Small town, BIG SOUND!

Mallette

TSO.jpgWhat a night!  I am SO proud of my hometown orchestra.  While it is poor etiquette, I had a feeling the Maestro and our band was going to really go over the top with this piece so I camera corded the last movement.  I only uploaded the last couple of minutes here but the sheer energy is extraordinary.  The applause went on for at least 2 minutes and 4 curtain calls.  Being Texarkana, the "bravos" were interspersed with "YeeHAWS..." 

I spoke with a violinist who travels from Little Rock to play with the TSO after the concert.  She said she's played Chicago, Dallas, and many fine halls but likes the Perot more than any of them acoustically.  She called it "intimate."  I fully agree.  This was shot from my seats in sixth row balcony, and it think visually and acoustically they are pretty well the best seats in the house.  Of course, the phone is hardly a great audio recorder and the image isn't anything to write home about...but I think the excitement will come across.  I have an extra seat that is occasionally unfilled, so anyone within driving distance who'd like to attend I'll provide both bed and ticket if you enquire.  I'll let you know a week or more in advance of whether that seat is available. 

The Berlioz is a very interesting piece.  Leonard Bernstein described the symphony as the first musical expedition into psychedelia because of its hallucinatory and dream-like nature, and because history suggests Berlioz composed at least a portion of it under the influence of opium. According to Bernstein, "Berlioz tells it like it is. You take a trip, you wind up screaming at your own funeral."

TSO.mpg

• Like 5

Glad you enjoyed the show Dave:emotion-21::emotion-21:

I have only attended one classical live orchestra show.... it was the Nut Cracker Ballet. It was when I lived in Seattle. The show was at the Seattle Opera House and of course the music was performed by the Seattle Symphony Orchestra. It was back in my early twenties and I really thought it was going to suck.... but I was blown away...

MKP :-)

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Weber said:

Like most other music, Classical music is a lot better live. 

Completely true for me more than any other music.

Pretty cool for a town that size, glad you had a good time.

9 hours ago, Mallette said:

I had a feeling the Maestro and our band was going to really go over the top with this piece

so I camera corded the last movement.  I only uploaded the last couple of minutes here but the sheer energy is extraordinary. 

What???  NO WAY you can go overboard with this ending!  Magnificent brass, POUNDING lower brass, you captured BY FAR the best part of this piece!  And the tempos were perfect

You guys all have great stereo systems, TURN THIS BABY UP!  You won't regret it.  B)

+++

Dave was so excited he forgot to tell us this is perfect Halloween music, Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique.  Dave recorded the ending of the 5th mvt.

If you want to check out some more of the "exciting" part of the symphony, listen to the 4th mvt as well, the March to the Scaffold.  Dream of a Witch's Sabbath is good too.

It's the good stuff.

Glad to hear it isn't just hometown pride!

I am going to seek the Maestro's permission to record the concerts and post to YouTube as well as make CDs for the symphony to sell locally.  I'll do it in DSD with a Tascam DA-3000 so I can transparently transcode to anything.  Eventually, I'll do a SoundCube surround recording there, assuming I get permission to do this.  Pretty good chance, as I've gotten to know him a bit through the RMHC and they'll be borrowing my 1928 Marshall & Wendell AMPICO player piano for the February "Rhythm & Ragtime" program which will salute local music including Scott Joplin and Conlon Nancarrow.  We'll also be loaning them our rare Nancarrow rolls.  So, I should be able to get his ear. 

Anyway, it's a lot of fun.  I AM living the dream!  Retirement isn't as relaxing as one might think.  In fact, busier than ever...but FAR more satisfying!

Dave

• Like 1

When I was in my early 20s, an acquaintance loaned me a box of about 75 LPs of Bach and Mozart recordings. Being mostly into folk/rock and country at the time, it was quite an education. Putting something in a pipe probably didn't hurt any either.

Jump 25-30 years later when my youngest son decided he wanted to play trumpet, later to be in the Chattanooga Youth Symphony, we would go to see the regular symphony once a week. He would go to their rehearsals with copies of the scores so he could follow along. He ended up studying music at Valpo, and was 1st Trumpet, got to travel to Europe. Got a degree in composition... I learned a lot from him, and for the past 15 years or so grown the collection of CDs containing orchestral music.

Great job, Dave! And kudos to your small town symphony!

Bruce

Larry, my younger son graduated from Valparaiso U. in 2010, still working on his music. He tries to write something every day (like his older sister who is a published writer). When he told us once that he wanted to head another direction, we pointed out what he spent all his time doing - music...

Bruce