Klipschorn Source for Walnut Edge Banding

StephenJK

Hi,

Great forum, I've had answers to all of my questions except one.  And that is, where can I find walnut edge banding that will look like the body veneer and will actually match?  I bought some walnut from Lee Valley (sight unseen - online) and it looks almost grey/black in color, nothing like the original.

These are Klipschorns from 1976 with the Walnut Oiled finish.  I'm rebuilding/restoring them for a good friend of mine.  These have been in storage since the early 80's and have not been used much.  

Thanks to this forum, I have the parts needed from Bobby Crites to rebuild the crossovers.  Looking at them in the picture, they do look awful.  Again from Crites, I have replaced the squawker diaphragms and bought the the new LS-25 tweeters and have replacement grille fabric as well.

The speakers structurally are fine, no damage other than to the bottom of a couple of the side grille panels - I think that's typical for moving a big, heavy speaker with the side grilles in place.  But, as I'm replacing the fabric anyways I can build new ones using the old as a template - that's easily done.

The bottom toe rails need to be replaced, lots of impact damage to them.  I have them removed, and by making a new toe rail a bit higher, say 4", I can cover virtually all the damage done to the speaker bottom sections.

I don't plan on making any significant modifications other than what's already been mentioned.  I do plan on installing a decent speaker connection insert to the bass bins that will allow a cable to run from that to the crossover.  At the crossover, I plan on installing a better than decent set of banana jack/plugs for the incoming speaker wire.  Once that's completed (parts are on the way) I'll post some pictures of the results.

All of the edge banding has been removed as there was a lot of damage.  For sections that were not, I removed them anyways so that once completed all of the edge banding will match.  And that brings me to the original question.  Does anybody have a source for edge banding that will more or less match the original Walnut Oiled finish?  For the new toe rails I would need to either find a walnut plank that matches the speakers or veneer something like red oak to match the edge banding.

I'm in North Bay, Ontario and plan on having the speakers in the house before winter.  I've been running with electrostatic speakers since the early 80's, and am looking forward to trying the Klipschorns in their place.  The picture labelled Stereo 1 is my current and only system.  I would need to build the corners for the Klipschorns, as you can see with a log home there aren't many options.  

Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome.

Stephen

Stereo 1.jpg

K-horn Label.jpg

K-horn Front.jpg

K-horn Crossover.jpg

K-horn Back.jpg

• Like 1

I would try woodworkers supply I have used them and it matches pretty good. Don't forget that original banding may have been stained and for sure it was oiled. The banding will look darker then. You say the walnut you got was to grey or black I never seen that.

You can veneer the toe kick board also and then oil it to match.

The transformer on the crossover is still fine just change the caps and inductors. Don't forget the squawker gaskets, I'm guessing your going to use 4500 hz crossover mod from Bob. Also make sure the bass bin is sealed to corner vertical and horizontally.

I also found air leaks in my 74s bass bin you might check that also.

you're going to have to search to find something that will closely match... thankfully you don't need that much so you can order many samples until you find a strip that will satisfy you.

you may even consider just leaving it, it doesn't look that bad to me.

One of the areas of concern is the age / light exposure to the wood. While Cherry darkens in the light, Walnut bleaches out (gets lighter) due to sunlight. Re-oil finishing the whole cabinet might be in order to make everything match.

Also, a gloss black toe board might save you a lot of trouble, can look great and will be easiest to touch up after taking a ricochets from Matchbox Cars.  

• Like 1

Walnut edge banding should relatively easy to find IMO. And you know what, when your working on the speakers you nit pick every little thing(at least I do) and later nobody even notices little flaws. Just my $0.02

You got corners for those corner horns?

My thoughts.

I don't know why your purchase would tend toward black but raw wood probably varies a bit according to the species and the tree from which it was harvested.

My thought is that there is more info from the gun people than speaker people. 

There are very many illustrations of staining walnut gun stocks on U-Tube and the Internet.  Even the manufacture of M1 stocks. In several cases I see that raw walnut stocks look a lot like other raw woods.  Just tan. OTOH, this Wikipedia shows that black walnut has relatively dark color right from the tree. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juglans_nigra

The story of the M1 is here.

At 11:45 we see the turning of the stock on a lathe.  In black-and-white video we can't make out the color of the workpiece, though.

It may be that you'll obtain raw walnut veneer and have to experiment with the effect of various stains, multiple applications of it, and application of oil / varnish. One good thing is that stains are available in small quantities.http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/wood-stains/gun-stock-stain-prod6706.aspx

I don't know whether Klipsch bought pre-stained walnut plywood with edge strips from a commercial source, sometimes, always, or never.  Andy would know more and might come in here to give advice.  My thought is that it is unrealistic to think that any veneer purchased off the shelf 20 years after the unit was built is going to match exactly.  You'll have to experiment.

WMcD

I bought a roll of walnut veneer and it was a little gray. Not sure if it shows here but in person it's got a little gray hue. I bought edge banding at my local woodworkers source and it had a similar color. Once oiled you never knew.

image.jpg1_zpsdhlbrcmq.jpg

photo1_zps202fddcb.jpg

you can see oiled and un-oiled portions.

Good luck!

Ryanm84,

Good point, how it looks in the packaging and then oiled is a different animal. I may just open a package of banding and see how a bit of oil finish works out. 

And to Weber:  No, sorry. I just can't see a black toe rail with oiled walnut.  I'm assuming you were joking about that. May as well just spray paint the whole thing fluorescent orange. Hey, wait a minute......

• Moderators

Edge banding is easy to find in different flavors, I bought 250' rolls off of ebay cheap. It is real wood and you stain it to match, I used Red Oak because the cabinets were Red Oak and I stained it when I stained the rest of the cabinets, came out perfect. Also used it on many other projects to cover the layered end of plywood.

There is two different kind, 1 you need to add glue and put it on, 2 it already has heat sensitive glue on it and you just put it on and heat it up with an iron. 

I always use the iron on because it's easier and if you mess up you just reheat it to remove or realign. I have been using the iron on for a long time and had no problems. 

Just find the type wood your looking for and the size roll needed.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR1.TRC0.A0.H1.Xwood+edgebanding.TRS0&_nkw=wood+edge+banding&_sacat=0

7 minutes ago, StephenJK said:

I'm guessing that they ran out of veneer, and in a last minute frantic pantic meeting someone said - "I know!  Let's spray paint it gloss black!  It will match perfectly!"

Don't forget to check this out

http://www.klipschupgrades.com/restorations.shtml

And read this !

http://cheaptubeaudio.blogspot.com/2016/02/klipsch-la-scala-mods-alk-b-crites.html

11 hours ago, Weber said:

Also, a gloss black toe board might save you a lot of trouble, can look great and will be easiest to touch up after taking a ricochets from Matchbox Cars.  

This is actually a very good idea (not just a spray paint job, but a very high quality black lacquer finish -- think piano black lacquer).  The 60th and 50th anniversary models also had something similar.

8 hours ago, JMON said:

This is actually a very good idea (not just a spray paint job, but a very high quality black lacquer finish -- think piano black lacquer).  The 60th and 50th anniversary models also had something similar.

You know, Weber just might have something there, I had assumed he was being jocular and now formally apologize for not having taken him seriously.  Black lacquer would certainly do away with any concerns of matching wood grains.  

And to dirtmudd, thanks for the advice on the edge banding.  I will try to oil some that I have to see how it works out.  My biggest concern was that I had bought the same veneer in sheets to do the new toe rail - if that's to be finished in something such as black lacquer then matching perfectly is no longer a concern.  

And thanks for the link to the blog post regarding modification of the Klispchorns.  I tend to agree with the author, and can relate.  I had read with interest a modification done by Greg Roberts at Volti to close in the bass bins and had seriously considered that.  I have since decided not to proceed based on the simple fact that while it is certainly doable, it was not part of the original design.  

I'll keep everyone posted on further developments.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, StephenJK said:

You know, Weber just might have something there, I had assumed he was being jocular and now formally apologize for not having taken him seriously.  Black lacquer would certainly do away with any concerns of matching wood grains.  

<snip>

I'll keep everyone posted on further developments.  

Since it's on the floor / not at eye level, it stands alone and doesn't 'need' the finish (or to match) the rest of the cabinet. When moving the cabinets, vacuuming, kids playing, etc..that rail is the bumper and, because it's wood, is vulnerable itself. For only a few $, one could buy some black UHMW and see how it looks. The stuff is very easy to work with woodworking tools. It would be easy to dress up by cutting an Ogee bead (or 1/4 round, or..) along the tops and sides. The material is durable, solid color so it won't show damage as easily as wood...and if it doesn't work, it can be used elsewhere. 

Good luck 

Pictures.  I don't know if they will post in order, but it's like this.

The one labelled Walnut Dry is the speaker with a small piece of the walnut edge banding I just bought.  The second picture is Speaker Mineral Spirits, with a quick wipedown with mineral spirits to show the grain when wetted.  The final picture, Both Mineral Spirits is exactly that, both wiped down.

The edge banding continues to have a grayish look to it while the speaker  has a nice brown coloration.  I can stain the edge banding, but that will certainly make it darker.  More experimentation is needed.  Unless, of course, someone says "Stephen, buy this veneer over here and it will match perfectly."

Walnut Dry.jpg

Speaker Mineral Spirits.jpg

Both Mineral Spirits.jpg

The best way I found to match I Klipsch walnut veneer.....A minwax stain called gunstock.....This is for a walnut veneer that has a redish brown tone.

Please see pic.....these the risers were completely recapped...... just slightly lighter than main cabinet ......they will darken when applying Briwax

WP_20161007_007.jpg