New SVS SUBS

timdog5000

Although I love my 2-PB 12/2 + and I personally like the look of the new subs I can't afford  to even  look at them too hard.   With all the awesome subs I see people building on this forum and others I think they would be a hard sell for people who have to save quite a while to get them.  I'll be interested to read the reviews.

9 hours ago, timdog5000 said:

Although I love my 2-PB 12/2 + and I personally like the look of the new subs I can't afford  to even  look at them too hard.   With all the awesome subs I see people building on this forum and others I think they would be a hard sell for people who have to save quite a while to get them.  I'll be interested to read the reviews.

I'm still waiting to take your order on some subs 

I have thought for a while about SVS and tried to figure out what the strategy has been.  This driver and system I think tell me the real story.

Look at the dimensions of this box:

25 x 22 x 31

This system is rated to have a response down to 13hz +-3db

I think Derrick is correct that they design oddball driver sizes in order to keep things proprietary and not often have someone put a different replacement in the box.

You must go to them...and probably would want to anyway in most cases considering the DSP they use to flatten the response.

But what is SVS's strategy?

Look at DIY.  To get really low bass typically takes a large enclosure, 6ft, 8ft, 10ft, 12ft even up to 20cft and more.

THIS box, as a potential top performer in the market, can fit into anybody's living room.

It's not small, but it's not DIY either.  It is a serious size but one that can be made to work.

I believe this is the purpose of their designs, especially this new one.  The problem with almost all the highest end subs is size.

By making a monster driver with a motor and coil of this magnitude, they appear to be going for the unicorn combination of smaller size AND max performance.

It also has a very modern look, with a digital readout and ability to use a smartphone to program it. 

I don't know if the goal is to sell a lot or have a flagship.  Like an automaker, they may simply want something to show off, and then direct most to a few steps down.  

It seems a very smart design idea, taking them into the realm of the top ID manufacturers and able to compete to the level of 99%+ of sub buyers.  

• Like 1

On 10/10/2016 at 0:44 PM, RoboKlipsch said:

I have thought for a while about SVS and tried to figure out what the strategy has been.  This driver and system I think tell me the real story.

Look at the dimensions of this box:

25 x 22 x 31

This system is rated to have a response down to 13hz +-3db

I think Derrick is correct that they design oddball driver sizes in order to keep things proprietary and not often have someone put a different replacement in the box.

You must go to them...and probably would want to anyway in most cases considering the DSP they use to flatten the response.

But what is SVS's strategy?

Look at DIY.  To get really low bass typically takes a large enclosure, 6ft, 8ft, 10ft, 12ft even up to 20cft and more.

THIS box, as a potential top performer in the market, can fit into anybody's living room.

It's not small, but it's not DIY either.  It is a serious size but one that can be made to work.

I believe this is the purpose of their designs, especially this new one.  The problem with almost all the highest end subs is size.

By making a monster driver with a motor and coil of this magnitude, they appear to be going for the unicorn combination of smaller size AND max performance.

It also has a very modern look, with a digital readout and ability to use a smartphone to program it. 

I don't know if the goal is to sell a lot or have a flagship.  Like an automaker, they may simply want something to show off, and then direct most to a few steps down.  

It seems a very smart design idea, taking them into the realm of the top ID manufacturers and able to compete to the level of 99%+ of sub buyers.  

This makes one think of Hoffman's Iron Law.  You can have two of these three things: small box size, deep bass, high driver sensitivity.  In DYI, we don't want to pay a high price relatively for the driver so, the box get's big.  This keeps the driver and amp power less saving money.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 10/8/2016 at 5:22 PM, timdog5000 said:

No talk about the new SVS subs?  Or am I late to the party somewhere else and I did not see it?

Nope....it looks like I am.  :lol:  Last night I saw an ad on my Facebook and posted about it in the Home Theater section.  Do you think I should merge my thread with yours or just leave it asis?

I personally think the new sub looks amazing, but at $2500....I'll have to pass.  As mentioned, I could build (ahem have someone build) several incredible DIY horn or IB subs that would surpass the SVS and still have money left over.

9 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

This makes one think of Hoffman's Iron Law.  You can have two of these three things: small box size, deep bass, high driver sensitivity.  In DYI, we don't want to pay a high price relatively for the driver so, the box get's big.  This keeps the driver and amp power less saving money.

Much more succinct, and accurate way of saying what I tried to say, nicely done!  

I can't imagine the replacement cost for a driver!