ALK Crossovers

mkane

Tinkering, as usual. I have some AP12xxx & Universals. On AL's website it says I can use the 6000hz section of the Universals in place of his ES5800's by connecting to it's  bi-amp input??????????????????? No pictures in his user manual for this and my understanding all this is far above my pay grade. Could somebody explain this in a way a 1/2 idiot can understand. Thanks

DSC_0001%201_zps3x89e086.jpg

Can you provide a picture of the Universal from the top?  Al's instructions were meant for the original universal, and may not work with the economy version.

Hopefully there is a screw down post on the back side of the 33uF capacitor.  You would connect the + wire from the AP12-xxx mid out to that post instead of the front terminal strip.   Have you contacted Al? 

Mike

Here is a picture of the ALK Universal that I pulled off his website.  In order to wire for bi-amping, you want to bypass the 1.3 mH inductor and the two paralleled 24 uF capacitors (basically, cutting off the right third of the network).  As I remember, to do this, you need to remove the two terminal jumpers, connect the negative speaker cable to the fourth screw from the right, and connect the positive speaker cable to the screw that is to the immediate left of the two large capacitors. 

In your case, there is no easy way to bypass these components, unless you want to do a lot of cutting, rewiring, and soldering.

DSCN3156.jpg

I'll give these to my son and let his ears decide, they're young. Or. I could keep these on the shelf just to look at. Either way I will get the AP 600 installed even if I have to buy the different section to make it work. Question is do I go with a ES or a GS. We rarely turn the volume up.

I simply meant that this particular network is marketed as "Universal", and is sold to support all of the Heritage loudspeakers. 

The first Universal used 40uF and 2.4mH. He then went to 48uF and 1.3mH. Now we have 33uF and 1.3mH. In the case of his Super AA rebuild, he's using 33uF, but leaving the stock 2.5mH in place. The reasoning that is used is that low order filters are "sloppy" and that since the horns determine the real crossover points - it doesn't really matter. 

I've built and listened to all of these iterations, and I can tell you that it does matter. The electrical and acoustical combine - and changing these values around impacts the sound. 

When I built the Universal, I adjusted the values for the loudspeaker they were being used for. 

I also applied this to the Super AA, which is why I changed the name from "Super AA" to "SuperX" (when I realized that the high pass value should be adjusted depending on the loudspeaker the network was being used for).

I'm tired of looking at electical simulations that tell you absolutely nothing about what the loudspeaker is actually doing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deang said:

I simply meant that this particular network is marketed as "Universal", and is sold to support all of the Heritage loudspeakers. 

When I ordered mine from Al, I was given  different options for the Cornscala-wall crossover.

I remember 400/600 might have been on option for 500 on the lf,  and 4000/6000 on the top end.

I have the 600/6000 in my Cornscala's

My mistake, its 400/600 an 4000/5000/or6000 I new there was a 5 in there somewhere.

Found it on ALK page

A true 3-way network including a full crossover from squawker to tweeter at 4000, 5000 or 6000 Hz (bandpass) allowing the use of any quality squawker driver or the Klipsch K55.

• The low frequency crossover is 1st order at roughly 400 or 600 Hz. The actual crossover frequency is acoustic and determined by the woofer and squawker driver and horn making it truly "Universal". It is compatible with the stock Cornwall, Heresy or virtually any Cornscala configuration.
  • Like 1