Pondering Purchase of Forte's or Heresy's

Peter P.

Since this is my first post, I owe you an introduction and a little background.

As a teenager in the 70's, I read the stereo magazines at the library. I saw the Klipsch ads and became a fan without even hearing them.

Then in the Air Force in the late 70's, I bought my first stereo. I walked into the shop, saw the Klipschorns in the corners and asked the salesman to play something. He spun a direct-to-disc of Steely Dan's "Reelin' In The Years" from Can't Buy A Thrill. The only way I could describe the sound is "effortless". Needless to say, at that point I became a lifetime fan even though I didn't have the wallet to back it up.

When a long lost friend and I connected several years ago, I learned her husband had a pair of Forte's he bought used for $500, I think. Going for my first visit to their house across the country, I brought some CD's so I could hear them. I'd read a glowing review of the Forte II in the former Stereo Review many years prior and the comments and conclusions stuck in my memory. Upon hearing the Version I's, it was merely confirmation of the Klipsch legend.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. I was playing a CD from the Boston Rally Bass Collection; a series of discs with musical tracks designed to test various bass parameters. I was listening to Disc 1 in my condo; Disc 1 focused on cuts which would tease the lowest octave or two. My current speakers are Mission 700 Leading Edge bookshelf-ers on 24" stands utilizing 6.5" woofers and a 55Hz lower limit. I really wasn't playing them that loud, and the amp wasn't clipping when I started to hear a buzz.

Uh oh; I think I blew a woofer!

Now, this could be a good thing because my speakers are 28 years old and I wouldn't mind replacing them. I started crawling all over eBay and Craigslist for Klipsch speakers.

But I'm cheap. So I decided to see if I could determine what's wrong and perhaps repair them.

I swapped woofers in the cabinets but the buzz stayed with the cabinet. I couldn't imagine the crossover being the culprit but I inspected them anyway; no burning smells or cracked components. Hmmm.

Then I got the bright idea to play them again using the same disc but at a lower volume; NO BUZZ. That told me something might be cracked. Both speakers had a fine, imperfect line running down the longest open span of the baffle. Looked like a crack to me, so I got the bright idea to drill a 1/8" hole mid-span of the "crack" and insert a wood screw. That might act like a wedge and shore up the baffle.

It didn't work.

I then rapped on the baffle with my knuckles and found it; the super low bass had loosened the adhesive holding the baffle onto the cabinet face! My solution was to flow some Gorilla Glue into the edge where the baffle meets the cabinet. I cleaned up the excess, and it worked! Now I had two good, working speakers and no reason to buy a pair of Klipsch's.

But the seed was planted. I have found a pair of Heresy II's on Craigslist for $700. From the description, they're definitely audiophile-owned and well cared for. Also on Craigslist, I found a pawn shop that had a pair of BOTH Forte's AND Forte II's, for $500 and $550 respectively. Well, obviously I didn't act on them quick enough so the Forte II's are gone. But the Forte's are still available and calling my name.

Now to the questions: Of course you think "pawn shop" and you think "junk" but the ad says they're in excellent shape. Photos show the bridging straps between the binding posts are missing. Are they available or would I have to cobble something together? I'm an electronic tech so I could solder a pair of jumpers in my sleep, but the real deal appeals to me.

Also, is there a way to test the speakers without playing them to ensure the drivers are in working order? Is a resistance test with an ohmmeter reasonably reliable? Assuming the pawn shop doesn't have the means to audition these, and assuming they have a no return policy, can you still get replacement drivers or crossover parts? If I perform a resistance test on-site, what are good numbers I should see for the woofer and for the combined horn drivers?

I'm inclined to think the Heresy's would be a better match for my condo-living. They have the same lower end cutoff as my Mission 700's but somehow I expect the bass will exceed my existing speakers in all aspects, without breaking a baffle! The only problems are they are selling for $200 more than the Forte's and it's perhaps an extra hour's drive to pick them up.

Thanks for reading-I hope you found it interesting, and I'm open to advice and suggestions.

• Like 1

I have not heard the Fortes but they are very well regarded on the forum and will have a better low end extension than the Heresys. I agree with Oldtimer that they would be the better option. Your best bet without listening to them is to push on the woofer with your ear up to it and hear for any crackling or clicking. They are older speakers so you will want to replace the capacitors as a matter of routine maintenance. Bob Crites has earned himself the reputation as the 'go to' guy for Heritage replacement parts and I have always had a good experience when dealing with him, he sells new crossovers as well as repair kits.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/

• Like 1

Hi Peter, welcome to the forum.  :D:emotion-21::emotion-19:

I haven't heard either of the speakers you're interested in, but all the advice above ^^^ is consistent with all the things I've read.

The only thing I might suggest to you is since you are an electronics tech, you might enjoy ordering some parts and updating your crossovers yourself.  It sounds like you can solder in your sleep.  Me, not so much.  :cool:

Welcome.  -Dave

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Peter.

Forte, even if they cost the same, or a little more than Heresy. Both prices are on the upper end of what you can find them for if you wait. $500 for Forte if they're in real nice shape. I would not pay $700 for Heresy. The easiest way to test them is hook them up and listen. The dust caps on the Forte's passive radiator will probably be pushed in, most are and it doesn't hurt a thing. My first pair of Forte developed cracks in the surround seals. It  was the only set of five that I've had that did that. 

I like the Heritage series, but have enjoyed other series too - Ex: KG, Legend. Epic, etc...

I owned forte's, quartets(2 pairs) and currently own Heresy I's and Heresy II's.  While I thoroughly enjoyed the forte's and Quartets, I more enjoy the HI's and HII's.  It is the sealed cabinet "tightness" that wins over the others IMO.  With that said, $700.00 for Heresys is pretty steep while the forte's price is more in line with what I have seen lately.

Bill

• Like 2

Welcome! Both speakers will be great, I'd opt for the forte's myself, you can always dial back the bass if need be or keep them out of the corners will help.

"Photos show the bridging straps between the binding posts are missing."

Neither the forte or the Heresy II have dual inputs?

"Also, is there a way to test the speakers without playing them to ensure the drivers are in working order?"

Any pawnshop I've ever been to will test items right in front of you. They certainly test everything that comes in on loan.

"can you still get replacement drivers or crossover parts?"

Replacements parts are readily available for both speakers.

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forum... I'm also going to 2nd and 3rd for the Forte's..... I own both Heresy II's and Forte I's.... both are are great speakers but I like the Sound of my Forte's over the Heresy's....

You know if your looking at spending around $700, ya might run across a set of Chorus I's or II's. Another great speaker... a bit bigger than the Forte's. Just helping you spend your money$$$$ ;)

Enjoy your new speakers, no matter what you get...

MKP :-)

I'll jump in here also to say that $700 is high for Heresy, even if they are in very outstanding condition.  Yes, Forte's are a bit placement sensitive, so that's something to be aware of.  Regarding the binding straps, you could call Klipsch customer service, but I wouldn't see that as a big issue.  Pretty much the only way you are going to check the drivers is to disconnect them from the crossovers and check their resistance measurements.  You can find the values via this forum or at Klipsch.com.

9 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Now to the questions: Of course you think "pawn shop" and you think "junk" but the ad says they're in excellent shape. Photos show the bridging straps between the binding posts are missing. Are they available or would I have to cobble something together? I'm an electronic tech so I could solder a pair of jumpers in my sleep, but the real deal appeals to me.

Also, is there a way to test the speakers without playing them to ensure the drivers are in working order? Is a resistance test with an ohmmeter reasonably reliable? Assuming the pawn shop doesn't have the means to audition these, and assuming they have a no return policy, can you still get replacement drivers or crossover parts? If I perform a resistance test on-site, what are good numbers I should see for the woofer and for the combined horn drivers?

Thanks to those that pointed out the Forte dual binding posts were "not factory". You were right; it makes you wonder as to the quality of the work and whatever else might have been modified.

I'm definitely leaning toward Heresy's versus anything larger (with lower bass). I can't imagine what a Forte would do to my condo neighbors.

I've been "hooked", prowling Craigslist and eBay daily. Are the Heresy I's any good, considering the drivers were mounted on the backside of the baffle? How does that impact the sound? Is the Heresy II really that much of an improvement?

I also found a pair of Heresy II's for $450 but it's a 3 hour drive one way to fetch. Then there's a pair of Heresy I's with some staining of the cabinet top, going for $400. Makes me wonder if the stains could be sanded out...

Thanks for reading!

10 hours ago, Peter P. said:

I've been "hooked", prowling Craigslist and eBay daily.

You are not alone my friend.:D

Are the Heresy I's any good, considering the drivers were mounted on the backside of the baffle?

Absolutely.

How does that impact the sound?

I have never been able to "hear" any sound deficiencies.

Is the Heresy II really that much of an improvement?

I own both and absolutely love both.  My HII's have all original components and as far as I know, have never had the crossovers recapped.  On the other hand, my HI's have been recapped and have the Crites CT125 tweeters instead of the original K-77.

Bill

• Like 1

H II's are great speakers. I had a real nice pair a while back....a young kid from work came over one day and offered me decent money for them.... Of course I said no.

He kept on bugging me and finally I gave in....Kinda of wish I didn't...Don't know where I'd put them??? But Hersey I's were the first Klipsch I ever heard...That's where it all started.

No matter which ones you end up with....you will be in horn heaven.

G.E.M.

8 minutes ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

With some good power to them you won't be able to hear the neighbors banging on your door:laugh:

MKP :-)

On a scale of 1-10.... I will give that thought a solid.....9

so +9 on that.....wait a minute let me turn it up to 11

• Like 1

Keep in mind that the forte and Heresy have the same basic footprint so you really aren't saving any space with the Heresy if that's a deciding factor. You can always turn the bass down and positioning really does impact the impact. Keep them out of the corners and the bass should not be overwhelming.

Parts for the forte come up for sale all the time on eBay so if the crossovers or terminal cups are junk you can always return them to factory down the road, as long as the cabinets have not been modified.