New SVS SUBS

timdog5000

1 hour ago, Youthman said:

I personally think the new sub looks amazing, but at $2500....I'll have to pass.  As mentioned, I could build (ahem have someone build) several incredible DIY horn or IB subs that would surpass the SVS and still have money left over.

For a good ID sub, the price is in line with Seation, PSA, RA, ect.  I can't see myself going back to retail or ID for a sub considering the cost.  Look and Rob and Fuzzy dog, their subs are beautiful and high performance!  A little elbow grease goes a long way.

5 hours ago, Youthman said:

Nope....it looks like I am.  :lol:  Last night I saw an ad on my Facebook and posted about it in the Home Theater section.  Do you think I should merge my thread with yours or just leave it asis?

I personally think the new sub looks amazing, but at $2500....I'll have to pass.  As mentioned, I could build (ahem have someone build) several incredible DIY horn or IB subs that would surpass the SVS and still have money left over.

Merge if you like but  either way is fine with me.   I agree, too rich for my blood. Although I may pick up the scraps from people who switch out their PB 13's  for a friend. Those are some pretty good scraps though!

12 hours ago, Youthman said:

Nope....it looks like I am.  :lol:  Last night I saw an ad on my Facebook and posted about it in the Home Theater section.  Do you think I should merge my thread with yours or just leave it asis?

no need to merge on my account,  totally up to you Michael. i'm afraid it's too rich for my blood as well, but I WILL be watching for people to dump their PB 13's for 16s and hoping to pick a couple up  their scraps . some pretty awesome scraps though :-)

Thanks for the link, didn't notice the specs before. It would be interesting to know how loud it goes and distortion ratings.

Quick Specs

• 16"
    Driver
  • 1,500 watts RMS (5,000+ watts peak)
    Amplifier
  • 25” H X 21.7” W X 30.9” D
    Dimension
  • 174.5 lbs.
    Weight
  • 15-280 Hz +/- 3 dB (standard mode)
    Freq. Response
  • 13-280 Hz +/- 3 dB (extended mode)

• 14-360 Hz +/- 3 dB (sealed mode)

4 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Thanks for the link, didn't notice the specs before. It would be interesting to know how loud it goes and distortion ratings.

Quick Specs

• 16"
    Driver
  • 1,500 watts RMS (5,000+ watts peak)
    Amplifier
  • 25” H X 21.7” W X 30.9” D
    Dimension
  • 174.5 lbs.
    Weight
  • 15-280 Hz +/- 3 dB (standard mode)
    Freq. Response
  • 13-280 Hz +/- 3 dB (extended mode)

• 14-360 Hz +/- 3 dB (sealed mode)

If you scroll further down the page it mentions an 82 mm Xmax and 95 mm Xmech...

It may not be audible but, the more Xmax and Xmech used in sound reproduction increases distortion just do to more cone movement.  Don't jump on this, I did say it may not be audible.  But, there is something to having a large box and less driver excursion.

I just got off the phone with SVS. I ended up ordering 2 SB16s as part of their trade up promo. I have 2 SB13s that I will be ugrading from. I will share some thoughts and pictures when I get things set up and in place. I definitely agree that there are better values out there but the SVS bill of rights and the relatively small size of these is an appealing combo. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

On 10/14/2016 at 7:47 PM, GPBusa said:

If you scroll further down the page it mentions an 82 mm Xmax and 95 mm Xmech...

Strange that not only did they seem to not use the same driver for the ported vs. sealed, they took the one with the more xmax and put it in the ported box.  Seems strange because at the tuning frequency, the ported box ought to have much less excursion due to the backpressure at the port, and most likely a DSP is going to block frequencies that are much below that point.  Shouldn't need more excursion than the sealed version unless they're dipping way below the tuning frequency, which may be the case, I dunno.  

The problems giving the seal the driver with more Xmax is the spring effect due to box size.  The more excursion in a sealed system, the more back pressure produced from the box to fight excursion.  More fighting  between the driver and box, the more heat built up in the VC and stress on the amp.

The 1500 w RMS is just a number that is influenced by box size.  Make a bigger box and the driver effiecieny will go up and less power or watts, is needed to reach Xmax or Xmech.  The down size is large boxes take up room.

• 3 weeks later...