New Klipsch owner

Navymom

On 10/8/2016 at 3:35 AM, The Dude said:

Cornwall 1, nice and welcome to the forums. One of my favorite Klipsch speakers. There are many different receivers/integrated/amps that will make these things sing. Since they are so efficient it wont take much. What do you have for a set up now? What kind of music do you listen to? Are you sticking with 2 channel or are you wanting multi channel for movies. This is the fun part of the journey.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I have a Sony 5.2 ch AV Receiver  145Wx5, I like all music, classic rock is my favorite 

On 10/8/2016 at 7:50 AM, Weber said:

Nice :emotion-21:

Welcome to the forum Navymom. As you can see, there are a few question to answer to help get you what you want. 

For me, and most, to get a real appreciation of what we have it take some sampling and changing. Those speakers will get loud with almost any power source. To get goose-bump details (live music in your listening room) doesn't require a lot of watts or a lot of money. For $200 +/- you can get an old school Marantz, Sansui, Harman Kardon, Yamaha, Pioneer, etc. After listening to them for a period, refreshing the cross overs (XO) as Schu said, will improve the sound a noticeable amount.  

I have them connected to a Sony 5.2 ch .... and it sounds amazing, I will try that

For movies/surround sound, a good AVR is obviously in order, such as Marantz. On the other hand, I have a 2 ch setup with my Cornwalls and started out with a Sony AVR with what seemed like decent sound. I upgraded to 2 ch Parasound separates and the upgrade in sound quality was remarkable. As long as I have the room to run separate 2 ch and surround systems, the 2 ch system will be powered by a 2 ch amp and preamp. Just my take.

Best of luck.

12 hours ago, Navymom said:

After listening to them for a period, refreshing the cross overs (XO) as Schu said, will improve the sound a noticeable amount.  

Sorry, but I have to disagree with this statement.  The crossovers that Schu referred to is not "refreshing" the crossovers, it is a $600 crossover replacement.  You would be much, much better off upgrading your AVR and source....for now.  "Refreshing" your crossovers (which basically means updating the capacitors), could easily be done for as little as $50-$75.  This can be done later, if you are currently very satisfied.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Navymom said:

I am very much enjoying them and I looked for the letter, and it's a "R", but I was told when I got them, they are from 1977. And if you made these wonderful speakers. .. or any speakers  " Thank you"

You're welcome!  Ronnie Barhams built them.  He and his brother-in-law, Charles Horn ended up taking over from Harry as co-foremen of the cabinet shop at the plant in 1977-78 time frame...Harry dropped back to building Belles, mostly.  Ronnie and Charles continued as Co-foremen until around 1980-81 or so, when Lynn Stevenson replaced them.

I was already building Heresys and Cornwalls when yours were built, but when we were swamped with orders for Decorator Heresys, and I couldn't get away from the Heresy bench to the Cornwall bench behind me, Ronnie or Charles or both would knock them out.  After we went to the "drop-in front" Birch Heresy, daily production numbers increased (mostly because we were able to double up in building them...with me in lead and somebody tailing me), and I had more time for getting to the Cornwalls when pallets of parts were dropped by.  Mitered Cornwalls were still being built using chain-binder corner clamps when I left in September 1983, but the mitered Heresys had been built using a pneumatic box clamp machine since around 1977-78, and when I left they had two (maybe three?) of those machines for building them installed.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

You're welcome!  Ronnie Barhams built them.  He and his brother-in-law, Charles Horn ended up taking over from Harry as co-foremen of the cabinet shop at the plant in 1977-78 time frame...Harry dropped back to building Belles, mostly.  Ronnie and Charles continued as Co-foremen until around 1980-81 or so, when Lynn Stevenson replaced them.

I was already building Heresys and Cornwalls when yours were built, but when we were swamped with orders for Decorator Heresys, and I couldn't get away from the Heresy bench to the Cornwall bench behind me, Ronnie or Charles or both would knock them out.  After we went to the "drop-in front" Birch Heresy, daily production numbers increased (mostly because we were able to double up in building them...with me in lead and somebody tailing me), and I had more time for getting to the Cornwalls when pallets of parts were dropped by.  Mitered Cornwalls were still being built using chain-binder corner clamps when I left in September 1983, but the mitered Heresys had been built using a pneumatic box clamp machine since around 1977-78, and when I left they had two (maybe three?) of those machines for building them installed.

That is truly amazing, when I look at my speakers, not only do I see the craftsmanship,  or the amazing sound, I see the dedication, hard work. A friend of mine got me started with Klipsch, I wanted to hear them so bad, to feel the music flow through them.... and as I listen to them everyday, I am so glad he turned me on to Klipsch. I love my speakers, they make me smile and laugh and cry.... and it's nice to know the name of the person who took time to make something  so wonderful... again thank you.

• Like 2