Hurricane Matthew

prerich

Getting the back side of Matthew now here in Wilmington.  Winds stronger on the backside.  Beaches in the surrounding areas are a mess.  Roads and dunes are washed out.  Oak Island pier collapsed.  When local rivers crest we will have some major flooding.  So far me and my dog Jake are fine.  Just dreading hearing that crack you know is coming.....

• Like 3

• Moderators
4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Interesting picture ^^^ of suicidal man with NO common sense on pier.  :unsure:

The pier pic is crazy, it's going to be one big mess just to get the roads clear, not counting rebuilding some of them.

8 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I'm not very happy tonight.  Eldest son is Law Enforcement in North Myrtle Beach.  He parked his Chevy Silveraldo to protect it the best he could, but tree dropped on it on the side yard, on another side a tree is on the power lines.  In the front yard a nice palm tree snapped in half.  He has had to sleep at the fire department the last couple days.  He said all the piers in the area (I think 6) were destroyed or were heavily damaged.  He lives about 3 blocks from the beach.

14625278_10104418268381799_108238810_n.j

14642906_10104418268396769_1923518327_n.

14610687_10104418270357839_849806670_n.j

14642808_10104418267728109_249191534_n.j

Things can be replaced.   Hopefully you and yours are safe and unhurt.   That's the main tthing.

• Like 2

• Moderators

It will go faster than you think.

We live 10 miles from the interstate and in that 10 miles there may have been 3-4 poles still standing and this was probably like the whole surrounding area for a very long way. The power crews would say maby a month or more as they were running out of poles and most things needed. But poles and parts came from all over the country and we had power after 2 weeks. This was shocking, these guys from all over the country did an amazing job, the amount of work done was amazing. There that good, how long it will take who knows every situation is different I would guess ?

Good luck

In Savannah GA. here. It was bad, but could have been worse. A couple houses down from me a guy had been restoring a house for about a year or so. He just finished a couple months ago. A massive tree fell right in the middle of his house and darn near cut it half. Lots of similar damage. Mine was not so bad. Need a new roof and a great deal of yard work. I was preparing for the worst though. I was going to remove the drivers out of my new(ish) P-38s and lodge myself in there and was willing to be washed into the ocean in 'em.

In all seriousness, prayers out to those less fortunate than myself. Some lost everything. Very somber faces around here.    

• Like 1