check out when the opportunity comes along.

• Moderators
On 10/6/2016 at 2:42 AM, wolfandy said:

I have an opportunity to trade my current set of RF-35s and RC-35 for a pair of RF-83.

I've owned each of those so I wouldn't hesitate on that trade for a second.  IMO, A pair of RF-83's without a center would be a huge upgrade over the RF-35's with an RC-35.

As mentioned, the best match would be:

1)  Another RF-83. 

2)  RC-64ii - Since having a floorstanding speaker as a center isn't practical in most homes, the RC-64 works great.  It's an awesome center and would be an amazing step up from the RC-35. 

3)  RC-64 - is next since it is not only voice matched to the RF-83's but it also has the same colored drivers and the same plastic bezel in front of the drivers. 

4)  Much more pricey than the RC-64, has different colored woofers than the RF-83's.  In my A/B testing, I didn't hear a difference at all between the RC-64 and RC-64ii.  The RF-7ii and RF-83 do sound different.  RF-83 has a much smoother, more laid back sound.  Bass is the same in both.....tons of slamming bass!

5)  RC-7...much cheaper option than the RC-64 or RC-64ii.  It will have a much brigher, in your face sound than the RF-83's but still would sound great IMO.

Thanks all for the feedback !

Will then make peace with the fact of having to fork out a considerable amount of cash for a new RC-64ii. Klipsch gear in South Africa is around 50% more expensive that it is in the US... 

The upgrade is not completed though. Only meeting the guy with the 83s next week to hopefully come to agreement and finalize the deal

14 hours ago, Youthman said:

I've owned each of those so I wouldn't hesitate on that trade for a second.  IMO, A pair of RF-83's without a center would be a huge upgrade over the RF-35's with an RC-35.

As mentioned, the best match would be:

1)  Another RF-83. 

2)  RC-64 - Since having a floorstanding speaker as a center isn't practical in most homes, the RC-64 works great.  It's an awesome center and would be an amazing step up from the RC-35. 

3)  RC-64ii - is next since it is not only voice matched to the RF-83's but it also has the same colored drivers and the same plastic bezel in front of the drivers. 

4)  Much more pricey than the RC-64, has different colored woofers than the RF-83's.  In my A/B testing, I didn't hear a difference at all between the RC-64 and RC-64ii.  The RF-7ii and RF-83 do sound different.  RF-83 has a much smoother, more laid back sound.  Bass is the same in both.....tons of slamming bass!

5)  RC-7...much cheaper option than the RC-64 or RC-64ii.  It will have a much brigher, in your face sound than the RF-83's but still would sound great IMO.

Number 3 here read really weird to me. It has a totally different compression driver in it as well as no plastic baffle. It's all wood on the front? And the woofers are different to? But then you kind of state that in the next point. Just reads funny. Maybe it's me. Lol

5 hours ago, Scrappydue said:

Number 3 here read really weird to me. It has a totally different compression driver in it as well as no plastic baffle. It's all wood on the front? And the woofers are different to? But then you kind of state that in the next point. Just reads funny. Maybe it's me. Lol

I think our little friend put the "ii" in front of the wrong one.:P

Bill

• Like 1

Scrappydue is right on.      One thing to remember.    The center channel carries a large share of voice audio.     The 7s are a bet bright as he says but for movies that is exactly what you want for voice.      I really like his idea of another 83 for a center.    I have chosen the route by having my pair of 82ii paired as my center for my TSCMs.    There is another alternative that is possible.    Try a pair of RB 81ii layed flat.    They match the 8 inch drivers well and should be much cheaper.

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, willland said:

I think our little friend put the "ii" in front of the wrong one.:P

That is correct Bill.  I was in a hurry and had the ii in the wrong place.  You guys are sharp.  LOL  I have corrected my post.

2 hours ago, Youthman said:

That is correct Bill.  I was in a hurry and had the ii in the wrong place.  You guys are sharp.  LOL  I have corrected my post.

Leave it to your buddies Scrappy and Willland to point out your errors.:o  That's what friends are for.;):P

Bill

Thanks all !

I really like the idea of a pair of RB-81ii. I can still get these new here and they are less than half of that of the RC-64ii. My only question is regarding amplification: If I wire the 2x RB-81ii in parallel, my Rotel RMB-1095 would see a 4 ohm load. According to the Rotel specs, this is ok. I assume it would run a bit hotter, but is free-standing - so has ample breathing space. Any other concerns?

And any concerns about running the RB-81ii lying flat? Does this impact dispersion from the horn?