Another RSW 15 bites the dust

Amstaff

Thanks for the input everyone.

Ā 

The P-312w does not appear to be available on the Klipsch site. I see some other urls with a Google search where it sells for $2499. That is the same price a the SVS PB16-Ultra - which looks like a lot more sub. My concern with the SVS is the weight: 175lbs - this will hurt if I need to move it.

Ā 

I have had my RSW15 repaired once (2 years ago) by Edwards Electronics - it worked great for 2 years. I am looking at maybe driving it with an external amp like one of the posts mentioned above. Anyone done this?

Ā 

Decisions, decisions.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Amstaff said:

I have had my RSW15 repaired once (2 years ago) by Edwards Electronics - it worked great for 2 years.

Ā 

It would be nice if you could find someone to completely refurbish the original amplifier, not just repair what is wrong right now. The RSW-15 may very well be one of the best subwoofers ever made for music in my opinion, extremely fast and accurate bass slam.

Ā 

If looking for a new sub I'd look into the Klipsch Ultra 2 subwoofer set, deals pop up for them while not quite as accurate as the RSW line they will have a ton more output and low end extension.

4 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

klipschļ»æĀ ļ»æshould come out will a Ā  AnniversaryĀ 

Klipsch RSW 15 I know theyļ»æĀ would sell !Ā ļ»æ

Ā 

YUPPPP

Ā 

The new C-308ASWI for $1299 list.

The C-310AWSI @ $1599

These are just standard black cabinets, add real wood veneer and the remake similar to the RSW-15 would be priced too high for what it is and likely not be a big seller in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Refurbishing = GARBAGE. I have done it for a few years. If it passes, it ships, PERIOD. PLEASE DO NOT buy refurbished.Ā  You have been warned.Ā 

Ā 

I'm not talking about buying a refurbished amp, I'm saying it would be nice if he could find someone that would take the time to thoroughly go through the entire amplifier that he has and replace all of the wearable parts like capacitors and such to make it like new again, no reason he couldn't get another 15-20 years out of it with proper servicing, especially if higher quality parts are used on replacement.Ā 

18 minutes ago, Amstaff said:

Ā 

The P-312w does not appear to be available on the Klipsch site. I see some other urls with a Google search where it sells for $2499. That is the same price a the SVS PB16-Ultra - which looks like a lot more sub. My concern with the SVS is the weight: 175lbs - this will hurt if I need to move it.

Ā 

I have had my RSW15 repaired once (2 years ago) by Edwards Electronics - it worked great for 2 years. I am looking at maybe driving it with an external amp like one of the posts mentioned above. Anyone done this?

Ā 

Decisions, decisions.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

If you need a decent sub that's reasonable check out the HSU VTF 15H MK2

Ā 

8 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Refurbishing = GARBAGE. I have done it for a few years. If it passes, it ships, PERIOD. PLEASE DO NOT buy refurbished.Ā  You have been warned.Ā 

Ā 

I agree, the interior of a subwoofer is a harsh environment for an amplifier.

2 hours ago, Amstaff said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Decisions, decisions.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

All of us that have passive subs do it.Ā  Anyone who has built a horn loaded sub uses a separate external sub amp.Ā Ā  I have a THT LP that is powered by a Bash 300 plate amp that I mounted in a wooden box that I built, it sits off to the side of all my other gear.Ā 

42 minutes ago, Amstaff said:

Thanks JVS1670 - appreciate the input. I will likely try "passive-fying" the RSW later.

Ā 

Right now, I am close to pulling the trigger on a SVS PB-16 Ultra.

Ā 

All good stuff on this forum - thanks again all.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

For that kind of cash you could buy 2 of those HSU subs and have money left over.

2 Hsu's , Yes - true.

But considering I spent $1900 on the RSW-15 in 2003'ish - spending a bit more now is moot.

Ā 

I have a SVSĀ PBļ»æ16 Uļ»æltļ»ærļ»æļ»æa inbound. Looking forward to it. Will still fix the RSW-15 - withĀ an external amp in the future.Ā 

I still have RF7s, RS7s and an RC7 - so I will be back....

Ā 

Good luck to all and thank you again!

Ā 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Amstaff said:

2 Hsu's , Yes - true.

But considering I spent $1900 on the RSW-15 in 2003'ish - spending a bit more now is moot.

Ā 

I have a SVSĀ PBļ»æ16 Uļ»æltļ»ærļ»æļ»æa inbound. Looking forward to it. Will still fix the RSW-15 - withĀ an external amp in the future.Ā 

I still have RF7s, RS7s and an RC7 - so I will be back....

Ā 

Good luck to all and thank you again!

Ā 

Ā 

There were better options at that price point was what i was trying to say but i hope you are happy with your purchase and the new sub lasts as long as the old model.

Ā 

Good choice with the external amplifier. :emotion-21:

I see theĀ Behringer NX3000D...DSPĀ Ā has these specs: "Power output: 2 x 1500W @ 2 ohms, 2 x 900W @ 4 ohms, 2 x 440W @ 8 ohms ā€¢ Bridged power output: 3000W @ 4 ohms, 1500W @ 8 ohms"

So, as I understand it - 900W@4 ohm or 440W@8 ohm would be ~750W@6 ohm....no? If so,Ā thatĀ will be fine. Anyone know for sure what the impedance is on the RSW-15 driver? Is it 6 ohm? I have not opened mine up to look - yet.

Ā 

jvs - that Bash is cheaper (nice). 500W enough? I would still need to make a box for it. I am OK with drilling into the RSW-15 (cherry) for a binding post or 2. Not sure I would want to mount the Bash on/in the sub.

Ā 

Thanks again.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā