Center for RF-83

wolfandy

Welcome to my side of the world... I just tried placing an order for a pair of RB-81ii with an online supplier that showed them in stock. Only after the order was placed and paid did I receive an email from their side that the item is sold out and no longer available. Apparently they still have a single RB-81ii in stock and are now seeing if they can chase down a second one.

What do you think of using a single RB-81ii as center?

54 minutes ago, wolfandy said:

What do you think of using a single RB-81ii as center?

I think if the seller will discount(heavily) the single 81ii, then it is definitely worth a try.  The 81ii's are fine "bookshelf" speakers that have quite a bit of grunt and presence.  Though not the most ideal choice, a single RB-81ii should be able to hold it's own.  If you do go this route, experiment with the center and main speaker's crossovers(low pass, LFE).  You may find that the front soundstage sounds better with the RB-81 crossed over lower than the RF-83's.

Bill

Aafter quite a bit of chaos it seems that the single 81 is damaged and that the distributor does not want to sell it. So the dealer has made me a good offer for the 64ii and I have settled for that. Only downside is no stock in the country and 6 weeks delivery time...

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, wolfandy said:

the dealer has made me a good offer for the 64ii and I have settled for that.

Settled?  The RC-64ii is a much better speaker than the RB-81.  That's an upgrade IMO. 

When I purchased the below system, I hooked wakejunkie up with one pair of the RF-7ii and I kept the rest except for the RB-81ii.  They just were "ok".  I was surprised they didn't sound better than they did.

I was always pleased with the sound of the RC-64 and RC-64ii....that is until I compared it to a LaScala....but that's another story.

Complete-Klipsch-RF-7-II-System-Sm.jpg

The "settled" was more meant in the sense of come to terms with - mostly from a financial perspective (am paying almost double here that what prices in the US are...)

But am sure it will be an awesome speaker - looking forward to when I finally gets here