Another RSW 15 bites the dust

Amstaff

Beside I have my sub plugged into a  separate receptacle not a  Power conditioner  for I heard 

they can kill a sub ! I use up grade hospital receptacles

That's interesting Charles, I haven't heard that before. Do you know how a power strip can kill a sub? I'll def look into switching over to a separate outlet if it's a real danger. 

The hospital grade outlet is an interesting way to go. What about them is upgraded over standard receptacles?

Thanks for your suggestions!

I feel the sub should have its own separate receptacle for it has its own amp but that's just 

my feeling . To many things plugged in can cause things to go wrong .

and yes the  hospital grade is a up grade ,

you don't want it to fail . 

Hospital grade plugs provide superior resistance to "pull out" of whatever is plugged into them.  I can't think of any other benefit.  I believe you can get them in different colors as well.  Typically the orange ones denote plugs that run off of the hospital stand by generator in the event of a power failure.

• Like 1

Yes , that's it lol 

I just wanted to upgrade the receptacles 

to my  audio to make sure they don't fail .

i also seen some on he end  audio

some that go for $250 to over $500

lol I guess they can hear grass grow l lol 

I also was at a  audio hi five store the other day 

and they had a used TT selling for $29,000.00

does anyone want to buy it ? Oh it's in  Canadian dollars  so that would be cheap to most of you guys lol  

• 1 month later...

The hospital grade ones are 20amps and are solid copper and grab all the male plug going into it. A very good and a less expensive upgrade and a do possible dedicated line to that outlet The 20 amp breaker that will resolve a lot of your problems I'm running one Marantz five channel amp three Sonos two channel amps and One Klipsch 12 inch sub Woofer and they were all running off of their own 20 amp breaker's so I get no light dimming when running full power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all, first post. Has anyone tried taking the RSW15 amp apart to get access to the bottom of the two main circuit boards to check continuity on all of the capacitors?  I'd like to before sending into EdwardsElectronics, but the way it's all screwed together, I wondered if there was a proper way to disassemble. There's a white plastic support rod about 3/4" tall that is glued to the top board (right in the middle of it) and screwed in by a single screw from the bottom of the aluminum plate (see pic). Appreciate any disassembly tips. 90% of the time it's a bad capacitor(s). 

(Hey 'scooksville'. EdwardsElectronics was very responsive after emailing through eBay, verses no response via their website phone # or email address.  His voicemail box is full. He was, however fast to respond via eBay and was pretty descriptive/helpful, which built my confidence of paying up-front and shipping my amp when I'm ready to.) 

Thanks all

image1.JPG

• 5 months later...
On 6/16/2017 at 7:36 PM, 8track said:

Hi all, first post. Has anyone tried taking the RSW15 amp apart to get access to the bottom of the two main circuit boards to check continuity on all of the capacitors?  I'd like to before sending into EdwardsElectronics, but the way it's all screwed together, I wondered if there was a proper way to disassemble. There's a white plastic support rod about 3/4" tall that is glued to the top board (right in the middle of it) and screwed in by a single screw from the bottom of the aluminum plate (see pic). Appreciate any disassembly tips. 90% of the time it's a bad capacitor(s). 

(Hey 'scooksville'. EdwardsElectronics was very responsive after emailing through eBay, verses no response via their website phone # or email address.  His voicemail box is full. He was, however fast to respond via eBay and was pretty descriptive/helpful, which built my confidence of paying up-front and shipping my amp when I'm ready to.) 

Thanks all

Are you trying to fix it yourself? Maybe we can try together? I got mine for $200canadian and just running the sub with an external amp. I have not tried to fix the amp yet.  The last owner tried but failed.  The main switch mode power supply inductor was fried and this is how he replaced it. What does yours look like?  The schematic does not give an inductor value.  Any chance you can test your inductance value?  

SWR 15 Sub Amp.jpg

• 1 year later...

Digging up my old thread - 

Well, my RSW-15 is dead again. As this thread shows, I had it repaired 2 yrs ago and it worked great for 2 years. 

I have no idea what to replace it with. Klipsch do not seem to have an equivalent - or am I missing it? My setup is similar the post #1 (RF7s up front, RC7 center and RS7s sides). I changed the receiver to a Yamaha RX-A3060 shortly after the repair 2 yrs ago. We watch mostly movies in a somewhat open room 20'x14'x9'.

Starting to look at SVS and Hsu. maybe DIY an 18" - any suggestions?

Not sure what I will do with the RSW-15, maybe fix it again down the road, maybe sell it.

Can't you simply buy a decent external sub amp and just run speaker wire into the cabinet and to the driver.  Leave the shitty plate amp where it's at, disconnected and fully sealed.   You will still have all the controls and way better reliability as long as you have room to add one more piece of equipment.

I had a RSW 15 , But it got water log a bit when my basement got flooded . The insurance paid for the New p-312w and that was fine with me 😎 I also had a RSW 12 but gave that to my Son .

they are great subs but I believe the Bass with the P-312w is  so much  different  Then the RSW   15 ..... one could be watching a Movie and your not hearing the bass at times but your body is 

getting bass  Vibes that you feel . It’s  hard to describe unless you have one . I have said 

klipsch should come out will a   Anniversary 

Klipsch RSW 15 I know they would sell ! 

I also believe there is a web site that fixes these 

If I can find the web site I will send it to you .

I believe you send in the part , they fix it , and send it back to you !