Another RSW 15 bites the dust

Amstaff

5 hours ago, babadono said:

Are you handy with that there voltmeter? I can send you a PDF of the service manual if you like. Drop me a PM if so.

I appreciate the offer - the parts are on their way to Edwards Electronics. 

I am considering a second sub - not sure what yet. I am intrigued by the DIY ones - Scrappydue's thread really peeked my interest.

The parts arrived at Edwards Electronics this week Tuesday. I hope to have them back in a few weeks.

A question for y'all: I removed the speaker and the passive - Klipsch used a real thin sealing tape on them. It seems aftermarket tape is all like weatherstripping tape (thin'ish foam). I assume I will need to seal it went putting it all back together. Is the foam tape OK for that?

Thanks - will keep this thread posted on progress.

• 2 weeks later...

HooHoo - my repaired stuff is on its way back from Edwards Electronics eta late next week (11/17).

I have ordered some gaskets:

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/speaker-gasket-replacement-repair-gas-15.html

and

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-speaker-gasketing-tape-1-8-x-3-8-x-50-ft-roll--260-540

the PE stuff both 3/8" and 1/2"

Anyone better than the other?

I am still itching to build a 18" box - we will see.

thanks derrick - I have some HD "window stuff" in my garage, old though. The PE  stuff,  if it's the same, is a premium price...all good if my sub is kicking *** in a week or two - happy, happy, joy, joy.

I have noticed since the RSW-15 has been out of order - the RS-7's put out some good bass too. Switched the Denon 4311Ci to large fronts....not too bad.

If the RSW-15 does not kick *** like it used to - out with the old :-)

Thanks for everyone's input!

The RSW-15 is back in business. Parts arrived today Tuesday (NC) not bad for FedEx ground from AZ that shipped on Friday.

Just got the sub put back together - works like it used to. 

Kudos to Edwards Electronics, turn around time was in line with expectations  -around 3 weeks door to door. Could not tell what component was replaced - but it works great. If your sub goes bye-bye I would recommend checking them out.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Amstaff said:

2 week update - 

I had forgotten how awesome this thing is - wife is playing some Rammstein as I type.

It is probably me - but it seems better than it ever was.

One happy camper here.

That is just awesome right there!!

On 10/19/2016 at 4:51 PM, twk123 said:

deleted

On 2016-10-28 at 2:59 PM, Amstaff said:

The parts arrived at Edwards Electronics this week Tuesday. I hope to have them back in a few weeks.

A question for y'all: I removed the speaker and the passive - Klipsch used a real thin sealing tape on them. It seems aftermarket tape is all like weatherstripping tape (thin'ish foam). I assume I will need to seal it went putting it all back together. Is the foam tape OK for that?

Thanks - will keep this thread posted on progress.

I'm thinking of contacting Edwards Electronics to fix my RSW-12.

i noticed you mentioned removing the speaker.  Will I have to do that or just remove the amp?

I removed both - speaker and passive.

The amp is in the middle of the box, between the "speakers" - at least it was on the RSW-15. Maybe you could get way with only removing one or the other- i dont recall (age :-) )

On mine the rear one is the speaker, the front is the passive.

They are held in (besides the screws) by a thin tape, easy enough to work free with a little bit of patience, prying etc.Same story for the control plate, remove the screws, and pry up gently.

On 12/2/2016 at 7:11 PM, Amstaff said:

2 week update - 

I had forgotten how awesome this thing is - wife is playing some Rammstein as I type.

It is probably me - but it seems better than it ever was.

One happy camper here.

NICE.... glad you got your sub back up and playing....

Rammstein:emotion-21::emotion-21:

MKP :-)

On 10/15/2016 at 9:20 AM, Amstaff said:

I am bummed. My 12+ year old RSW 15 has died. If I leave it plugged in and switched off for a few minutes and then switch it on - I get a brief red light (less than a second) and then nothing. Sometimes if I leave it plugged in and switched on - the red light will come on and stay on after about 30 to 45 minutes. Will never go green - and, obviously, no sound. Any ideas? Worth fixing?

This beast has been the cornerstone of our HT setup since we bought it (along with RF7s, RC7 and RS7s). It has been driven by a Yamaha RX-Z1 and now a Denon 4311Ci (the Z1 kicks the Denon's behind btw).

Dilema: what to replace the RSW 15 with? Does not have to be Klipsch - do they even have a comparable or better model today? What other brands/models do y'all suggest?

95+% of our HT use is movies.