New Klipsch owner

Navymom

I'm new to this site and also a new owner of Cornwall speakers. My question is, now that I have these fantastic speakers I need some advice on what kind of receiver would make the speakers help show their true potential. Really new to all of it, so if you have any advice, I would gladly love to hear it20161003_043247_1475717979843.jpg20161005_180545_1475716566274.jpg

Cornwall 1, nice and welcome to the forums. One of my favorite Klipsch speakers. There are many different receivers/integrated/amps that will make these things sing. Since they are so efficient it wont take much. What do you have for a set up now? What kind of music do you listen to? Are you sticking with 2 channel or are you wanting multi channel for movies. This is the fun part of the journey.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Navymom,

Welcome to the forum.

Nice Cornwall I's.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

What do you have for a set up now? What kind of music do you listen to? Are you sticking with 2 channel or are you wanting multi channel for movies.

My questions also.

IMO, to get the best stereo performance(2-channel music), you should get a stereo receiver, stereo integrated amp, or stereo preamp/amp combo all with tone controls.  If movies are more your thing and you will be adding a center speaker, surround speakers, and subwoofer, then an AVR with room correction or at the least tone controls are a must.

Bill

• Like 1

Those are very nice looking... congratulations.

there is a set of cornwall XO's for sale in the garage sale section of the forum. you might give some serious thought to trying to get them before someone else does because they will transform your speakers.

• Like 1

Hi Navymom, welcome to the forum.  You might want to let us know what your budget is for a receiver/amp, and your plans for the system as stated above, such as pure 2 channel, Home Theater, etc.  You might also state what your source(s) will be, CD player, BluRay, streaming (Spotify, etc).  Do you plan on leaving the Cornwalls in the pictured position, or do you have any flexibility for reconfiguring your room?  Putting down a nice thick throw rug will definitely help as well.

• Like 2

Nice :emotion-21:

Welcome to the forum Navymom. As you can see, there are a few question to answer to help get you what you want. 

For me, and most, to get a real appreciation of what we have it take some sampling and changing. Those speakers will get loud with almost any power source. To get goose-bump details (live music in your listening room) doesn't require a lot of watts or a lot of money. For $200 +/- you can get an old school Marantz, Sansui, Harman Kardon, Yamaha, Pioneer, etc. After listening to them for a period, refreshing the cross overs (XO) as Schu said, will improve the sound a noticeable amount.  

• Like 1

Nice, congrats on the new speakers! The Cornwalls should be fairly easy to run, I'd think a nice quality integrated amp would be simple and sound great for 2 channel music. If you want to eventually evolve into surround sound then a quality Receiver or Pre-Amp / amp combo would suite you best.

There are countless combinations of equipment you could choose from, a lot of that can be narrowed down by budget and 2 channel versus multi-channel use. Many people here use Cornwalls so they'd be better at offering specifics on equipment models. Good luck and let the journey begin!

• Like 1

I'll assume you like movies as well so, a receiver with pre amp outputs, for sure. That way  you can add a power amp later, if you want. ( you will want ). Lol. I'm thinking you want to know which new receiver brands sound good with Cornwall's, such as Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, ect. Am I correct ?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome Navymon, good choice your going to love them.

Hint, toe them in a little (angle them in slightly) so they kind of aim to the center seating position. It will also help with sound reflections on that left wall.

Have fun

• Like 2

hey Navymom - welcome

is there a P - R - S in the serial number because these look like 76-77 or 78 Cornwalls

this is an easy question for me. just get a nice Pioneer receiver and don't look back

and do what dtel said above. turn that left speaker in about 22 degrees.

• Like 1

Welcome!

If you like movies, definitely get something that will allow you to add a center channel, two or more surrounds, and a subwoofer eventually.  As somebody said, you will want to! 

I've had good luck with the following brands: NAD, (modern) Marantz, and Luxman.

Definitely get tone controls, no matter what anyone says!

After you toe-in the Cornwalls a bit, see if putting some throw rugs on the floor in front of them makes them sound better or worse.

Budget?  Type of music?

On 10/8/2016 at 9:18 AM, Speed said:

I'll assume you like movies as well so, a receiver with pre amp outputs, for sure. That way  you can add a power amp later, if you want. ( you will want ). Lol. I'm thinking you want to know which new receiver brands sound good with Cornwall's, such as Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, ect. Am I correct ?

You are very correct, also love listening to music, alot... 

Kinda wondering if these were built by me?  First, what are the serial numbers on these (which will give us the year of manufacture). If they were built between 1977 and 1983, there is a very good chance I built them.  While you have them turned around to find the serial numbers, look at the rear edge of the cabinets, on the long panels (sides) up close to the corners.  There SHOULD be two letters side by side, stamped into the edge grain, of the left side panel (as you fact the speaker's rear), with a single letter below that. The pair of letters will be the builder(s), and the single letter below that will be the sander. If you have the letter "A" in the upper pair of letters, then let me know ( I also built these "solo" at times, so there may just be one letter stamped on that line).  The pair of letters MAY have had wood putty put into them, by the sander, but the letters should still be able to be recognized.  Also, if not at that location, look near the bottom right corner (as you face the rear of the speaker)...they COULD be there, instead.

You have great speakers, just keep one thing in mind...if a clean signal does not go into them, you will know it!  If a bad recording is played, you will know it!  Lots of things can be used to power these, but they don't need much power to really sing!

I would go for something that puts out a clean 100 WPC...or less.  Everybody on this forum knows my choice...H/K 430 twin-powered stereo receiver, but there are hundreds of choices available.

Enjoy them!

8 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Kinda wondering if these were built by me?  First, what are the serial numbers on these (which will give us the year of manufacture). If they were built between 1977 and 1983, there is a very good chance I built them.  While you have them turned around to find the serial numbers, look at the rear edge of the cabinets, on the long panels (sides) up close to the corners.  There SHOULD be two letters side by side, stamped into the edge grain, of the left side panel (as you fact the speaker's rear), with a single letter below that. The pair of letters will be the builder(s), and the single letter below that will be the sander. If you have the letter "A" in the upper pair of letters, then let me know ( I also built these "solo" at times, so there may just be one letter stamped on that line).  The pair of letters MAY have had wood putty put into them, by the sander, but the letters should still be able to be recognized.  Also, if not at that location, look near the bottom right corner (as you face the rear of the speaker)...they COULD be there, instead.

You have great speakers, just keep one thing in mind...if a clean signal does not go into them, you will know it!  If a bad recording is played, you will know it!  Lots of things can be used to power these, but they don't need much power to really sing!

I would go for something that puts out a clean 100 WPC...or less.  Everybody on this forum knows my choice...H/K 430 twin-powered stereo receiver, but there are hundreds of choices available.

Enjoy them!

I am very much enjoying them and I looked for the letter, and it's a "R", but I was told when I got them, they are from 1977. And if you made these wonderful speakers. .. or any speakers  " Thank you"