Is Eminence Kappa 15C front gasket thick enough?

jorjen

K-33 front gasket is much thicker. I am going to try my pair of Kappa 15C in my set of La Scalas but was concerned about cone excursion and hitting the motor board with only the Eminence factory front mounting gasket. I can add a second gasket to the front if needed but I would rather not if I do not have to.

On 10/14/2016 at 1:16 PM, djk said:

Add another gasket if you intend to push things a bit, cheap insurance.

I had a customer crumple some woofer cones (only the thin stock gasket) with a 75W Crown D150.

I was thinking of doing it anyway just for peace of mind.

7 hours ago, MookieStl said:

The gasket on the ones I installed in my LS was more than sufficient. The 15c (like the K33) have low xmax so no drastic cone movement. If you can, post a photo. If you are concerned, add the extra gasket. Sometimes belt and suspenders is the way to go.

The Xmax on the 15C is only 4mm. Think I will do it anyway.

11 minutes ago, djk said:

"I have used the 15c several times, never had one contact motor board "

So, you all are willing to re-cone anyone that has a problem?

Right.

For me, a gasket is cheap insurance.

I agree, why take the chance.

Xmax may be limited to 2.4mm but Xlim is 11.6mm.

Not a fan of double gasketing myself, router a spacer out of 1/4" material would be best in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I have absolutely had the Eminence 15C slap in my belles.  Maybe I had over tightened the screws, or I listen too loud.   My wife did the install as I had just had surgery, so I thought they where loose when it started.  A month later when I could, I went in an tightened them myself and just made it worse.  It is possible... do get a spacer.

• Like 1

Honey Badger said:  "I have used the 15c several times, never had one contact motor board "

DJK said: "So, you all are willing to re-cone anyone that has a problem?"

What's the deal?   One can not come in to a thread you have commented on and offer personal experience with a particular product?

Your comment was completely unnecessary.

HB

On 10/17/2016 at 4:26 PM, jason str said:

I agree, why take the chance.

Xmax may be limited to 2.4mm but Xlim is 11.6mm.

Not a fan of double gasketing myself, router a spacer out of 1/4" material would be best in my opinion.

I have done spacers with my router many times and they have worked out great. Last time I did them was for use with the K-31's in my Jube Clone build. Guess I may as well do some more.

DSCN1410.JPG

DSCN1419.JPG

• Like 2

When I used the  Kappa 15C  in my Jamboree it would hit the mounting plate.  I was told I must have been listening too loud.  So I moved them to my Cornwalls and continued with K33 or Crties cast frames which have a lot thicker gasket.  So yes I would build a spacer (which It looks like you already know). 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jason str said:

Looks like nice work.

Thanks, I would like to think so. If you are interested in the rest of my build, hit the link below or cut & paste if it doesn't work. I have recently been asked(for the fourth time)to post the link in a new thread. I may do that as well.

http://s188.photobucket.com/user/dickweee/library/modified klipsch jubilee build?sort=3&page=1

• Like 1

Very nice work, my camera skills are kind of sad so rarely take pictures of my work but i can see you have great woodworking skills as well.

Just got through with a couple of subwoofers myself but FedEx managed to mangle them up pretty good somehow during shipping even though i packed them with care, very disappointing to say the least.

Keep up the great work.

"Your comment was completely unnecessary. "

Mine had a purpose, which you got, and it offended you.

You have a right to be offended.

Fine.

You have the right to drive without a seat-belt, and ride without a helmet too.