ALK Crossovers

mkane

Al considers the VC inductance as being part of the network - so he backs the 1mH inductance of the VC out of his low pass designs. Since no one in the industry does this, I was never comfortable with it. The bass sounds a little bloated and the lower midrange doesn't sound right (suckout). 

I honestly don't know what he's doing these days with the simple designs - I just thought the 33uF seemed too small for everything except the Cornwall. I continue to use the 2.54mH/47uF for the big three. 

5 hours ago, wdecho said:

I do not believe Al actually builds the Wall to suit the customer. I think what he is talking about is that the Wall will work for 400 to 600 hz because the the network depends about as much on the acoustic crossover as the electronic one. 

I emailed ALK yesterday to verify exactly that. 

I was assured that Cornscalla wall crossover is available in different configurations.

for instance the 400hz version uses a 47uf cap and the 600hz version uses a 33uf etc.

I don't save and or repost emails to use against people, nor do I repost emails without express permission from the author. 

HB

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:04 AM, mkane said:

Tinkering, as usual. I have some AP12xxx & Universals. On AL's website it says I can use the 6000hz section of the Universals in place of his ES5800's by connecting to it's  bi-amp input??????????????????? No pictures in his user manual for this and my understanding all this is far above my pay grade. Could somebody explain this in a way a 1/2 idiot can understand. Thanks

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 11:24 AM, mboxler said:

Have you contacted Al? 

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:40 AM, mkane said:

I have not contacted Al. 

Why not..?   Since he is selling these I would hope he would be glad to answer your question.

21 hours ago, Doug said:

On a related note, it seems like constant impedance is a big feature of ALK crossovers.  What are the sonic consequences of non-constant impedance?

Klipsch uses "Balancing Networks" and takes into account more than just the crossover points..!!!

When designed as part of a fully tested and integrated loudspeaker system and used with ampifiers with reasonable damping factors the "sonic consequences" are what Klipsch wanted you to experience.

miketn

Klipsch Balancing Network.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Doug said:

What are the sonic consequences of non-constant impedance?  I've read Al's website, and he says something like "amps don't like it when impedance varies with frequency", but I'm wondering what this really means.  Will it make your amp wear out sooner?  Does it cause attenuation or distortion of the frequencies where impedance is higher?  Lets assume we are running a "worst case scenario" low wattage SET amp for the purpose of discussion.

In the case of low wattage SET amplifiers and constant impedance by the swamping resistor method AL uses in his networks my response is......   "As they say be careful what you wish for"...:D

Because many no-feedback SET amplifiers have low damping factors their frequency response will vary slightly with impedance variations with the result of typically small changes in the tonal balance of the loudspeaker. What many may not realize is that SET sound you love when paired with your Klipschorn for example is partly because of this interaction..!!! One thing is for certain the swamping resistor method reduces the available power from your "low wattage amplifier" and in systems/rooms where you barely reach the SPL Levels you like to listen to you could find yourself running out of "steam" especially on vocals as in my past experiences with SET and Klipschorn pairings.

miketn

44 minutes ago, Deang said:

why is nobody replying

- Alexia

Alexia,

I'm sure its because most middle aged men find it inappropriate to be conversing with an 11 year old on the internet. I think it would be a good idea for you to give your Dad his phone back.

• Like 3

I am not worried about a constant impedance for my amplifier.  I do not think that it is necessary.

However, swamping the resistance of the midrange with a parallel resistor allows you to adjust the taps on the autoformer without changing caps. 

I am not a crossover expert, so my question is are there any disadvantages to swamping the autoformer?  The adjustable midrange is a nice feature. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoboNerd said:

On the other hand, if you have an amplifier with poor damping factor, like a 5 Watt SET, It will operate much better if it sees a constant impedance load. The frequency response can actually follow the load impedance curve.

"Better" isn't completely correct because it depends on what one's goal is.

Yes the 5 watt SET will have a tighter (+/- db vs frequency variation) but again some available power from the amplifier will be used by the swamping resistor causing a little less maximum SPL available to the listener.

It should also be noted that some "Full Range Single Driver Systems" actually can have an extended bandwidth and an improved accuracy of reproduction when used with amplifiers with very low damping factors due to their impedance variations at the frequency extremes and these amplifiers interaction with this variation. (See: Nelson Pass and the First Watt websites for research on this subject: http://www.firstwatt.com/articles.html  )

art_cs_amps.pdf

miketn

Sorry if my "sonic consequences" phrase came across as a value judgement.  For the purposes of the question, I don't care whether networks sound "better" with or without the swamping resistor.  I'm simply trying to understand what exactly the effect of uneven impedance across the frequency spectrum would be in terms of output from the speaker (in very basic terms).  Sorry if the answer has been stated already in terms I just don't understand, but with a SET amp and a stock AA network (no swamping resistor) in a Klipschorn, would there be more or less output at the frequency where the impedance is the highest?  

In other words, would would a SET amp driving a stock AA network result in more or less midrange output from the loudspeaker compared to the same amp driving an equivalent network with constant impedance (assuming the same taps are used on the autotransformer)?  Does 70 ohms equal more or less decibels from the loudspeaker at that frequency compared to a frequency where the impedance is 4 ohms?

This seems like it would be testable with pink noise, a good mic(s), and some analysis software.