Audyssey Trims Bottomed Out for LaScalas and Subs

Youthman

On 10/11/2016 at 3:17 PM, Youthman said:

So as you can see, not only are the LaScala Trio bottomed out, the Subs are too and every channel is in the negative.

On 10/11/2016 at 3:17 PM, Youthman said:

I wanted to start a new thread to get some fresh insight. 

There is no problem. :emotion-55: Avoid the groupthink.

3 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Left - 76db

center - 75db

right - 76db

Right surround - 74db

Right Surround Back - 74db

Left Surround Back - 74db

Left Surround - 74db

Left Subs - 67db

Right Subs - 68db

ok so now run audyssey on all eight positions and then re check these. if they are the same, then turn center up 1db to match at 76 then turn all surrounds up 2db to match at 76. then i would try and turn subs up to your liking. i run mine 6 hot after calibration now. there should be a way to turn them up at them same time. that would let you now what level they are summed as. i would think 73-74 then can turn them up to 80ish. if that is your liking. i find that a comfortable enough boost music sounds great and it isn't overwhelming on movies. 

• Moderators

Gotcha Hollow.

so now comes back to the question of what positions? The Audyssey diagram shows way different positions than what others here I had recommended.  should I basically run them all on or really close to the main listening position?  If so, should I place the microphone slightly behind the seat and a couple positions?

i personally run the first spot in where my head is then i run 2 and 3 about ten inches to the right and left. then 4,5,6 u run in the same spots as 123 but 6 inches up. then 7 and 8 i split the difference and another 6 inches up 

so 

-----7-------8------

5--------4---------6

2--------1---------3

No problem. :emotion-22: Just keep all the measurements close together like others have mentioned, and it'll be fine.

Contrary to their advertising literature and no matter how powerful the DSP algorithm employed, all commercial single mic methods are ultimately limited by the inability to determine azimuth and declination. So, mic'ing all over the place typically yields less-than-stellar results. Hence the fancy "closed loop" mic Trinnov developed and the jig included with some Yamaha YPAO receivers.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Quiet_Hollow said:

Just keep all the measurements close together like others have mentioned, and it'll be fine.

I was spreading them out based on the diagram I was finding online.  Will try Scrappy's positions when Jake is finished watching his show.

• Moderators

And here are the before / after settings between Audyssey Calibration and adjusting each channel levels to match the Front Left Speaker at 77db.

As you can see below, the Left and Center were showing 77db, I had to increase the right channel 1.5db, surrounds were increased 3 - 4db and subs were increased 8 - 9.5db.

I won't be able to demo to see how it sounds until tomorrow....just wanted to post my results.

audyssey-results-and-spl-adjustments.jpg

3 hours ago, Youthman said:

Scrappy, I have the mic on a tripod as close to ear level W when seat is reclined in my normal position.

image.jpg

If you have a boom mic you can place it off to the side and then you won't get any reflections off the stand.  It does make a big difference imo.  Nothing to do with the levels, just having it sound right.