Replacing the K400 with the 11"x17" ZXPC Horn

Tarheel TJ

This is a temporary setup and yes....I have some Klipsch tweeters and drivers that were in their late KSM models that were 1000Hz and up.  Gonna XO maybe 1500Hz or 1800Hz..

May do another with a bigger driver and cutoff the throat of a cheap horn.  PRV has a 90 x 40 I might try next with an 8" or 10" driver.

Let us know how it sounds, if you any success I might try it with a pioneer 5.25 coxial. Are you going to do meh with 8 or tens Or mount single driver at front of horn?   I have 4 extra 8's' might be fun to try the pioneers with the 8 inche drivers mounted meh style.

11 hours ago, Ljk said:

Let us know how it sounds, if you any success I might try it with a pioneer 5.25 coxial. Are you going to do meh with 8 or tens Or mount single driver at front of horn?   I have 4 extra 8's' might be fun to try the pioneers with the 8 inche drivers mounted meh style.

Not doing multiple entry.  However, the zxpc looks sturdy enough to do it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
19 hours ago, Curious_George said:

What crossover did you use for this set-up?

Three years ago, the arrangement in that picture used the OEM passive crossover. The different horn and adapter did not change the frequency response so much, but did affect the dispersion characteristics, my goal at that time, for the speaker's placement location in that room.

I also used a digital electronic crossover and tri-amps with that speaker for a while, but have shuffled my equipment and speakers around many different positions since that time.

I finally have time to try out different mid-range horns in my LaScala's and was wondering how the HM3950's sounded on the K55V?

Before I came across this thread, I just purchased 2 HM3950's a few days ago along with a 1" to 2" adapter and am going to try your exact configuration. I'll be using a passive crossover (ALK universal clone). 

19 hours ago, Curious_George said:

I finally have time to try out different mid-range horns in my LaScala's and was wondering how the HM3950's sounded on the K55V?

Before I came across this thread, I just purchased 2 HM3950's a few days ago along with a 1" to 2" adapter and am going to try your exact configuration. I'll be using a passive crossover (ALK universal clone). 

Did you buy the alk clone from eBay lasted a few weeks ago?