Pre-construction speaker brackets

Arun Gupta

Planning to buy a pair of R 5800 W II and CDT 5800 C II for our home theater. The room is 28' x 14' and these are going in-ceiling and in-wall (rear)

Are these the matching brackets?

http://www.klipsch.com/products/architectural-accessories#ik-800-w

http://www.klipsch.com/products/architectural-accessories#me-800-c

Do these brackets add much value to the home theater experience?

Arun

At the end of the day, you still just have a speaker in the wall, you can't tell they are there once installed.  The preconstruction brackets are just easier, cleaner, and faster.  The alternative is drawing a rectangle on the wall with the supplied cardboard templates, then taking one of these and cutting holes by hand, which gets old real quick:

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Morris-Products-6-in-Aluminum-Wallboard-Hand-Saw/4683177?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA_ONLY-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-SosAtg-PowerTools-_-4683177:Morris_Products&CAWELAID=&kpid=4683177&CAGPSPN=pla&k_clickID=8809aab5-5cef-49b6-ac33-de6eeef8c51f

Or you can put the preconstruction brackets up, the drywall crew can note the location just like your electric boxes, then route each one out in about 2 seconds with a clean cut from a drywall router.  Your choice.  

I wouldn't think so.  If you're worried about additional support, block it up with wood so that you're not relying on drywall to be your baffle.  I did this on my Atmos ceiling speakers.  It was largely a big giant waste of time but if you're going to be slamming them with a full range signal, it may be something you want to consider.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Budman said:

the pre drywall brackets are nailed or screwed to a 2x4 so yes they provide the best support

There is a single thin and perforated metal band that is stretched between two studs that holds them up.  I wouldn't count on them for providing significant additional baffle support that would improve the sound.  

14238138_10154076212159401_4411736151395

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:09 AM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

At the end of the day, you still just have a speaker in the wall, you can't tell they are there once installed.  The preconstruction brackets are just easier, cleaner, and faster.  The alternative is drawing a rectangle on the wall with the supplied cardboard templates, then taking one of these and cutting holes by hand, which gets old real quick:

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Morris-Products-6-in-Aluminum-Wallboard-Hand-Saw/4683177?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA_ONLY-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-SosAtg-PowerTools-_-4683177:Morris_Products&CAWELAID=&kpid=4683177&CAGPSPN=pla&k_clickID=8809aab5-5cef-49b6-ac33-de6eeef8c51f

Or you can put the preconstruction brackets up, the drywall crew can note the location just like your electric boxes, then route each one out in about 2 seconds with a clean cut from a drywall router.  Your choice.  

Can someone with experience using pre-construction brackets provide clarification on @MetropolisLakeOutfitters "the drywall crew can note the location just like your electric boxes."

1. If the drywall crew secures 4'x8' drywall sheets to the ceiling's joists after the speaker brackets are installed, how does the crew note the location of where the speaker brackets are?
  2. If there's crawl space above the ceiling, does it make more sense to cut the drywall from above the ceiling (using the speaker bracket as one's guide) after the drywall is installed?

Since I'm going to use a 100 Hz crossover to these ceiling speakers, I'm thinking of 6 1/2" woofer in-ceiling speakers are the way I'll go, most likely the CDT-5650-C IIs.

I forget how exactly they do it to be honest but basically when they put drywall up they know where your electric boxes are and just stick in a router and buzz around the perimeter, it's a perfect cut.  They do the same with these brackets.  I imagine they measure but it's been awhile.  I don't know why you would ever want to cut drywall from above the ceiling.  

Thanks, @MetropolisLakeOutfitters for responding so rapidly to words you wrote three years ago!

Our General Contractor wants to charge a substantial upcharge for installing the in-ceiling Atmos Klipschs. I'm thinking, pre-drywall, running the speaker wire and mounting the IK-650-C pre-construction brackets myself, letting the construction crew put up the ceiling, and then when it's all over personally going into the crawl space above the ceiling and using the speaker brackets as my guide, cut out the drywall from above the ceiling. That way, no fee upcharge and no measuring.

That's why I'm thinking of cutting the drywall from above the ceiling. Is there a flaw in my theory?

The entire reason behind using the brackets is speed and clean cuts.  If you're going to do that then you might as well just skip it and cut it out as if you were retrofitting it.  No reason for the brackets doing what you are describing.  

• Thanks 1